PDA

View Full Version : Counselling / Dr Claire Weekes CD

ChilliChocolate
09-04-14, 12:05
Hi all!

Yesterday was a huge day for me. I was completely exhausted by evening. The main thing I wanted to share was two things:

1. Counselling - I was told that after a referral from my GP to mental health services, it would be over 4 month waiting list. I am so shocked that this service is so very overwhelmed. Unfortunately I can't afford to pay for counselling myself so I sought help from local charities. The two are 'Mind' and 'Age UK'. Both have offered me counselling with a waiting time of 2 - 3 weeks. I'm so relieved! Also they receive a small amount of local government and NHS funding so it's nice to know that I'm not taking up a charities resources. Can't wait!! Has anyone else had trouble accessing counselling within their area?

2. I got Dr Claire Weekes CD yesterday on panic attacks and - WOW - I listened to it all throughout the day crying my little heart out. It is amazing! Seriously every thought, feeling, fear that I have had over the past couple of months is presented in this CD. A huge weight was lifted from listening to her voice. She understands and explains. She motivates and encourages. What hit me the hardest is that these recordings are over 40 years old!! Has anyone else listened to it?

Dr Claire Weekes book has arrived this morning so I'm going to read that today too.

Take care everyone!!

CC x

mummyanxious
09-04-14, 12:56
I got an initial assessment through the MHS with my gp today. It was only an initial assessment of my suitability and I've been put forward for intense CBT. Unfortunately there's a waiting list. She didn't say how long but as I've been through them before I know it'll be months rather than weeks. It's frustrating when you're trying to turn your life around isn't it.

Where did you get the cd? I've got all the books and agree she is great and I have recommended to many others.

ChilliChocolate
09-04-14, 13:46
Indeed it is frustrating! Just shows how congested or underfunded mental health in the NHS is?

I got the CD from Amazon. 'Pass through Panic' I think it is called.

cloudbusting
09-04-14, 18:15
Hi CC
That's weird I got those cds the other day and listened to them yesterday back to back, flipping brilliant. I love her books too but there is something about her calm and practical tone of voice that just makes the information sink in better. So worth it and yes I agree hard to believe that they were recorded in 1967 !
Lisa x

Catherine S
09-04-14, 18:30
I have always loved her books and they have helped me loads in the past, but reading and listening to her is not enough, you have to trust her enough to follow her advice not just read, listen and then ignore it all! Trust her and you will get through it :)

mummyanxious
09-04-14, 20:17
Thanks CC just purchased so will wait for its arrival :)

ChilliChocolate
10-04-14, 10:46
That is so cool Lisa! I have put it on my ipod and the disc's are in the car. Hubby and the kids don't like it but I don't care. They mistake her tone as overly-authoritive but to me it is motivational. It's not something I can listen to before bed and meditate to though.

I still believe - you really get the impression you can trust her because she believes in what she is saying. There is no half measure's, if's or but's about it. That is something that I really respond to.

MA - that is excellent! I sincerely hope you enjoy it!! Let me know what you think. : )

CC x

Steve1964
24-02-15, 15:25
I have just purchased Hope and Help For Your Nerves on audiobook via iTunes. I will be listening to it shortly. This is basically the last step for me before going to counselling.

Cody2015
24-02-15, 22:09
I have all of Claire Weekes audios. She is a master. It's not easy though. It takes a lot of practice and patience. I'm so SICK of the panic monster. 30 years of this is enough.

23fish
01-03-15, 23:34
I've just found the Claire Weekes Facebook page. which has audio clips from her talks - really useful