PDA

View Full Version : Can liver tumor be felt through the skin?

Mitch4186
09-04-14, 20:43
Hi, I'm 28 years old and have been a moderate drinker since about 23, averaging maybe 2-3 drinks a day (hard liquor), but there have been periods where I would take a break from drinking. Recently I've been nervous about a mass I can feel in my upper right abdomen, below my right breast. Whenever I take in a deep breath, I can feel something sort of popping out for a brief second in between my ribs in that area, like a bubble almost.

I recently had blood work done that showed liver was normal, and an ultrasound that didnt pick up anything abnormal. Of course with health anxiety thats not enough to be convinced you dont have cancerous tumor, so I've kind of been freaking out about it.

I was wondering if anyone knew what are the odds this would be cancer, with normal bloodwork? And if the ultrasound could miss something like that? Also, could a liver tumor even be felt through the skin like that?

I guess I just need some sort of reassurance. Any feedback to help put my mind at ease is appreciated.

almamatters
09-04-14, 20:46
Liver problems would show in blood tests and definitely on an ultrasound. Unsure about liver tumour being felt through the skin but from someone that had a lot of tests on her liver last year, ultrasound would show problems.

Phuzella
09-04-14, 20:52
Liver cancer would definitely show up on blood tests.

Mitch4186
09-04-14, 20:59
Thanks for the replies. Cannot tell you how much that helps me right now.

Fishmanpa
09-04-14, 21:04
Just wanted to add... as you already know....

Anxiety and alcohol don't mix... proven medical fact. You could kill two birds with one stone by quitting.

Positive thoughts

Mitch4186
09-04-14, 21:19
Thanks Fishmanpa, I hear you on that. I do take occasional breaks from drinking, just to assure myself I dont have a problem. But lately its been harder to resist. After a few drinks, all those worries I had are gone and I can just relax for a while.

unsure_about_this
09-04-14, 21:28
Liver cancer felt under skin, not sure. The doctor may be able to feel slight enlargement. However as others has said blood tests would show a problem.

Please don't google about it.

ankietyjoe
09-04-14, 21:38
Thanks Fishmanpa, I hear you on that. I do take occasional breaks from drinking, just to assure myself I dont have a problem. But lately its been harder to resist. After a few drinks, all those worries I had are gone and I can just relax for a while.

That qualifies as a problem.

Mitch4186
09-04-14, 21:57
Thanks for the helpful response Joe. Guess that depends on who you ask. I dont think I have a problem because it doesnt interfere with my day to day routine, but occasionally I need a few drinks after work to relax and take my mind off stuff. Some people might say thats a problem. Or that I'm just a functioning alcoholic. Others might say thats pretty normal. My HA is the bigger problem.

cpe1978
09-04-14, 22:12
Although Joe phrased it rather crudely, there is a point in there. Liver disease is one of the most rapidly growing issues in western cultures where drinking is often done to excess. There is significant research that now indicates that, a couple of drinks to relax over a prolonged period of time is enough to cause damage, with liver disease often not showing itself until the latter stages.

So I would argue that HA is the smaller problem by virtue of the fact that it is fundamentally curable. The other good news is that liver problems, which are obviously a concern to you are also largely reversible, by virtue of the liver's amazing capacity to repair itself.

I hope this doesn't come across as too judgmental as we all enjoy a drink, but given that your HA seems to focus on your liver it does seem somewhat counter intuitive.

Good luck.

LE
09-04-14, 22:14
Would defo be seen on an ultrasound. I have a benign cyst on my liver that was found incidentally whilst looking for gallstones.

ankietyjoe
09-04-14, 22:29
Thanks for the helpful response Joe. Guess that depends on who you ask. I dont think I have a problem because it doesnt interfere with my day to day routine, but occasionally I need a few drinks after work to relax and take my mind off stuff. Some people might say thats a problem. Or that I'm just a functioning alcoholic. Others might say thats pretty normal. My HA is the bigger problem.

Alcohol is merely a legal drug.

If you're using it to self medicate then it's a problem. Perhaps not a big one yet, but still a problem. The most important word you used there is 'need'.

I'm honestly being judgmental, it's just the way it is as I see it.

Mitch4186
09-04-14, 22:42
Thanks for the responses. I mainly just wanted some feedback on this lump or whatever I'm feeling and if it could possibly be cancer. Based on some of the replies it seems very unlikely or impossible. Now I can rest a little bit easier. Thanks again