PDA

View Full Version : Panic attacks on flight

Rhyme
09-04-14, 23:15
Hi.... New here.... I have severe issue of flying alone... Or being alone... What should be done is out of my understanding..... Any good advice out there.....thanx

ChilliChocolate
10-04-14, 10:34
Hi Rhyme, I'm a newbie too but just wanted to say 'Welcome'. Hope you find the answers you need!

SADnomore
11-04-14, 05:26
Hi, Rhyme!
I hear you. I sometimes think of taking a pill before boarding, but the only ones I have are for sleep, which really would only be okay on a long haul overnight flight. Can't take benzos. Meanwhile, I live in a remote and inhospitable place, and in order to visit family or to get away occasionally (another thing my anxiety and depression cry out for), I must fly. I try to remember the actual rarity of accidents re: planes vs accidents by other forms of transportation. Current news events nothwithstanding, it really is one of the safest ways to get around. That said, I didn't fly much before moving up here, and so it wasn't until I was on my first flight of long duration that I began to feel anxious. Got a crazy impulse after about 5 hours to approach a flight attendant and have her ask the pilot to please land at the nearest airport and let me disembark, as I felt the need to get off the plane. They didn't even need to discharge my checked bag, just let me deplane and I'd worry about it later. Very sorry, but I truly needed a break, feeling claustrophobic. Would resume trip after a bit, thank you very much. ... Seriously had to mentally reason hard with myself that this was not a reasonable request, and would likely be met with some kind of unpleasant consequence. Not the least of which would be from my husband, who was seated next to me! Lol! And of course I realized they would not be landing because one person said they had had enough airtime for the moment. I mean, it was irrational, but I did realize that, and didn't even voice my thoughts to my husband. I for sure do not want him getting it in his head that I can't travel. I NEED to be able to do this. This has only really ever happened on flights of greater than about 4 1/2 to 5 hours. I think if we ever go overseas I would need to knock myself out with a sleeping pill, day or night :( Sorry for going on at you, asking for help! ... Wondering, do you think you might do alright making very short duration trips by air? Maybe you could split longer trips into a number of "legs", so as to balance off flying with lots of airport time where you can walk about, pop into a pub there and watch tv for a bit and that kind of thing? I find I feel better after chatting up my fellow travelers. Most people don't mind in the initial few minutes before/during takeoff, and it can be very helpfully distracting for me. ... As for being alone, I find it most disturbing whenever I am very very ill. I don't think it's fair to expect that of anyone! But my husband prefers to be left alone when he is ill, and doesn't understand at all. The rest of my family are all the same as me, and we will all phone each other for comfort when that's happening.
Marie
Hopefully others will soon have good advice, as I am sure you have done your best to reason with yourself already, and reach out to loved ones when possible if alone. ... If I have to stay overnight at home alone, I will sleep on the couch with a lamp on low, and or tv, and we have cats which helps a little, lol!

cartwheels
11-04-14, 20:38
Hi
I hate flying but what helps me is pop a phone an one hour before take off with a glass of wine and good night :)