PDA

View Full Version : Can healthy moles hurt if irritated?

bulan
10-04-14, 05:50
It began with a news story about someone very much like me, a young parent with a baby, battling melanoma.

That's all it took for me to become paranoid about all of my moles, and the fact that it hadn't occurred to me to be checked by a dermatologist... ever.

So at my first appointment last month, the dermatologist checked each mole causing me concern, and found nothing to worry about.

I still felt freaked, so I told her I wanted some moles removed.

Not long after, I saw the general surgeon. (My dermatologist doesn't remove larger moles.) But for a variety of reasons, I turned down the chance to have all of the moles removed that day. I took the next available appointment--one month away.

Which brings me to today. My appointment is still a couple weeks away, but one of my moles, on my upper chest, has become sensitive, and the area around it (not the skin, but underneath) feels sore or achy from time to time.

Now my son, who's 1.5 years old, is extremely active while nursing. He has recently (within the last week) picked at that mole. He also grabs a fist-full of my hair and tosses it around, bumping my chest in the process. Also, he's a gymnast anytime he's in my lap--pushing, pulling, climbing, rappelling, turning, flipping, what-have-you. He has punched and pushed around my chest ongoingly for several months.

Also, I have fibromyalgia. One of my symptoms is the popular "pain echo." In other words, if someone gives me a firm handshake, if I bump into something hard--or if my toddler head-butts me on the chest--that part of my body will feel pain for seconds or minutes after the 'impact'. And sometimes I have pain in these places for no reason at all.

So... my mole is sensitive. It hurts if irritated. And my chest immediately around the mole feels sore and achy.

Logic tells me I have my delightfully lively son to thank for it, and chances are that the mole on my chest is healthy and normal.

But health anxiety tells me I have rapidly-growing melanoma, that it's infiltrated the tissue in my chest, that it might already have taken up residence in nearby lymph nodes.

I still plan to get moles removed during my appointment in two weeks--as many as I can afford to have removed!

But I'm having a bit of a hard time staying on top of my anxiety while I wait. My worst fear is that--if I have melanoma--it would've been treatable if I'd asked the surgeon to remove my moles during our first appointment, and that it'll be too late when I have them removed at the end of April.

It sounds extreme, I know. But I'm needing reassurance, I think. If you've stuck with me this long, THANK YOU! :bighug1: Thank you for listening and sympathizing. I'd very much like to hear from you.

Lilharry
10-04-14, 08:53
Yes, they can become irritated. Give it at least a week or so to calm down and try not to bump it.

Aussie11
10-04-14, 09:22
They definitely can get irritated. If it was a melanoma, it would rapidly change in appearance on surface first before growing down into skin as far as I hear. I've had a few moles removed and been very paranoid about a lot of mine but they have always turned out to be fine. I'm sure yours has just been irritated and will be fine. Even if was slightly changing the fact you have appointment in a couple of weeks means I'm sure it will be fine and they can deal with it then!

maribel
10-04-14, 15:31
Oh absolutely they can get irritated! They could hurt, they could itch, they could get red around it.

Vigilante
10-04-14, 19:32
Yeah, I have various moles, some just the brown flat small ones, some raised and firm and one that is soft and big. I have had spots come up under moles, annoyed one shaving before and so on, it can be pretty easy to annoy them at times.

The only one that is worth removing on myself is the big soft one on my lower back but I never ever expose that one to sunlight.

I wouldn't personally have any other moles removed, and have seen others peoples moles actually come back after removal before.

bulan
11-04-14, 01:47
Thanks, Lilharry, I'm giving that a try. :)

---------- Post added at 00:39 ---------- Previous post was at 00:38 ----------

Aussie11, thanks for the reassurance. I'm trying to remember that two weeks isn't all that far away. :)

---------- Post added at 00:44 ---------- Previous post was at 00:39 ----------

maribel, that's interesting. I hadn't heard about healthy moles having redness... I'll be sure to ask the dermatologist about it.

---------- Post added at 00:47 ---------- Previous post was at 00:44 ----------

Vigilante, now that you mention it, I think I've heard that moles can come back after being removed.

I have to say, though, the only reason I want them removed is to get them tested... which ultimately will bring peace of mind. I'm just paranoid because I haven't had my moles checked by a dermatologist at all, ever.

So after these are removed, I'm sure (I hope) I'll feel calmer about it, especially since I plan to see a dermatologist annually from now on. :)

bulan
24-04-14, 09:07
I'm requesting reassurance again please...

I finally get my moles removed in an appointment less than one week from now.

While I should feel reassured, I'm fearful about one mole in particular. I've noticed no changes to it, or if there are changes, they're so slow that I don't notice them. My dermatologist wasn't worried about it, and even urged me not to have it removed (for aesthetic reasons).

But I can't shake my worries about it. I feel an ache in the area underneath it. A circular part within it looks ever so slightly raised, almost imperceptibly so. But To the casual glance, it still looks flat.

And yet, you never know with cancer... Sometimes melanoma escapes the doctor's notice. And if so, what then?

I've even spent part f the evening scouring older photos to see if I could find a picture of my mole for comparison, but I had no luck. Most pictures were too blurry.

This is keeping me up tonight, even though I desperately need sleep. As I mentioned, I could use reassurance. Thank you!

Fishmanpa
24-04-14, 12:44
A medical professional trained and specialized in skin issues and has seen more moles than everyone here combined reassured you.

Based on what you said, accepting what the doctor said would have been more than enough for most but HA makes you doubt things.

Positive thoughts

bulan
24-04-14, 13:37
Thanks, Fishmanpa.

I should mention that the thing making my 'melanoma anxiety' especially resilient is that it was triggered by a story in the news of a young parent (like me) whose doctor misdiagnosed a cancerous mole. This young parent now may not live to see his child grow up--which is one of my biggest fears.

Added to this is that both the dermatologist and the general surgeon told me that no one can be 100% sure that a mole isn't cancerous, even if it looks fine.

So, this specific anxiety of mine may turn out to be a bit more stubborn than the others. I'll have an easier time believing the ENT if he tells me that my endoscopy turned out fine. But trust in my dermatologist's diagnosis may not come as easily. Hence the multiple mole removal, which is scheduled for next week. :blush:

bulan
26-04-14, 20:26
At the Naturopath today, she asked me if I had gotten my moles checked by a dermatologist.

I told her, "Yes," and that both the dermatologist and the general surgeon who also checked them reported no sinister-looking moles. (Naturally, both of them also said they can't guarantee that none of my moles are cancerous.)

And yet, thanks to my anxiety, the very fact of the Naturopath asking me about them sends my fear skyrocketing. :(

I'm having them removed this Wednesday. I can't wait. I need them tested before finding any sense of peace about all this.

But I'm struggling to contain my fear again... My husband and I both have friends who died young from skin cancer, so their stories, along with the ones I've seen in the news, keep surfacing in my thoughts. This is tough, and I somehow need to find a way of staying on top of my fear until I get my test results back.

This is hard. :weep:

bulan
30-04-14, 02:54
Tomorrow's the day my moles are removed. I'm nervous about the results, of course. But I'm trying to remember that no doctor is officially worried about them.

I'm so grateful for my husband who supports me through this, especially for the sake of my own peace of mind.

Since my moles aren't raising red flags with the dermatologist, the removal is considered elective surgery, which means I pay the general surgeon arm and a leg for his work.

Once the moles are checked, if any are found to be cancerous, I'll get my money back for them, and public health insurance will foot the bill instead.

So as my husband says, this is one charge we hope won't be refunded! :)

---------- Post added at 21:54 ---------- Previous post was at 20:37 ----------

I'm feeling more nervous as the evening wears on... I'm worried about biopsy results.

If you have any stories or tips to share about getting through this waiting period, it would be a needed boost for me at the moment...

Thank you. :)

bulan
01-05-14, 04:51
I'm surprised how relieved I feel, now that I've had the worrisome moles removed--all ten of them!

The surgeon said he'd be extremely (he used a handful of adjectives here) surprised if any of my moles tested positive for cancer. According to him, they were all normal.

So, here's hoping. :)

On the down side, it'll take three weeks for the results to come back. That's a longer wait than I expected. A tad unnerving.

Worried 24/7
01-05-14, 12:24
I'm sure the results will be fine :-)