PDA

View Full Version : Speech delay 1 year old

RoseEve
10-04-14, 15:06
Okay I need some advice because as we all know it's hard to tell if HA is creeping up or if there is a real concern. My son is 22 months old. He says a handful of words and doesn't always use his index finger to point. I read on a few websites that a characteristic of autism is using a parents hand as a tool. For example, my son will take my hand and place it on a jar so I know to open it. Do other kids without autism do this? I do believe he is speech delayed. I really don't believe he has autism as he has no other red flags. What do you guys think? Should I have him evaluated or just relax? My doctor said to leave him be until he is 2.

roxy90
10-04-14, 15:12
My 20 month old only says a handful of words. I worry about it too, but i'm always told to relax. It's hard though when kids younger than her are chattering away! I've also been told to leave until she is 2. Though July is so far away I hope she picks up by then :)

Fishmanpa
10-04-14, 15:15
Relax.... Kids are kids and every one is different. Listen to your doctor, love and enjoy him :)

Positive thoughts

maribel
10-04-14, 15:21
OH don't worry. My best friend's son was almost two and wouldn't say ANY words! If he wanted something he'd stand and point and go "ah - ah - ah"
She never thought anything of it, but I'd go home and really wonder about that... he is now 18, star player on his hockey team and is looking into colleges for the fall! Totally normal child:)
My second cousin's child was about 2 and a half and wasn't talking! He is now about 25 and a FINE young man! (again totally normal)
Is this a 2'nd or 3'rd child? (or a first)

RoseEve
10-04-14, 15:32
Thank you for the replies. He is my second. I'm more worried at the moment about using my hand as a tool. Anyone else little one do this?

Fishmanpa
10-04-14, 15:59
Thank you for the replies. He is my second. I'm more worried at the moment about using my hand as a tool. Anyone else little one do this?

It's called "Mom is way easier".

Positive thoughts

realworrier
10-04-14, 18:23
My 3rd recently turned 3 and is not stringing words together although that is changing daily and I think as he has 2 older sisters he doesn't need to say anything. I feel this could be the same for your lo.
I thought until recently when I asked his key worker at nursery if he could have autism she laughed at me. His temper tantrums were amazing and would be for the tiniest thing! is a very fussy eater at home can skip dinner altogether. Doesn't like having his fingernails or toenails clipped. If Daddy is at home for a few days then goes back to work he screams the place down for several minutes. According to his key worker he is a normal 3 year old boy. Yes his speech is delayed but not enough to even be referred to a speech therapist.

When my lo was your lo's age hes would take me to the cupboard or wherever or whatever he wanted. Now its I thirsty or I hungry me want drink me want biscuit me want cheese etc. Give your lo time I think our HA makes us worry about the things more so than a 'normal' Mummy. xxxx

unsure_about_this
10-04-14, 18:37
I been looking through the book I had when I was around this age, with I went for appointments to see the person/team where you get your shots at this age/or before, I saw some of my notes in my health care book.

My speech was delayed because I have dyspraxia and was a late walker. (also later on it was discovered I also had NF, this was when I was about four, whether this why I had delayed speech)

RoseEve
10-04-14, 18:51
Thanks guys. I think I'm just making myself crazy. I put a call into my pediatrician I'm waiting for him to call me back. I just want to make sure I'm doing what I should be doing. I love him.

cpe1978
10-04-14, 19:24
At last something I feel relatively informed to talk about having run a charity for families of children with autism.

I agree entirely with everything people have said in so much as it is too young to worry. Most children, if you look at the traits of autism would display some of them. My daughter for example used to obsessively line things up in patterns - she doesn't have autism incidentally.

Autism is incredibly difficult to diagnose by virtue of sharing characteristics with other things, but children all develop at vastly different rates and most catch up with one another and level out eventually.

cattia
10-04-14, 19:58
Hi Rose,
As you probably know, this is one of my biggest and most persistent anxieties with both my children. I worry obsessively about it and I am always looking out for signs of autism. The fact is that there are so many signs of autism that are also seen in non autistic kids that once you start looking for it you will see it in everything they do. It's really only if there are lots of concerning signs displayed together that uou need to be concerned (and I say this as someone who needs to hear ut themselves!) There are lots of things that my children do that I worry are associated with autism (I won't list them in case you start looking for them too!) However they are both social, imaginative and chatty children. My daughter starts school in September and I am still worried that they are going to pick up problems wity her. She's quite an emotional and sensitive child. I understand your worries but i also echo what others have said; it doesn't sound as though you need to be concerned Xx

Fishmanpa
10-04-14, 20:26
One thing to keep in mind concerning children/kids. For those of us who are parents of older children, this will bring a chuckle (because it's true). For those with the wee ones? I bet you'll never look at your kids the same way ;)

When you think about it, a child and the way they act is not unlike an adult on LSD, weed or sloppy drunk. They talk to themselves and to imaginary people and things, in fact, they can carry on a conversation with an imaginary room full of people and play every character (including different voices!), they fall asleep just about anywhere (including with food in their mouths), they pee and poo themselves, come up with stuff that no rational mind can comprehend, laugh hysterically at the strangest things and the list goes on and on.

That's the beauty of being a child. I envy the fact that they're not tarnished by the reality of the world. Cherish these times and don't project your own fears onto them. They're only this age for a short time :)

Positive thoughts

RoseEve
10-04-14, 23:09
Thanks Fishmanpa I needed a laugh. Chris you are right I know that a lot of autistic traits are traits that NT kids have too. My daughter used to line things up constantly. She did a lot of other things too that I won't list on here. She is no where near autistic. Cattia I know it's so hard when all you hear about is autism. Especially in boys. I spoke to the doctor again he said leave it alone until he is 2. I'm going to trust him, he is an excellent doctor, he was my doctor when I was little. Thanks for the replies everyone.