PDA

View Full Version : Ear pain (plus other stuff) and Fluoxetine?

Jsp
10-04-14, 23:33
This is my second day of taking Fluoxetine and the side effects haven't been too bad. I've got a small headache, worse within the first hour of taking the pill, I feel kinda spaced out/drunk (this isn't unpleasant nor pleasant, so I don't mind), and my anxiety seems a little worse at times - like my mood is very up and down. But one thing I've noticed tonight is that my ears feel a bit stuffy, and I've been getting the odd pain when I swallow or open my mouth wide. I dunno, I just found it a coincidence seeing as this appeared on the second day of taking the Fluoxetine!

Has anyone else experienced this? Shall I just carry on with the pills and it will pass, or should I stop and mention it to my doc?

Edit: I also feel kinda jittery at times. It's hard to explain.

TweetyBird2
11-04-14, 07:02
Do you think you might be clenching your teeth down too hard, causing jaw/ear pain? Bruxism is a side effect of SSRI's. Something about the dopamine and tensing muscles.
The more I'm reading about these medications, the more I'm seeing that they help with one thing, but can cause other problems. So it's a matter of weighing the benefits versus the side effects.
I've been suffering too long without any medication...and so I'm determined to stick it out and give it a chance to work. (and learn to deal with these very annoying side effects).
So yeah, Jsp, I'd say it's possible it's from the prozac... by all means, mention it to your doctor for reassurance. But any SSRI will make you feel worse before you feel better. I'm reading this over and over again, from all kinds of sources.
Talking about it helps, so you know you're not alone, and that it's not scary.

Jsp
11-04-14, 12:55
Do you think you might be clenching your teeth down too hard, causing jaw/ear pain? Bruxism is a side effect of SSRI's. Something about the dopamine and tensing muscles.
The more I'm reading about these medications, the more I'm seeing that they help with one thing, but can cause other problems. So it's a matter of weighing the benefits versus the side effects.
I've been suffering too long without any medication...and so I'm determined to stick it out and give it a chance to work. (and learn to deal with these very annoying side effects).
So yeah, Jsp, I'd say it's possible it's from the prozac... by all means, mention it to your doctor for reassurance. But any SSRI will make you feel worse before you feel better. I'm reading this over and over again, from all kinds of sources.
Talking about it helps, so you know you're not alone, and that it's not scary.

I did consider that, but I haven't noticed that I've been doing clenching my teeth at all. My mouth also feels awfully dry, which I know is a common side effect, so maybe it's just linked to that? As it's all linked in that area of your body.

How long have you been on them for then? From what I've seen on here, the side effects can be a bit of a pain for some people. However, I haven't had any bad side effects, just little annoying things, so you're right it does outweigh the cons :)

sjane
11-04-14, 14:09
I have no pain in my ears but my tinnitus is so much worse, however I do have jaw ache from teeth clenching. I wish I would stop digging my nails in too :(