PDA

View Full Version : Dr Weekes - Floating

ChilliChocolate
11-04-14, 10:09
Sorry if I'm a bit slow at connecting the dots...

Is this floating the same as mindfulness?

Cheers!

CC x

phil6
11-04-14, 13:29
CC
not really.... Floating is what Dr Claire Weekes used to use to describe loosening your grip on yourself, letting go of that tense hold on yourself and going on with what you are doing without gritted teeth. Sort of giving up any form of struggling, mentally and physically.
Mindfullness is all about staying mentally in the present moment instead of worrying about the past or future. Being focused on the now, and not judging or trying to change the way things are.
If you are being truly mindfull then I guess you would also be sort of floating.
Phil

ChilliChocolate
11-04-14, 19:17
Thanks so much Phil for explaining. My main thought really was if because Dr Weekes' method is rather old, this 'floating' term preceded mindfulness.
Take care!!

phil6
11-04-14, 20:48
The Weekes method is getting quite dated , but still very relevant and one of the best reads.

MyNameIsTerry
12-04-14, 02:49
Hi CC,

Mindfulness is a Buddhist concept and as such it's been around many hundreds of years before Australia was even populated (not considering the indiginous tribes that is).

Claire Weekes is getting on but a lot of people still get help from her work. The more you look at updated works, you can still see much of her influence in there.

Mindfulness is reletively new in the West, before it we had Transcendental Meditation which took a dive due to all the groups involved of which some were a bit wacky. The medical world spent a long time ignoring or dismissing anything that wasn't a physical treatment, drug, surgery, etc but the increase in mental disorders has meant they have started to discover many of the treatments that have been around for a long long time!

inCOGnito
12-04-14, 09:07
The Weekes method is getting quite dated , but still very relevant and one of the best reads.

I wouldn't agree. Her advice now is as relevant as it was when it was written.