PDA

View Full Version : Got to have blood tests done

Munchlet
11-04-14, 12:30
I have been to the doctors this morning about some throat problems and womens issues.

She wants me to have blood tests done. The throat she thinks is due to allergies and has prescribed some anti histamines but she also wants to check if I'm menopausal or not.

My problem is she has ticked FBC and Liver and Kidneys on my blood form which I know is fairly standard but I don't think I can bring myself to go for them.

She also wants me to have an ultrasound, she said none of my symptoms sound particularly worrying but she just wants to check things like my Thyroid.

My problem is my HA is really bad at the moment and over the last few weeks I've thought I've had Ovarian Cancer, Kidney Cancer, Throat Cancer, Leukemia, Lymphoma and so on.

I wish I'd never been to the doctors now :weep:

mummyanxious
11-04-14, 12:36
So these blood tests will rule that out so why not go for them? Personally I snap up any tests they offer as they don't do much where I am.

Fishmanpa
11-04-14, 13:02
Munchlet,

I posted a similar response the other day. Obviously you've felt ill enough to visit the doctor.

The initial issue seems to have been resolved and is allergies but your doctor is doing exactly what a good doctor is supposed to do and that is to get a good "picture" of your health. Blood work, including liver and kidney function along with an ultrasound of the thyroid are pretty standard procedures (especially for a woman who is suspected of being pre-menopausal) and will offer you peace of mind, yet you fear the tests. If you weren't offered the tests, you'd be worried and upset wondering if she missed something. I've seen this on the boards dozens of times.

Go get the tests done. It's common practice and very important that your doctor know what's going on with you physically.

Positive thoughts

swgrl09
11-04-14, 15:01
Is the liver/kidney test the CMP? They make me do that at every annual physical I get ... I still get nervous by it! But my guess is if something was really wrong you would know. The doc is just covering her bases and making sure everything is fine :) But really, that test always makes me a bit anxious so don't feel bad, you aren't alone!

Munchlet
11-04-14, 16:03
Thank you for the replies.

I just spoke to my husband and said "I'm not going to go for the blood tests, I can't handle waiting for the results" To which he replied "you bl**dy well are if I have to drag you there myself".

So guess I will be going, I don't get it myself I worry myself stupid about having all these illnesses and yet when I have the opportunity to get tests done I go into complete panic mode and want to bury my head in the sand.

I really really hate HA, just wish I could be normal and not blow things out of perspective all the time. Thing is if I have to go for tests where they can tell you the results straight away I don't seem to worry as much, it's the hanging around and jumping everytime the phone rings I can't stand :lac:

eevee
11-04-14, 18:46
I know the feeling. Whenever my mom has to do her routine bloodwork every few months, I'll get so worried of the results while she doesn't even think of it! So you can imagine what happens when it's the time for ME to get my bloodwork done...

I also had to get an abdominal ultrasound just a couple of weeks ago and I was honest to God terrified, so I know how you feel. It's good to have people who could support you though.

Best wishes!

swgrl09
11-04-14, 19:18
Luckily nowadays results are computerized so you can get them much quicker than in the past. I got my CMP and CBC results in less than 24 hours the last time I got them done and they were all normal. It was a rough 24 hours of course lol but at least not a week or more.

dezy numb fingers
11-04-14, 19:20
I've had a few of these because of health anxieties and all have been fine - honestly, there's nothing to worry about.

almamatters
11-04-14, 19:24
I go through similar feeling every time I go for blood tests but it is a good idea to get them done. Same with the ultrasound.

Masqued
12-04-14, 16:33
The doctor is looking at a wide picture of tests which is mostly ordinary for someone your age/stage of life. Just remember that symptoms can have benign endings :)