PDA

View Full Version : Massive PA out the blue. Frustrating.

ankietyjoe
12-04-14, 17:41
It happened last night about midnight as I was trying to get to sleep.

I became aware that my heart was a beating a little hard, and as usual within 5 seconds it was up to about 140bpm.

I didn't overreact, did my deep breathing and kept telling myself that all was ok. Within about 3-4 minutes it had gone down to about 90bpm again.

I woke up several times during the night, heart pounding each time (probably around 100-110bpm) and have spent the day on the sofa feeling trembly, anxious and constantly checking my pulse.

The issue this time is that I have been into hospital recently with an odd occurrence of tachycardia that lasted several hours, and despite being told that there was nothing wrong with me after an overnight stay and several tests, and that it was most likely post viral/stress related my subconscious became fixated on that the remainder of the night last night (or so I assume). It's worth noting that I was taken into hospital with suspected heart issues as I had chest pain at the same time, and there was a defibrillator fired up next to me in the ambulance. I was also kept in the Acute Medical Ward overnight, which was not pleasant.

Even though I can cope with the physical symptoms whilst having the attack, it's hard dealing with the aftermath today. Especially when the hospital visit was so fresh in my mind. I rarely have PA's like this any more and when they do I'm usually over it by the morning, but this time it's lingering.

Do you think it's possible that my mind has made a connection with the hospital visit and what I experienced with the PA?

SarahH
12-04-14, 19:25
I think without a doubt your subconscious is working overtime and linking this PA with you recent hospital visit..... stop taking your pulse all the time!!!!!

Sarah

Cheesemonster13
13-04-14, 08:54
First of all, well done for not overreacting when you were at the hospital. You should be pleased with yourself for having the presence of mind to continue with your deep breathing exercises while you were in a stressful situation.

I'm like you, I find my anxiety symptoms creep up on me AFTER a difficult time, it's almost like they are trying to trick me :mad: I can't say I'm very patient when I have an anxiety attack when there is nothing happening to trigger it, I'm not, but I am trying to not to fight it and carry on. When it happens to me now, I either do something that helps me distract myself, or just let the symptoms wash over me which I don't find easy, especially when they go on forever.

SaraH is right, don't keep taking your pulse, it's counter-productive behaviour. You know that your heart is pounding because of the adrenaline rush from the anxiety attack, the constant checking keeps you focused on your symptoms and doesn't help.

All the best :)

ankietyjoe
13-04-14, 11:43
Thanks guys. You know I must have told people a million times that checking your pulse is a bad idea, but that tachycardia episode has rattled me a bit. It wasn't like a normal PA, I wasn't panicking at all, yet my heartrate stayed high from about 1.30pm, overnight in hospital and well into the next day.

No explanation was offered by the hospital other than the suggestion that I went back to work too soon after a pretty serious lung/chest infection, combined with several months horrendous financial and legal stress.

I've kind of come to the conclusion that my meditation and mindfulness practices to a great job of ceasing most anxiety and controlling it when it does occur, but perhaps masks the effects of stress a little too well to the point where I'm pushing myself too hard when I should possibly be resting and taking stock of my situation.

As with most things, it's probably a case of finding the correct balance between effort and inactivity.

Cheesemonster13
13-04-14, 14:26
"As with most things, it's probably a case of finding the correct balance between effort and inactivity."

I couldn't agree more :)