PDA

View Full Version : Going out of my mind!

Kirbear
13-04-14, 19:17
I noticed my son has what I believe to be a swollen lymph node, its long rather than round and feels about 2cm or slightly more. I found it a week ago during him having a cold, he still has a slight runny nose and cough. I keep prodding it but I can't work out whether it's going down or not, plus I can only feel it when he is laid a certain way.

I have had a lot of sound advice from people on here an I keep reading it to help me chill out!

However, I just constantly seem to be teary. I keep imagining what my life without my son, I'm struggling to discipline him, he stayed at his Grandmas last night and I spent the night looking at pics of him on my phone. I feel like I'm going to have some sort of a break down. Is this normal for HA?

---------- Post added at 19:17 ---------- Previous post was at 16:34 ----------

I know I'm annoying but help!

Mrschurchill
13-04-14, 19:23
If he has a cold I'm almost certain it'd be down to this. How old is he? Lymph nodes used to be the bane of my life! I wouldn't keep prodding it though... Might just irritate it and cause him pain! X

Kirbear
13-04-14, 19:51
He's 3. I know, I went through lymph node hell in 2012 that's what triggered my HA! I should know better than to keep prodding really :doh:

I wouldn't worry so much should it be on both sides. He had chickenpox nearly 2 months ago, he had his pre school jabs the day his pox started (asked nurse and she though they were heat bumps else I wouldn't have gone ahead) then he had an awful cold with fever. A month passed then he had this one (although no temp). Thinking rationally about this then I'd say there's no wonder he has a swollen lymph node!!

Fishmanpa
13-04-14, 19:54
Kirbear,

I'm going to give you a cyber slap here.....

LEAVE THE KID ALONE! It's completely normal for a node to swell when a kid has a cold. It's the body's way of ridding itself from the infection. You continually poking and prodding it will prevent it from healing. Also, you're projecting your fears onto him whether he or you realize it and it's not good for either of you.

Kids get all sorts of "stuff". It makes their nose run, makes their nodes swell, makes them throw up and poop nasty stuff... it's just normal things that happen. We all grew up having the same things and we're still here aren't we? I'm a parent, I have two adult children and I understand how helpless it feels when our children are ill. I still recall staying up all night walking my son around in my arms when he had roseola. He was so sick he could barely hold his head up.... I know... believe me. But your son had the sniffles, not some horrible disease. He'll be fine but it's you that I'm more concerned with. If you're not seeking help for your anxiety, I implore you to do so. CBT, therapy, meds or a combination thereof can help put you on the road to recovery.

Positive thoughts

Kirbear
13-04-14, 20:06
Thank you, I needed that slap! Actually cried at your message too, especially the part about projecting my fears on to him because that is another thing I'm afraid of.

I am going to be having a mixture of counselling and CBT, my counselling starts this Thursday.

Thanks again :)

Fishmanpa
13-04-14, 20:30
Thank you, I needed that slap! Actually cried at your message too, especially the part about projecting my fears on to him because that is another thing I'm afraid of.

I am going to be having a mixture of counselling and CBT, my counselling starts this Thursday.

Thanks again :)

Atta Girl!!! :yesyes: :bighug1:

Positive thoughts

Montana2
13-04-14, 21:23
Kerbear,

Your story is taking me back the last month and a half. I was in the same place as you are now. My 13 year old told me one day about this lump on the side of his neck. I waited for two weeks to see if it went down.....it didn't. My husband took him to the doctor, ( I would not go to the appointments with them because I was terrified).

This lump almost drove me crazy. Several blood test later and a scan, ENT said everything is fine and to "Chill". Reactive lymph node.

HA took me and gave me a good beating. It did not let me think rationally.

Your baby is fine, some people's lymph nodes get swollen when trying to fight a cold, infection, or even a simple cut. Sometimes they won't even go down to normal size (like my son's).

I am sorry such a long post, but stories like this is what helped me calm down when I was in your shoes.

Kirbear
14-04-14, 06:56
Thank you Montana, you're right, these positive outcomes definitely help. Glad your son is ok :)

I thought my HA was bad when it came to worrying about my own symptoms but nothing compares to when it is your child you're worrying about! :scared15:

Montana2
14-04-14, 19:21
You are right. NOTHING compares to the fear of something being wrong with your child.

Kirbear, your son is going to be ok. You will be back here in no time giving reassurance to Moms going through the same ordeal.

Kirbear
15-04-14, 17:45
I do hope so! Thank you for your kind words :)