PDA

View Full Version : Low grade fever

roxy90
14-04-14, 11:00
Hi everyone.
I went to the doctors this morning over breathing symptoms. Everything was fine except she said I had a slightly raised temperature, and kept repeating how I had a raised temperature etc. The thermometer said 36.8 but she said its a degree out so its actually 37.8.

Is there any reason it could be slightly above normal thats not medical. Like having a fleece jacket on or stood next to a radiator? I've been thinking I have a DVT for a few days now and one of the symptoms can be a low grade fever. I also read that typically the ones with fever are twice as likely to die, no matter on age, weight, risk factors for DVT etc. I'm really worrying about this temperature, she says its due to a viral cough/tracheitis but this has been going on weeks so surely I wouldnt have a fever only a cough left?

Ive left feeling pleased about not having asthma but scared about the temperature. Am I overthinking things? Argh :weep:

Jacsta
14-04-14, 11:04
I'm sure the doctor would have asked for further investigation if concerned. If that is the only symptom then I very much doubt its dvt...let the doctor diagnose your symptoms rather than you fitting symptoms to something you are scared about. 37.8 isn't an issue, lots of clothes, a warm room...lots of things can affect it....and if her thermometer is a degree out? I doubt its accuracy.

Try not to worry, and trust that the doctor has investigated what they need to

roxy90
14-04-14, 11:22
It wasn't even an ear thermometer it was an under arm one :(. It's not the only symptom (to me lol) for the past few days I've been getting pains on and off in my legs. Sometimes its the left leg, sometimes its the right. Sometimes its my ankle, shin, calf or thigh. I have terribly painful knees and they click and grind when I walk.

I know it doesn't typically sound like a clot, but nothing is rational when you have health anxiety I suppose!

---------- Post added at 11:22 ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 ----------

Never mind, the thermometer is accurate but armpit temp is lower by a degree then oral temp so Google tells me. Oh :(

Jacsta
14-04-14, 11:26
I don't think google is helping at all. dvt is highly unlikely unless you are just sat around and don't move about at all? Did you tell your doctor what your fear is? Are you getting any professional help to tackle the health anxiety?

roxy90
14-04-14, 11:32
I've not been sitting around but I am very pregnant. I went in about my breathing worries was checked out and fine. I believed my clot worries were irrational so didnt mention it, it was only when she said I had a temp and got home did I connect the two.

I tried CBT and it wasn't for me. My anxiety improved a great deal now it is coming back again

Jacsta
14-04-14, 11:36
well doctors take a lot more care with pregnant people, and they look out for signs of dvt too, so I'm sure its fine, unfortunately aches and pains come with being pregnant as you are constantly carrying bump. Do gentle exercises to east the muscles, maybe take up yoga or something?

Danny_dingle
14-04-14, 11:46
From Anxietycentre.com under symptoms of anxiety:

"Your body’s temperature seems to fluctuate somewhat higher or lower than the normal 98.6ºF (37ºC). Or, your body temperature is somewhat different each time you take it."

Chances are, the anxiety you are feeling about being ill is causing the temperature, not an actual illness itself!

Hope this is a reassurance.

The reason the thermometer is a degree out is not because it's broken - it's because your temperature has been taken externally (skin contact i.e. under your armpit like yours). To get a true reading you have to have the thermometer inserted anally...

Hope that helps matey.

Danny xxx

roxy90
14-04-14, 11:49
I'm always walking everywhere, I have a toddler who never sits still lol.

I realise now why she added a degree to the temp, I never knew that before. You learn something new everyday obviously!x

Danny_dingle
14-04-14, 11:51
Yeah Roxy it could have been worse, you could have had a thermometer up your bum! :D

Danny Xxx