PDA

View Full Version : Neurology Appt this Thursday

DaisyP
14-04-14, 12:13
Hi all,

So my much awaited neurology appt is this coming Thursday. I am really really nervous. For those who don't know my story, I started getting weird symptoms since I went on a really strong course of antibiotics back in January which started with tingling legs but has now gone to pins and needles, numbness in some toes and occasionally in my ear lobe randomly. I have a problem with eye floaters which kind of coincided at the same time but an optometrist who looked into my eyes said they are 100% healthy and no sign of any optic neuritis (I told him my worries). I am trying to convince myself I am ok as I know MS doesn't normally present himself the way it has come about in me - I have had all over body symptoms which I know doesn't normally happen but the irrational side of me says 'well everyone is different and it has always been in your ear'.

My family and friends are telling me that everything will be fine & my GP is not concerned at all but I think she referred me because she knew I was worrying excessively about it.

I am absolutely convinced I am going to be diagnosed with MS or the neurologist will suggest it and send me for an MRI. I can't do anything about it if I do have MS & I know it isn't a death sentence but I just can't shake the feeling. I do suffer with health anxiety - in the past I have 'had' HIV, brain tumours, cervical cancer...the list goes on. So I am hoping that it's me being a bit OCD about my health.

Hopefully I can report back that all is ok! :yesyes:

Danny_dingle
14-04-14, 12:19
Hi Daisy,

I am very close to someone who does infact have MS. I don't think your symptoms sound typical of MS at all, however they do sound typical of anxiety! :D

I have every faith that your tests will show you the all clear. :) And by the way, the person I know with MS, you wouldn't even know they have it. Sometimes their left arm goes a bit twitchy (they once threw a fork of baked beans all over their mates new carpet, which was funny rather than bad!) but to all intents and purposes you can't even tell anything is up with him.

Good luck with it all - but you won't need it!

Danny Xxx

rebeccad
14-04-14, 12:40
Good luck keep us all posted xx

DaisyP
14-04-14, 12:43
Hi Danny,

Thanks for the reply :)

That's a funny story about the beans!
I am sorry your friend has MS but it's good that he doesn't suffer too badly with it.

Thanks for the good luck wishes, I just cannot wait to have my appt over and done with. I am currently applying to go back to University to try and become a Nurse and I am getting married this year so I would be devastated if I received a positive result but got to keep positive!

x

---------- Post added at 12:43 ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 ----------

Thanks Rebecca!

Serenity1990
14-04-14, 13:25
Daisy, as I've said before it'll go fine, chin up!

Try and accept what he/she tells you. And if your dragon still insists on worrying you just remember the neurologist who treated it with diet alleviated or halted symptoms in 95% of patients, and of the twenty eight patients who were treated with stem cell therapy in a 2006 experiment none have got their symptoms back. That should go some way to kicking him out! :D

DaisyP
14-04-14, 13:32
That's the thing isn't it Serenity - accepting what the Dr says. My Fiance wants me to have an MRI even if the neurologist doesn't so I can see myself. Although I am pretty sure they won't want to if they aren't concerned as it is unnecessary testing.

I do keep thinking about those cases you told me about - hopefully it won't come to that but I know about it just incase!

Serenity1990
14-04-14, 14:19
If you have an MRI, you'll only go and find stories from those exceptional cases where the first MRI was clear. I speak from experience. It did help for a week or two then I was back to worrying.

I think the best way forward is to let the doctors get on with their jobs and accept what they tell you. Easier said than done I know.

DaisyP
14-04-14, 14:48
Yep, I will try and trust them - I have to as I cannot spend the next however many years worrying like this! My Health Anxiety has been so under control in recent years, I need to get back there!

---------- Post added at 14:48 ---------- Previous post was at 14:43 ----------

Serenity - I forgot to ask how you were feeling now?

Magic
14-04-14, 14:53
Daisy, I am glad you are going for the MRI. It will put your mind at rest so to speak.
Let us know how you go on xx

Toronto girl
15-04-14, 15:13
I can relate to your concern because I have to see a neurologist in 2 weeks and I am scared to death. This will be my 4th neuro appointment because of a prickly feeling I get in the skin of both legs and a surging feeling I get in my chest. I think they are running different tests this time. All my other tests, such as MRI's etc.. have come back normal.

I am sure everything will turn out fine for you.

Keep us posted.