PDA

View Full Version : Stomach cancer, GP has worried me to death - endoscopy

Darren1
14-04-14, 13:06
Oh GOD Why am I here again???

So a few years ago I started getting abdominal pain and my GP ended up telling me it was nothing and to control my symptoms with the foods I eat.

Lately it's been getting worst I have always found that antacid tablets help.

4 weeks ago the doctor put me on lansoprazole - he said he didnt think I had an ulcer but certainly some irritation to the stomach lining.

I went back today and I told him that the lansoprazole had not made any difference at all.

This is where things got scary!

He asked me if I'd had any thoughts about what it could be?

I said no, I don't know.

He asked me if I thought it could be a stomach ulcer - I said maybe.

I told him the tablets haven't worked so it has made me worry a bit.

THEN he told me that if the tablets hadn't worked then it could be three things.

1. Nothing
2. Anxiety
3. Something sinister!!!!!!!!!

I felt sick.

He then asked me if I wanted to be referred for an endoscopy. I said I felt like I had no choice.

I asked him if he would have one and he said No, because it's invasive and will hurt my medical record if I ever wanted health insurance!!!

So I don't really get if he thinks its serious or not!!!

He seemed concerned that the medication hadn't worked and said it was very potent.

I have agreed to the endoscopy (6 week wait) and also he is sending me for more up to date blood tests.

My mind is now all over the place, i'm tieing up all the loose dots about my swollen glands etc......

ankietyjoe
14-04-14, 13:11
I once took lansoprazole for GERD and it made my symptoms significantly worse very quickly.

I find it odd that he would say those things to you in the way he said them as well.

With a history of anxiety and stomach problems I'm pretty convinced it's nothing 'sinister', although it's always best to get these things checked out.

Honestly, it could be hundreds of things (the majority of which won't be serious).

I'm pretty sure that if he was concerned about anything that you wouldn't be sitting on a 6 week waiting list.

Darren1
14-04-14, 13:46
I forgot to add that one of the blood tests is Helicobacter pylori - which has never been tested.

I'm hoping that's what it's going to be and then I can just take the antibiotics along with PPI and be done with it!

Maybe this problem has never gone away cos i havent been tested/treated for Helicobacter pylori.

ankietyjoe
14-04-14, 13:53
Until you have a definitive diagnosis it's really not worth thinking about. You'll end up on Google which will inevitably end you up at Cancer, it always does.

I've had stomach problems and IBS on and off for a few years, sometimes it's just there and you need to get on with your life in the meantime.

Darren1
14-04-14, 15:40
Maybe I should have just lived with it like I did the past 3.5 years already

I am having a bad flare up at the moment but don't understand why im investigating it. anxiety I suppose. I found out I didn't have lymphoma and skin cancer is unlikely so I guess now its a vicious stomach tumour which has spread through my entire body.

Would an abdomen CT scan show cancer?

ankietyjoe
14-04-14, 16:16
Would an abdomen CT scan show cancer?

I have no idea, I'm not a Doctor

See what you're doing though? :)

You need to stop thinking about what it might be, or what might have been missed. It's that level of anxiety that can actually cause physical symptoms, and make real problems worse.

Darren1
14-04-14, 17:08
just have to wait for the letter and then the test. Hope it won't be the full 6 week wait!

I suppose if it gets worst I could go to A+E.

Surely this is nothing, only around 3 people a year are diagnosed with stomach cancer in the UK each year for my age (28)

LE
14-04-14, 17:32
Darren

The reason the ppi's won't work is because you are still very stressed. When you are stressed your stomach produces excess acid which creates havock. I am having exactly same problem.

Also yes Abdo ct shows cancer. Reason I know is because my gran recently was losing blood and the doctors did not know where from and they sent her for an Abdo ct. All clear.

ankietyjoe
14-04-14, 17:45
Surely this is nothing, only around 3 people a year are diagnosed with stomach cancer in the UK each year for my age (28)

How do you even know that?

Stop googling!

Darren1
14-04-14, 19:48
because cancer research uk have a horrible section with the statistics.

i really want to google 'stomach ulcer that won't heal'

i have my blood test tomorrow so thats something to look forward to, they usually show nothing up with me so that will give me a short boost waiting for the endoscopy referral letter.

I've read the test specimen papers

Helobacter, Liver, Urea, CBC, CRP (The big one!)
might be some others too.

---------- Post added at 19:48 ---------- Previous post was at 19:46 ----------

Darren

The reason the ppi's won't work is because you are still very stressed. When you are stressed your stomach produces excess acid which creates havock. I am having exactly same problem.

Also yes Abdo ct shows cancer. Reason I know is because my gran recently was losing blood and the doctors did not know where from and they sent her for an Abdo ct. All clear.

I think I just need the endoscopy to find out once and for all. this has been on the back of my mind for 3 years and i knew it was coming after my all clear with the lymph nodes etc.

However my worst case scenario of stomach cancer spread to lymph nodes is starting to make some traction!

unsure_about_this
14-04-14, 20:13
Hi

Darren, oh yes the Cancer research stats section for each cancer for age groups, I have done the crime in the past, for my abdominal pains back in 2012/2013 I fear bowel cancer, pancreatic cancer etc. I am 30 now,
I think you try and stay off Google, wait to get your letter etc.

I got told at 1st it was IBS and still get the odd pain, twinge, sometimes it can be down to diet and also what are you drinking.

I think also by now you would know by now even though I am not a GP/doctor if it was cancer.

Darren1
15-04-14, 08:49
just been and had my bloods done - i dont know if i should phone for the results in a few days or just wait to see if they ring me.

My stomach is bad this morning, ive already had 150mg ranitidine - im affraid to eat breakfast.

its just burning at the very top of my stomach, it must be an ulcer. But why hasn't the acid supression meds healed it? Makes me think it must be cancer.

HoneyLove
15-04-14, 10:06
When there's no food in your stomach the acid can irritate it more, if you eat your breakfast it will help you feel a lot better. Make sure you're drinking plenty too. Are you following a reflux diet properly and avoiding foods/drinks that irritate the stomach lining?

Endoscopies are routine for people experiencing ongoing stomach problems, they're not anything to worry about.

Worrying and stressing about things will create extra acid in your stomach, so working on your anxiety and relaxation is essential. It can take a while for stomach irritation to heal, especially if you don't reduce stress levels. The meds, diet and lifestyle changes need to be given a proper few months to work properly.

Some of us just have sensitive stomachs, it's just how we are. It runs in my family, myself & all of my siblings all have stomach trouble and avoid different foods. When I'm stressed my stomach is one of the first things to act up in my body.

spacebunnyx
15-04-14, 10:29
Hi, I've had gerd, nausea, stomach pain on and off for years.. Lanzoprazol never worked for me. Nothing really works if its caused by anxiety.

Xxx

Darren1
15-04-14, 12:05
somebody at work has just randomly told me i look like ive lost weight :(

Jonesle
15-04-14, 12:13
Hi Darren, when you have HA you are constantly noticing these things and taking them as signs, like your colleague saying you'd lost weight, or seeing a cancer leaflet floating about, or seeing something cancer related on TV. It's like when a relationship ends you suddenly notice lots of"happy couples" and places of significance. Try and keep cool, I'm not sure what you look like but under normal circumstances if someone told you you'd lost weight it makes you feel good, know what I mean?

Darren1
15-04-14, 12:26
this worrying is really making me tired. i feel like i will end up going to see another doctor for some reassurance - i know they all hate me though.

cant concerntrate on my work today - been reading about stomach problems all morning. wish i wasnt having an endoscopy! it wouldnt be so bad if it was going to be next week but 6 weeks is a long time to wait.

i just think im going to be that rare, unlucky young adult that gets cancer :(

Jonesle
15-04-14, 12:31
Worst case scenario is that it's cancer, there's still things they can do for you if it's cancer! Which by the way is a very slim chance. Won't you give everything you've got to fight it?
Worrying makes me tired too. Then I have enough of worrying and I'm ok for a short while, then it's like a blanket of dread covers me and I start crying and wondering what it's like to die. I hate it so myth :( we need to get through this, and you will, you have to, hugs x

ankietyjoe
15-04-14, 12:36
somebody at work has just randomly told me i look like ive lost weight :(

All you're doing is posting the negative thoughts you have and not reacting to the positive comments you're getting here.

Most of the issues you're experiencing are being made worse by your negative way of thinking. We've all been there, but you are the only one that can sit down, take a deep breath and tell yourself it's nothing serious.

Right now you have absolutely zero evidence that anything is seriously wrong with you.

And we ALL lose weight with anxiety. When I first had it bad I lost 40lbs in 3-4 months. It's normal.

Darren1
15-04-14, 13:18
you are right i am being negative - you are also right there is no evidence im seriously ill!

would someone without anxiety look at this case and just think its rediculous and only worry if they actually get TOLD they have cancer?

Jonesle
15-04-14, 13:20
Not ridiculous. Unless they didn't understand what anxiety means. Some people don't even worry when they are diagnosed! Cancer isn't a death sentence x

Fizzy Warrior
15-04-14, 13:50
Hi Darren, I don't really have much to add to this but didn't want to read and not post! You sound just like me, I always google my symptoms and jump straight to the worst possible conclusion every time! I've been having stomach problems for years now, and am on PPIs too, and still get stomach discomfort and pains, and chest pains too (which of course I convinced myself were numerous heart attacks, despite my doctor trying to convince me they weren't... I'm still not 100% convinced, but am getting there, slowly!) Perhaps you have a hernia? I have 2 of them (these aren't imagined or part of my anxiety, they are actually real, my doctor said so, lol!) I have a haitus hernia which causes the acid reflux and an umbilical hernia which causes excess gas, bloating, abdominal pains and chest pains. Maybe you have something similar to this? Although it's uncomfortable at times, my doctor said it's not serious at all and I don't need surgery or anything. It's possible that some years down the line my umbilical hernia might get worse and bigger (it's fairly small at the moment) and if that happens then I might need corrective surgery but for now it's ok. I know how you feel because I imagined the worst case scenario and it turned out to be something much more minor, and I'm sure yours will too. Good luck. :)

---------- Post added at 13:50 ---------- Previous post was at 13:44 ----------

...sorry, forgot to add, it sounds to me like your doctor is sending you for an endoscopy just to put your mind at ease. It doesn't sound like he's concerned or that he thinks it's necessary but doctors will often do these things for their patients' peace of mind. My doctor sent me for a cholestorol test when I was convinced I had cororary heart disease, and did ecgs for me too... he knew they weren't necessary but did it to calm me down because I was so panicked. He also offered me the option of having an endoscopy or gastroscopy and I asked him if he thought it was necessary... he smiled and said "no... but it might calm you down." So I knew then, and declined it. :)

Darren1
15-04-14, 14:48
I have a haitus hernia which causes the acid reflux and an umbilical hernia which causes excess gas, bloating, abdominal pains and chest pains. Maybe you have something similar to this? Although it's uncomfortable at times, my doctor said it's not serious at all and I don't need surgery or anything. It's possible that some years down the line my umbilical hernia might get w

Hi Fizzy thanks for giving me your story - I hadn't thought about a hernia, i dont really know what it is lol

I made a mistake of seeing a GP i dont normally see so im not sure he really understands my anxiety. Atleast if he thought it was serious then he would put me on the 2 week urgent referral.

Do you think a doctor who is concerned would be more insistent that you have an endoscopy? Rather than leaving the decision up to me?

HoneyLove
15-04-14, 15:11
Darren have you done any work on your health anxiety? It would do you a lot of good, especially if you're feeling worn out from worrying.

Darren1
15-04-14, 16:29
Darren have you done any work on your health anxiety? It would do you a lot of good, especially if you're feeling worn out from worrying.

Apart from taking antidepressants and distraction then no.

My HA was about my lymph nodes previously and neck pain - I'm not focussing on this at the moment because I'm having physio.

I feel like if I get past this stomach thing it will be the last...

HoneyLove
15-04-14, 16:49
If I remember it correctly you said the same thing about the neck problem, that the MRI would put your mind at ease and if everything turned out fine then you'd begin working on your anxiety.

Fizzy Warrior
15-04-14, 18:06
Do you think a doctor who is concerned would be more insistent that you have an endoscopy? Rather than leaving the decision up to me?

- Yep! Absolutely, definitely, 100% :) If a doctor was genuinely concerned and thought there was something wrong with you, then they would make sure you had the appropriate tests, rather than just giving you the option. No way would they leave it to chance. I'm no doctor but honestly, based on my own experiences and what I've also heard from other people, it does sound like your problems are caused by anxiety and the endoscopy is just the doctor's way of giving you peace of mind. By all means go and have it done, if it will ease your mind. :D

illgetthere
15-04-14, 21:35
Darren may I ask your symptoms?

Darren1
16-04-14, 09:07
Darren may I ask your symptoms?

I have a pain at the very top of my stomach near my first left rib.

It hurts when I eat big meals or acidic foods. Normally I control this with ranitadine and if i eat carefully for a few days t goes away.

At the moment its flared up (which has happened before) and hurts every morning, it literally feels like a mouth ulcer in my stomach.

Im starting to link it to my swollen glands in my neck which was never diagnosed - i had blood tests/ct/mri scan and nothing abnormal was found but i did not have a biopsy

Darren1
16-04-14, 16:06
If I remember it correctly you said the same thing about the neck problem, that the MRI would put your mind at ease and if everything turned out fine then you'd begin working on your anxiety.

It did stop me thinking i had a tumour in my neck and i said i would definately start the physio - which I have.

Physio isnt' doing a great deal yet but i know it can take time.

As for the anxiety, I have not looked for help because i really felt the antidepressants were working - infact i have been busy helping my partner through anxiety and felt really on top of the world. Out of know where this has knocked me for six, so clearly i WILL need extra help. But for now I must wait for the endoscopy :(

HoneyLove
16-04-14, 16:36
Antidepressants can be good to take you out of a bad place, but they're not the complete answer to breaking free of anxiety. You also need to address the thought processes that are at the root of your anxiety, you need to look at the way you think and view the world and yourself in it.

unsure_about_this
16-04-14, 18:02
I don't know much about stomach cancer myself.
How has your appetite been, I don't know whether or not stomach cancer you will be able to feel any masses which should not be there or be visible.

Darren1
17-04-14, 09:19
I don't know much about stomach cancer myself.
How has your appetite been, I don't know whether or not stomach cancer you will be able to feel any masses which should not be there or be visible.

my appetite is fine and my stomach feels normal.

The doctor originally said that someone with an ulcer their stomach is usually hard and tender - mine is fine. can anyone vouch for this/>