PDA

View Full Version : Just had teeth pulled - Oral/dental anxiety?

Wintear
15-04-14, 00:54
Hi. Long time no talk, all. Hope everyone's doing well! :)

Anyway, I just got back from an agonizing trip to the dentist. I was shot up with so much Novocaine (however you spell it..) and swabbed with so much numbing gels that it's just now wearing off and I received these shots/swabs over 3 1/2 hours ago. I had two infected teeth extracted (they were chipped and broken down to the gum lines, practically - so they were SO FAR BEYOND DIFFICULT to loosen and yank...one of the most painful and grueling processes I've EVER gone through in my entire LIFE...) and I guess a third tooth needed to come out as well but I could only hold out long enough for them to extract one of it's roots. There's still two roots in there along with about 2/3rds of the actual tooth it's self. I bled so much. Every 2-3 minutes I kept having to sit up and spit/rinse. It was as if I gargled with a blood-red paint or something, man. I also kept having to stop them while trying to pull 'em because the pressure was SO immense. Never before had I known such effort, restraint, and PAIN. Not until now, anyway. I'm convinced fully that there's no other kind of pain that can compare other than child birth.

I have to go back tomorrow morning at 10:30AM to finish the third tooth's extraction. *Cries loudly on the inside* I have a few concerns, however. My first is all this blood that I keep drooling/spitting out. Is that hazardous in any way? Like, while I sleep later on (I am physically SPENT...) can it drip down my throat and clog my windpipe? I really don't feel like choking to death in my sleep. If that's the case, should I lay on either of my sides then?

Also, I noticed my glands underneath my chin/jawline (front of my throat) and on the sides of my neck are a bit swollen, too. Is that from the stress of the procedure? Cause there was certainly a LOT of it. When should I expect them to go down? A few hours, days, weeks even?

They told me at the office not to rinse because it'd interfere with the clotting process. I guess that makes sense, but how else am I suppose to keep the afflicted areas clean and this blood/saliva build up in my mouth out? I heard rinsing with warm salt water does the trick...any other SAFE suggestions, if possible?

What kinds of foods can I eat until the areas are less tender and what not? I obviously know soft foods are a given, but what kinds specifically? And, how do I go about cleaning/brushing my teeth overall? Is there a peculiar way I should invest some time into?

They gave me an antibiotic to take three times a day (liquid form clindamycin..) and for pain-killers, they prescribed me advil and vicodins. I doubt I'll take or need, either, as I'm not a fan of putting those kinds of OTC drugs into my body. I'd rather just cope and deal naturally, ya'know? I've got a pretty high pain tolerance that I inherited from my Mom, heh.

But, yeah. If you guys can answer, if not all, then at least some of my questions/concerns for me, that'd be VERY much appreciated! :) Feel free to post any identical experiences...

Be well, all - and goodnight from the east coast!

Danny_dingle
15-04-14, 17:32
Hi Wintear,

I don't claim to be an expert but some of this might help:

"My first is all this blood that I keep drooling/spitting out. Is that hazardous in any way? Like, while I sleep later on (I am physically SPENT...) can it drip down my throat and clog my windpipe? I really don't feel like choking to death in my sleep. If that's the case, should I lay on either of my sides then?"

The amount of spit/blood that builds up is NOT enough to choke you, besides it is a fluid and therefore you will naturally swallow it away whilst sleeping. So that won't choke you. Just don't keep anything in your mouth that's solid, like cotton bud, etc.

"Also, I noticed my glands underneath my chin/jawline (front of my throat) and on the sides of my neck are a bit swollen, too. Is that from the stress of the procedure? Cause there was certainly a LOT of it. When should I expect them to go down? A few hours, days, weeks even?"

Your glands are bound to be up - it's not even because you're stressed, it's because something harsh has happened to your mouth area so your glands freak out a bit (mine did the same)! I don't know exactly how long they take to go down but it won't be weeks. Ask the dentist tomorrow and I'm sure they'll tell you.

"I guess that makes sense, but how else am I suppose to keep the afflicted areas clean and this blood/saliva build up in my mouth out? I heard rinsing with warm salt water does the trick...any other SAFE suggestions, if possible?"

I don't know what to suggest on this one, but spitting it out is fine, you don't necessarily need anything to rinse with I wouldn't think. Besides, the slobbering should calm down once the numbness wears off!

"What kinds of foods can I eat until the areas are less tender and what not? I obviously know soft foods are a given, but what kinds specifically? And, how do I go about cleaning/brushing my teeth overall? Is there a peculiar way I should invest some time into?"

There are no specific foods you need - just anything you find it easy to eat! I loved soup when I had my teeth out for obvious reasons! And as far as brushing your teeth goes, just do it how you normally would, just be extra careful around the area where your tooth has been removed because you don't want to hurt it. Even if you can't clean the wound for a short time it doesn't matter - that's what the antibiotics are for, to stop the area getting infected.

I know none of that is particularly scientific or medical but it's just what I did when I had mine removed - I had four taken in total over the course of two visits - one visit did one side, then the other done two weeks later, so I always had a side I could chew on!

Good luck with it all, it's not a comfortable process but at least it will be worth it in the long run!

Danny xxx

AlexandriaUK
15-04-14, 18:42
A massive slap on the back for you and a big well done, how brave are you for getting it all sorted, I so admire you.
In agreement about the amount of blood etc want do you any harm and your dentist is very wise to give you all the right meds, after tomoz everything will start to feel better and you will be so glad you faced a fear and got your mouth sorted, a clean mouth is the best way to keep a healthy heart and body.

trish1955
19-04-14, 08:21
Omg I have read this post I yo have all the same tooth probs u i have broken infection hardley any tooth on show so don't no how they would get them out I have major fear of dentist so afraid to go and after reading yr ordeal its defo not happening I am suffering a little at moment with my teeth but sounds like yr suffering and suffered a bad time x

Tessar
19-04-14, 10:01
Trish.... Go get 'em sorted. I have tooth pain rite now (had a filling earlier in the week after really excruciating pain that came on really suddenly). Honestly.... For anyone who has dodgy teeth go and get them sorted. the longer u leave it... Well.... The worse it gets. Bit the bullet (bad pun, sorry).
I've had difficult extractions too... Had one in December last which was rough to say the least. But point being, having suffered at the time and yes it was scary & painful... The pain from that tooth is gone. It was such a relief.

Wintear.... U r very brave. I can definitely relate to how horrible this all is. Bit for sure when things settle down u will be glad u got things sorted.
Tooth pain and extractions are very unpleasant indeed and really horrible to experience but in the longer term this will be good for your overall health.
Keep hanging in there, it's not easy I really do appreciate that but desoite your worries and fears.... you will come out the other side.
Keep us informed and sending you the biggest hugs ever and loads of positive healing and supportive vibes.

hanshan
19-04-14, 13:16
The worst pain I've ever suffered is from an infected tooth. It's amazing because it has little impact on the rest of the body or overall health.

I'd take the antibiotics to prevent further infection. The pain relievers are up to you - no problems if you take a short course.

They are right about not rinsing - you need some blood clot where the tooth was removed to avoid a "dry socket" - check it out.