PDA

View Full Version : sinus, allergy, tmj???

Worried 24/7
15-04-14, 03:35
So I'm freaking out because I have a Sharp pain in the top of my head that feels like it's shooting down through my eye and out my right nostril. When I turn my head to the right my nose hurts. Also my temple is sore to the touch on that side. I also have been getting intermittent Sharp pains deep in my ears. My question is, has anyone experienced these symptoms with sinus, allergy, or tmj ? Because I clench my teeth constantly and my jaw pops when I open my mouth. Also my nose is ALWAYS stuffy. And when I swallow my ears always pop. I'm scared it's something worse :-( also recently I feel like my eye has a scratch on it and it burns and hurts.it seems to come and go. That could be unrelated though. Someone please reassure me my pains could be from something non life threatening. I was just at the ER three days ago and they did tests on me for other pains and now I'm having all these new ones and I really don't wanna go running back :-(

MyNameIsTerry
15-04-14, 08:01
I'm not sure about all the symptoms that you are describing but some of them could easily be due to clenching and grinding.

For 6 months I had head pains, jaw ache, couldn't open my mouth fully, couldn't clamp properly, at times it hurt eating on my right side, pains up the side of my head, etc.

I didn't know what it was and had read about TMJ. I had a check up coming up with my dentist so asked then. He said he found evidence of grinding and my jaw muscles seemed a bit swollen/larger than normal. I had no idea I was doing this and because it was worse in the mornings, he explained I must be doing it in my sleep.

The pains & aches in that side of my face were facial myopathy, caused by the grinding. I had a GP check up the well after anyway so asked and he said its very common with anxiety & depression.

The dentist said to try an exercise, eat softer foods for a while and if it doesn't go, he could take an impression and get a night guard made. The exercise was to touch your tongue to the roof off your mouth and then open & close your mouth, and keep repeating.

It did help but it want going. In the end, paracetamol before bed, the exercises and relaxation techniques did the trick and it went over a few months later. It wasn't as bad anyway when it started going.

Does that sound like what you are having? You could ask your dentist to check for grinding. Of you know you are clenching, you could cause this...but its muscular and by learning to relax more, it Erik go on is own.

Worried 24/7
15-04-14, 14:25
Yeah, I get the head pains and then because I'm worrying about them I clench even more which is probably making it worse....today I feel like stuff is constantly draining down that side in ny nose and throat so I still wonder about sinuses....but my HA is always nagging at me saying it must be something really bad

HoneyLove
15-04-14, 15:13
If you think you have TMJ then call to your dentist to ask about it. If you're constantly clenching then chances are it's what's causing some of your symptoms.

Working on your stress levels and health anxiety will help you relieve it, it's important that you do something about how you're feeling.