PDA

View Full Version : If stop taking how does body adjust itself so you dont get depressed again?

sand001
15-04-14, 13:42
Hi
I have only been on Citalopram for 4 months, 2wks at 10mg, and 2wks at 20mg.

It has definitely improved my mental state in that I am feeling happy and positive most days, however suffer from headaches and still do not get a nights sleep.

I am thinking of coming off very slowly, but am worried I could fall back into a slightly depressive state again.

The pills seem to get you out of this, but surely when you come off you go back into the way you were before, how does your body adjust itself so that this doesn't happy.

I would appreciate any advice

dafni
15-04-14, 14:37
I think you should take it longer 6,8 months... Dont risk it.

sand001
17-04-14, 12:33
I perhaps agree, but does anyone know how does your body adjust when you come off, does it just realign itself so that going forward all will be well for the future.

Or is it a case of, now you are on top, it is mind over matter?

SarahH
17-04-14, 15:54
This is how I see it....... whilst taking meds (and I would say for a minimum of a year) you are allowing your body/brain to heal and repair.... encouraging the chemicals to start working again. When you come off the meds VERY slowly you will be able to tell if that healing process has worked.
Now, there are also SOME people who will nit be able to come off meds ever... like me. But that is not to say this is the same for you........I would say 4 months is way to soon for you to be thinking od coming off meds.

Sarah

Marty_67
18-04-14, 07:46
Hi all.

I was thinking about a year on and then maybe wean off.

It worries me more about not taking them then actually taking them tbh :(