PDA

View Full Version : Hey. I'm back! (sadly) vCJD worries

skygreen_leopard
15-04-14, 14:02
Hi, people.

I'm back after almost 2 years of feeling not too bad. I have gone back into worrying about vCJD again. I'm really pissed off with myself for doing so. I had some pain in my legs and head then a week later I was in full on obsessive mode again.

I've tried so many psychologists and drugs now that I don't know what to do. There is very little to calm me down. I think that this is really just the perfect illness for the health-anxiety sufferer - especially British sufferers.

I've done the pro-active thing of using web blockers to filter out the keywords I search for and block health sites; I would advise others to do the same and can give advice if you want.

I just started on Citalopram again, and am going to see my doctor again, but I was wondering if anyone takes anything with Citalopram that helps - like beta blockers or something?

HoneyLove
15-04-14, 15:14
Have you ever tried CBT Skygreen? It might help you get those irrational thoughts under control.

Rennie1989
15-04-14, 15:39
What you have to remember is that CJD is incredibly rare today, I think new cases every year are in double figures, and comparing that to a country that has almost 70million people I think the chances of getting CJD are next to zero. I understand the concern of vCJD but there is so little known about it and I think if it was an issue it would have been so long ago.

Try distracting your mind, like doing something taxing i.e. a puzzle, reading, etc. When I get thoughts like these I end up giving my brain a lecture 'It is VERY unlikely that this will happen.' and 'Let's not waste time on something that may not happen.' I tell my brain all sorts of rubbish :P

skygreen_leopard
15-04-14, 15:59
Thanks for replying, people. HoneyLove, I have tried CBT, BUT, the only way I was offered was in a group setting; doing CBT in a group just made me feel socially anxious and I couldn't take it in.

Rennie1989, thanks. I am going to try and keep my mind busy. haven't been sleeping well lately so it's hard to focus, but i'm gonna try! :)

HoneyLove
15-04-14, 16:02
It's a shame that you weren't able to fit in with a group, but I kind of understand that myself having done a course of CBT I think that I'd find it hard to open up in a group setting.

You still need to work on a way to reduce your anxiety though, rather than trying to appease the worry about CJD. Could you go for CBT privately, maybe just one session every couple of weeks if you can't afford it weekly.

skygreen_leopard
15-04-14, 18:14
I could go to CBT weekly. I'm not sure where to look though, is there some sort of organization or body of registered therapists?

HoneyLove
15-04-14, 19:31
I'm not sure, I don't live in the UK, but I'm sure that Google will help you figure it out :) Or ask your GP, that's what I did and she recommended both a national organisation and a therapist in my area, it was very helpful.

Vigilante
15-04-14, 20:18
Why vCJD anyway?

Go and play the lottery you have much more chance of winning that.

skygreen_leopard
16-04-14, 16:40
Why vCJD anyway?

Go and play the lottery you have much more chance of winning that.

I realize it's probably never going to happen, but after a friend of the family died from it recently it made me get very freaked out (not that I wasn't already).