PDA

View Full Version : Dr appointment - referred for ultra sound - complete anxiety meltdown!!

cattia
15-04-14, 17:54
So I finally went to the Dr about my swollen face and he has referred me for an urgent ultrasound to see what's going on. I am in complete anxiety meltdown thinking of dying and leaving my kids. I cant calm down. He said he thinks it is unlikely to be anything sinister but he needs to rule it out. He said it could be stones in my mastoid gland or muscle inflammation from my tmj but it could also be a sinister growth in that area. I have to wait two weeks for the ultra sound and two weeks for the result. I don't know how I'm ever going to get through it. In the past few days I have started to get earache on that side as well but the swelling has been there at least a month, maybe longer.

eevee
15-04-14, 18:06
Sending hugs to you. I know it can't be easy. Didn't you say you fell on that area before? Is it like the cheek or-?

flatterycat
15-04-14, 18:08
Oh Cattia, sorry you are going through this. I know how you feel though. When I was referred for an MRI I was a mess. My friend was referred recently for a swelling on the side of her face around her jaw area. It was very noticeable. Anyway she had a scan and then they wanted to do an MRI cause they couldn't see anything wrong. After all that - it was fine. No reason found and she is fine. She wasn't concerned throughout any of it - just a bit embarrassed in case anyone could see it!

cattia
15-04-14, 18:22
Thanks for the replies. I told him about the fall but he didn't think it was connected with that as it was six weeks ago and it hasn't gone down. I am so, so worried. If they just refer me for more tests once they have done the ultrasound I don't know how I will cope! Flatrerycat did your friend's swelling ever resolve?

AlexandriaUK
15-04-14, 18:30
I have TMJD and my face does look puffy and hard when its in a flare, also if he really thought it was cancer he would have sent you straight the way not in 2 weeks time, did he actually say it could be something more sinister or are you thinking that, after a fall it can take weeks for the swelling to go down completely, please try not to worry although I know that's not easy :hugs:

cattia
15-04-14, 19:08
Thank you. I have had a couple of flare ups in the past few months but nothing since I noticed the swelling. I alsed him what he thought it was and he said it could be mastoid stones, could be muscle enlargment from jaw clenching but he also said he needed to rule out anything sinister. Those were his exact words. He said he didn't want me to worry as he knows I have anxiety and sinister causes would be low down his list but of course I am thinking the worst because I took from what he said that it could be something nasty even though it isn't the most likely outcome.

flatterycat
15-04-14, 19:56
Cattia - my friend was fine. She still has a side of her jaw that is bigger - but they think it's just a muscular thing. Anyway, they have agreed it's nothing to worry about. Also, they told her from the US that it wasn't anything concerning, they only wanted to do the MRI to check something to do with her muscles.

AlexandriaUK
15-04-14, 20:01
I think he is sending you for a scan to put your mind at ease, not because be thinks the worst, have you had an xray for your TMJD

cattia
15-04-14, 22:18
The funny thing is (well not that funny really) that I have never even been diagnosed with tmj! I might not even have it. However I believe I have it because:
I chronically grind my teeth, clench my jaws and sometimes bite my tongue and the inside of my cheeks when I am sleeping.
I wake up with my jaws tightly locked closed
I get clicking of my jaw on one side when I open and close it
I have episodes for days at a time when my neck and throat muscles become so tight that it hurts even to swallow water
When I am driving my neck clicks on one side every time I turn my head
I get one sided tension headaches.

I have booked an appointment with a good private dentist who I use to go to years ago. I left her to join an NHS dentist but the appointments always feel rushed and I don't think they are as good. I will pay private to get a one off assessment from her.
I have a very old injury that has left me with one leg longer than the other so it could even be possible that my neck and jaw problems stem from that. However it still isn't clear why this facial swelling had recently developed. It is though, on the same side as the problems I have described above.

Munchlet
16-04-14, 21:20
Hi Cattia

My sister in law has had mastoid stones a couple of times and her face has puffed up like a balloon. I'm not sure if they actually sent her for a scan, both times they gave her something to take the swelling down and I'm sure they said if it happened again she would need to be referred but fortunately it hasn't reoccurred since.

It really was noticeably swollen it looked like she had mumps so that could well be what you have.

I know any type of tests are horrible but as someone else has said he wouldn't wait two weeks if he was concerned.

I know it's hard but try to bear in mind that they just have to rule out the other stuff, it doesn't mean they think that's what it is they just have to cover themselves.

take care x

unsure_about_this
16-04-14, 21:26
First off all try not to google (as it hard it is might be) it will be probably scared you even more so.

It is good that you are going for a scan like others have said to put your mind at ease.