PDA

View Full Version : Can CBT Help You

Tanner40
15-04-14, 23:13
I just responded to a post to someone who could possibly have been helped in easing their anxiety by reducing their automatic, irrational thought with rational thoughts.

CBT has helped me immensely in my battle against HA and anxiety in general. Replacing our irrational thoughts with rational thoughts can ease our anxiety, and with daily practice, can make life so much simpler.

Just an example of how I would use it when in the middle of a panic attack.

Example of how it could work: your leg is killing you. What are your thoughts? Maybe something like the following.
1) oh no, my leg and my calf is hurting. I wonder if it could be a DVT. I bet it's a blood clot. It could go to my lungs and kill me.
2) I'm going to have a PE and there won't be anything that can save me
3) there's no one here to help me and I'm going to die.
4) man, this is hurting. This isn't normal. There must be something really wrong.
5) I feel dizzy and sick and I'm hyperventilating. I'm not going to be able to breathe.

All of these are automatic thoughts and by their very nature, irrational.

How can you replace these automatic, irrational thoughts with rational thoughts?

Think about the possible types of distortions in your automatic thoughts.

All or Nothing Thinking - are you looking at things in a black or white category, with no in between.

Overgeneralization - using words like Always or Never

Mental Filter - dwelling on a single, negative event at the exclusion of all other things

Discounting the Positive - think that the positive experiences don't count because they weren't quite good enough.

Jumping to Conclusions - interpret things badly when there is no evidence to back up your conclusion.

Magnification - magnify the importance of your problems or short comings.

Emotional Reasoning - feeling scared about something so assuming that it must be really bad.

Should Statements - telling yourself things should or shouldn't be this particular way.

I find that if I can find the distortion in my thought and replace it with a calm, rational statement and that if I practice this often enough, it helps me tremendously.

Hang in there, Roxy. You can take control and make this better.

HoneyLove
15-04-14, 23:23
Good advice & demonstration Tanner, CBT really can be so helpful when irrational thoughts pop into our heads. It was one of the best things I ever did, really helped me begin to think rationally again :)

Tanner40
15-04-14, 23:29
It was the biggestbthing that began to help me to think rationally again. Not sure where I would be without it today. Made me a much more positive person, as well.

RoseEve
16-04-14, 02:21
These methods have helped me tremendously as well. Great post .

Fishmanpa
16-04-14, 02:58
Great Post Tanner.

The techniques I've learned through the free CBT I downloaded here have helped me with some depression and "scanxiety" when it rears its Dragon head. That and a "Momma's little helper" take the edge off come check up time.

It takes a concerted effort but it's worth it.

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
16-04-14, 05:09
Yes, we did a module on those in self help groups I used to attend. They are very useful.

It can help if you combine them with some form of logical thinking, in a written form such as in these thought records.

http://media.psychologytools.org/Worksheets/English/CBT_Thought_Record.pdf
http://media.psychologytools.org/Worksheets/English/CBT_Thought_Record_Portrait.pdf
http://media.psychologytools.org/Worksheets/English/Health_Anxiety_Thought_Record.pdf

Just as a suggestion, it's worth adding what people should be doing against your statements so they can read how to challenge it e.g. SHOULD is rigid and places pressure on you whereas COULD implies choice.

I remember the module had that in and as a group we would discuss it and relate to our own experiences.

flossy74
17-04-14, 19:21
Great post, some excellent tips and links here :)