PDA

View Full Version : Going gluten-free instantly eliminated all my anxiety

hazmatz
16-04-14, 01:28
I hope I'm not posting this in the wrong section but I really want to tell you guys how I completely eliminated my anxiety and panic attacks for good.

I was struggling with intense panic attacks for almost a year. It made me perform poorly at work and it was totally taking over my life. Until the other day when my therapist (whom I've been seeing for many months) had this crazy idea that gluten is affecting my digestive system and creating a fight or flight response in my brain. So I figured I had nothing to lose and went a few days without ANY gluten products.

Well I'm on day 3 and I can confidently say that my problems are completely gone. I can't even make myself feel anxious if I try. Research some of the negative testimonies against gluten. It's responsible for over 250 symptoms including depression, anxiety and panic. I know it sounds crazy. But so many people are sensitive to gluten without even being aware of it. I had absolutely no idea until now. Give it a shot! What do you have to lose? I've never been happier in my whole life.

MyNameIsTerry
16-04-14, 01:35
Thats great news, well done!

I've read about this as a possibility on Bodybuilding.com threads where drinking Whey had caused anxiety in existing anxiety sufferers. There was some studies thrown around but not everybody had experienced the issues. Others attributed it to BCAA's in high dosages.

It's very interesting and the fact it could be a gluten intolerance could explain why not everybody experienced it so it's worth a try.

I expect Lilharry will be commenting on here as she has found some interesting issues with Candida that use of probiotics is resolving.

I suggest you add a thread in the Top Tips section about this so everyone will see it as opposed to the PA people.

How difficult was it to eliminate gluten? How did you go about it?

LiveAboveIt
16-04-14, 02:23
I'm curious, as well.. What foods is Gluten in and how do you avoid them?

hazmatz
16-04-14, 03:10
Anything bread related. I work at a subway so as you can imagine I (used to) eat bread all the time after my shifts. I also used to eat tacos frequently because they're my favorite but the tortilla shell is wheat based and therefore glutened. You'd have to search what foods are affected by gluten because there are so many. Gluten is in almost everything the average person consumes. It's a bit hard to make the transition but with people becoming more aware of it's effects, many grocery stores offer gluten free sections, so I've found shopping to be quite simple.

MyNameIsTerry
16-04-14, 04:21
Did a quick search and found this.

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/planning-meals/gluten-free-diets/what-foods-have-gluten.html

Thats certainly a lot of what we eat everyday.

I know in my local supermarket, they have a gluten free section which could be useful. I was surprised to see the bit about oats as I wouldn't have expected gluten in those.

Based on that list, I can't see how Whey protein would cause anything. Whilst it's high in Glutamine, that has some links to treatment of anxiety & depression, albeit insufficient evidence. I guess it could be due to individual ingredients by certain manufacturers since it says in the case of oats it's gluten contamination in the manufacturing process. Very interesting.

Hey Hazmatz, Subway not as healthy as the ads would lead us to believe. Sounds like a case of industrial injury there buddy...:D

shakey1961
16-04-14, 10:37
At last, someone else who has suffered in the same way as I have. I've mentioned going gluten free till I'm blue in the face here. I have posted many threads on here about the subject.

I started with panic and anxiety when I was 16yo, I'm now 52, and it wasn't until 3 years ago I found out, by accident, that gluten was at the root of my problems. I've not panicked in over 2 years now! Hardly had a twinge of anxiety either!

Only the other day, I was talking to someone I'd just recently met, who had worked in the medical profession and before I even got to the gluten bit, she said "Oh you have gluten intolerance" I was amazed and also angry that my former GP had never thought to get me tested.

I also had low blood sugar attacks, and I couldn't make the link between why I should be getting them when there was no history of diabetes in my family. There now is a direct link with coeliac disease! One of the side effects of gluten intolerance / coeliac disease is Hypoglycaemia!

Now will the rest of the contributors on here believe me that gluten COULD be at the root of your problems?

By the way, gluten is in Wheat Barley and Rye so you have to keep off anything that has that in!

cloudbusting
16-04-14, 10:55
Wow. This is fascinating stuff.

I'm willing to give anything a try ... could any of you gluten free folks point us in the direction of acceptable food lists, please ? I'm sure that a lot of us would be very grateful ... many thanks :flowers:

Lisa x

Humly
16-04-14, 11:39
I am really interested in this. Results after 3 days sounds amazing! I am willing to give it a go and see how i get on.

sjane
16-04-14, 11:49
Hi, This hits a nerve with me, I think I'm going to try going Gluten Free.

Interestingly my mum went Gluten Free to help with her Underactive Thyroid after I read it may help. So far she has been able to drop her medication. She seems brighter in herself and she has been strict with it too. She hasn't lost weight, but thats probably because she has a sweet tooth and searches out gluten free cakes lol !!

My anxiety has got worse since my hysterectomy two years ago, stress at work has sent me loopy and I've had to up my fluoxetine. I've been off work two weeks now, due to the side effects of the drug making me worse.

After doing some research I think I will start going gluten free from tomorrow and see if it helps :)

phil6
16-04-14, 12:04
Hi all,
I have been reading this up.
I would like to ask a few questions as I don't want to go off on yet another different track trying to rid myself of anxiety.
I am 61 and have had periods of anxiety since my 20s but also long spells without what I would call a disorder. I have been reasonable well for about 7 years until this most recent spell starting 15 months ago.
My symptoms (GAD) are mainly based around the stomach but is all about a feeling of dread in the pit of the stomach and coping with the negative thoughts that come. I get a gurgling tummy and a lot of wind in the early mornings but I don't get IBS, diarrhea, or any extreme symptoms except a loss of appetite and some slight nausea.
If I had a Gluten intolerance then I don't think I would have had a long spell of being OK until stress kicked my anxiety off again. I try to eat a healthy balanced diet which does not include bread, cakes etc.
What sort of symptoms do you have prior to the diet?
Trying a Gluten free diet looks quite difficult and I would appreciate your thoughts as I am unsure if it applies if my anxiety doesn't include a raft of other symptoms.

shakey1961
16-04-14, 12:16
I have to say, I also was free from anxiety in around 3 days. as daft as it may sound, I can feel my feet on the floor now, I'm totally calm inside and I even walk taller, standing straight up instead of a slight haunch.

I feel like saying "Look world - I'm back!"

As for the diet, sadly, it's all or nothing. You cannot reduce your gluten intake. One bit of gluten and you WILL be ill again. I know, I've accidently eaten it and I've felt bad within minutes. The diet may sound difficult, but I find it easy - it's a simple choice, do I eat gluten free or do I eat wheat etc, and am I willing to suffer with panic and anxiety? No brainer really! I also find it daft that I almost don't feel the need to breathe, no more gasping and sighing.

As for the stomach problems, most DEFINATELY linked to gluten. I too also had periods when I was well, then I'd have bad times. I've been well from anxiety for over 2 years now.

Go for it.

cloudbusting
16-04-14, 12:45
I also find it daft that I almost don't feel the need to breathe, no more gasping and sighing.

This is the part that really spoke to me when I did a bit of reading earlier about gluten intolerance, the constant sighing and never feeling able to take a 'full' breath. I practice belly breathing now as much as I can which has helped somewhat, but this is still a problem for me.

As with any change of diet I guess it would be wise to check it put with your GP first before diving headlong into it. I see that a gluten free way of eating can result in lack of some vitamins after a while so good quality supplements are sensible.

Shakey, I shall take a look at your other posts about this, thank you. So just what do you eat ? I love porridge oats so was a bit sad to see they are a no no but you can get gluten free versions ?

Lisa x

phil6
16-04-14, 12:49
Looking on the Internet it suggests that you should try a gluten free diet for at least 2-3 weeks...
Are you saying that I would be able to see an improvement in only days?
I guess it isn't a problem to buy and eat fresh meat, fish, potatoes, eggs, fruit for a week to see how I feel.. It would be amazing if that worked...
It wouldn't depart much from my existing diet... Just need to cut out gravy, sauces and the odd biscuit, and things like yogurts ... Not a major problem.

shakey1961
16-04-14, 13:12
You see, everything is not lost. There is gluten free porridge available, you'll be able to go back onto it once you find out. You just need to stick to the diet to the letter, no wavering whatsoever.

I found I can eat ice-cream, so I've gone a bit mad on it. Now I'm getting a little rash on my neck and between two fingers, so I'm going to cut it out for a while and see if it clears up. I also notice if I have too much dairy stuff I get tinnitus! I've kept off the ice-cream since yesterday and the tinnitus is going.

I would say stick with the diet for a good 2-3 weeks, but I personally found I felt better after a few days.

As for the vitamin supplement, it's the fact that your immune system is attacking you gut that prevents vitamins getting into your system. Look up intestinal villi and that will explain more. These Villi get "knocked out" so it prevents vitamins and minerals getting into you. It also stops you digesting lactose properly too.

Excuse the pun, but I always had a "gut" feeling that my anxiety wasn't all in my mind and that "something was doing this to me." Looking back I was in the right area, but just couldn't put my finger on it.

It's fascinating for me, and continues to be a revelation.

cloudbusting
16-04-14, 14:11
Great stuff, thank you Shakey.

Yeah, I know I definitely have a psychological disposition toward anxiety and panic but I always believed ( and the gut instinct is very real, there is a connection between brain and gut) that there was more to it as well. Maybe this is the key ?

Loads of stuff online about this, I never would have imagined that there could be a link.

SADnomore
16-04-14, 17:30
Thanks, Hazmatz, for posting this thread! And as Terry says, probably Lilharry will be able to provide more rationale for going gluten-free, as she subscribes to a paleo-type diet I believe. Her link for Mark's Daily Apple advocates gf eating, would go into detail what Shaken is explaining about the villi, and they go into depth with why our gut is not designed to digest wheat, gluten, etc. A new naturopathic physician started practice in my town, and the first thing she does with new patients is to put them on an elimination diet. No gluten, no corn, no soy, no dairy. And no sugar, which, btw, is what feeds candida growth. Sugar feeds yeast (I remember my mother adding sugar to yeast for bread baking). For the duration of the 28 days, also no alcohol or caffeine (green tea is okay for weaning as best you can if you must) because these will interfere. You can do as Hazmatz suggests too and just isolate out the gluten for a few days or weeks and see if it helps. Tossing out all packaged prepared foods is key to this, as you will be amazed how much gluten it contains!

When I first saw the new doctor, I was on a prescription acid blocker called Nexium and was still having breakthrough acid reflux. Major IBS. Also, a "fuzzy-feeling" coated tongue that hurt in the middle, and (sorry, pardon me) anal itching. Within weeks of starting the diet I no longer had cramping and the other ibs symptoms, and my yeast symptoms were gone (I had no idea the fuzz/itch even was yeast overgrowth, had never heard of it!) If you are interested in exploring your dietary sensitivities and to try to come off pharmaceuticals for tummy troubles, you could try an elimination plan for a month. You don't need to take all kinds of supplements (unless you're detoxifying your liver, lol!) B vitamins are probably a good idea if you have found that they don't increase your anxiety. This is the one I did.
go to pp 10/11 and 12/13 https://douglaslabs.com/Metabolic%20Rejuvenation%20Patient%20Guidebook.pdf
Remember, no alcohol and no coffee (you can do it!)

At the end, I slowly added back in eliminated items, beginning with soy. Hello IBS symptoms! Soy is my worst culprit, and it is in so many processed foods! Check your salad dressings :P ... Waited a few days, tried dairy (notably cheese and ice cream), back came IBS! Finally, gluten tends to bind me up, but I didn't make note of its effects on my anxiety one way or the other. However, we need only to recognize the gut-brain connection to imagine how for gluten sensitive folks this will be an issue! And how will you know which you are, if you don't take it out and see? I avoid it now and yes, I breathe easier!!

Also, I don't think I'm sensitive to peanuts, BUT as they often contain a mould, I eat almond butter instead. I eat rice, quinoa, gluten-free porridge oats and almond milk. I have found a gluten free bread for toast of a morning, but I don't bother with it other than that. (Look in the freezer in the bakery department.) Fruit, vegetables, fish etc. Lots of water. I am back drinking coffee, and can manage a dollop of cream in it in the mornings now. But cheese roars to life my acid reflux, especially when combined with gluten, like in a pizza :( ALSO OF NOTE: donteatchease has posts on here speaking of how eliminating cheese has, for her, eliminated her anxiety! Very cool! :D And well done, Shakey, for noticing the absence of tinnitus after saying goodbye to ice cream! That one symptom drives me nuts! Lol!

And do you know, I cracked and had a very rare pizza the other day for dinner and lunch next day, and have suffered through a viscious two-day attack of acid reflux and now my chest is behaving like I have a bad cold, accompanied by earache! Ugh! Back to healthy basics!
Marie

---------- Post added at 10:30 ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 ----------

**Just noticed, in the shopping list for the diet in the link, milk thistle tea is suggested. PLEASE NOTE: milk thistle is NOT to be taken by those who are on antidepressant medications, just like St John's Wort isn't! **

cloudbusting
16-04-14, 17:47
Great post, Marie ! Thanks so much, loads of good info there.

Well, today is day 3 of taking Citalopram. I took it this morning and then had a sugary cereal for breakfast ... BIG mistake, won't be doing that again :ohmy:

Then I came on here and read about gluten intolerance. For the rest of the day I have eaten gluten free, gf sausages, avocado and just had chicken and brown rice for dinner. Guess what ? NO heart jumps or flutters which I usually get *every* time that I eat and has set off panic at times. :yesyes:

This is all new to me so I'm not prepared in my kitchen yet and just sorting through what I can have from what's there. If this carries on though I shall be a very happy bunny :D

Lisa x

---------- Post added at 17:47 ---------- Previous post was at 17:46 ----------

Ps just wanted to add about the tinnitus thing. It plagues me too. I had just got rid of one episode and then had another start up on Saturday night ... after reading this thread I can trace it back to the cheese and crackers I ate for supper ...

SADnomore
16-04-14, 17:57
Wow! Cloudbusting, that's wonderful! You go girl! :yahoo:
Marie :flowers:

shakey1961
16-04-14, 20:34
I hope the people who try a gluten free diet will keep us informed and tell us their experiences and if they get well.

MyNameIsTerry
17-04-14, 04:14
I've been having a look at what I eat and how I know I react afterwards. Given I've not changed my diet from before my anxiety and the fact that I can feel better after eating gluten meals, I don't think this is my issue. Given it has to be all or nothing, it should be consistenly affecting my anxiety...or have I got this wrong?

However, it has made me think more about the Candida issues Lilharry & Mbarger have discussed and the various points on sugar. So, I think it could be worth me looking at those instead. I still would love to see how this gluten issue progresses though and hope it works for a lot of people.

shakey1961
17-04-14, 06:40
Terry, I noticed it didn't seem to work like that. I had times when I was bad and times I was well, it didn't constantly affect my anxiety, but I was never able to rid myself of it. There were times, especially in the morning, when I'd wake up and feel really good, but I knew as soon as I ate, I would feel "off" again. Cutting out Gluten has made me feel good all the time.

Gluten triggers your immune system to attack your gut, and it could be this that is helping the Candida to flourish. I suffer/suffered with Candida too and it helps if I take garlic capsules.

Going gluten free won't harm you, and it's worth a try.

Edie
17-04-14, 08:13
Oats do not contain gluten, they contain something called glutanin which is similar to gluten and causes a reaction in some people with gluten intolerance, but not in others. Additionally, many oats are processes in the same plants as wheat flour and may become contaminated. You can get gluten free otas which are confirmed not to be contaminated. But although I have gluten intolerance, I have never had a reaction from non-gf oats. It really depends on the individual. If you want to try a gf diet it's best to do it strictly for a while at first, and then test certain foods such as oats to see if they cause a problem.

Good luck to anyone trying a gf diet. It's difficult at first, but you soon get used to what you can and can't eat.

As for cakes, bought ones are so sickly sweet, much better (and more fun) to make your own imo :)

shakey1961
17-04-14, 08:51
Just to prove to people it's not all plain sailing, as I type this (at 8:50am) my heart is thumping a bit. This is one of the symptoms of Candida. I'm on a gluten free diet, but I think I've head too much ice-cream (far too much actually lol).

I've had a garlic capsule and I should be ok in about an hour. I'll tell you how I get on.

Lilharry
17-04-14, 09:28
Good thread! Yes, as the others have said, I have had some success with going gluten and sugar free. From my research I have learnt that in people with an intolerance, gluten can attack your digestive system and leave it open to infection by bad bacteria, including candida. It can also leave your intestines permeable which can let food proteins into your blood stream causing allergies and intolerances to various things. It also means that your intestines have trouble absorbing nutrients which can leave you depeleted. These things on their own and combined can cause a whole raft of symptoms, including anxiety. Mine started with anxiety and random pains in my chest and ribs when I was young. It progressed to food intolerances, hay fever, heart palpitations, severe anxiety and panic attacks as I got older. Then it got so bad that I became extremely fatigued, was in a lot of pain, was constantly anxious and severly depressed - had pretty much every symptom under the sun and have now been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue. After seeing several doctors who told me it was "just anxiety", I finally found a doctor and a naturopath who are working together to help me. I also researched everything under the sun until I found some blogs and books that really made sense to me. I now follow a sort of a paleo style diet to eliminate food toxins and sensitivities and try and heal my poor gut. It has been hard work, but I really believe this is the cause of my problems and I'm confident I will be well again. Because of how sick I became and the length of time it took for me to get that bad, it will take a long time to heal. I started in July last year and have been getting progressively better since then. I have had numerous set backs on the way, but each time I get a little bit stronger. I find paleo blogs really helpful for recipes and tips and the book The Perfect Health Diet, by Paul and Shou-Ching Jamminet is probably the most informative, science based book I've read on the subject of health and nutrition and I would recommend this to anybody who suffers from chronic illness, physical or mental, and is interested in improving their health.

Other blogs I find helpful:
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/welcome-to-marks-daily-apple/#axzz2z86T4Cid
http://chriskresser.com/
http://perfecthealthdiet.com/the-diet/
http://www.westonaprice.org/

shakey1961
17-04-14, 09:59
Well it's now 10am. 1 hour 15 mins later and I feel much better. See, it does work.

phil6
17-04-14, 12:04
I asked my GP about this and have agreed to have it tested for in my annual blood test. She thinks that my anxiety symptoms do not point to a Gluten intolerance.

shakey1961
17-04-14, 12:24
As far as I'm aware, you can't test for gluten intolerance. You can test for Coeliac Disease, but even if that comes back negative you can still be gluten intolerant.

By all means get tested for Coeliac, but if it comes back negative try the elimination diet.

BTW, for the coeliac test to work you need to be eating gluten. The test looks for antibodies in the blood, so if you have no gluten in your body, you have no antibodies, and you'll get a false negative result.

Lilharry
17-04-14, 21:41
The only real test is if you feel better not eating it. Doctors don't know and can't test for everything sadly, otherwise we wouldn't need pages like this. I decided I had to take my health into my own hands and that's when I started to get better.