PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram worries

gismo1979
30-07-04, 11:23
My partner has taken hiimself off his citalopram suddenly because he did not like the side effectsas they sometimes made him more depressed than the depression itself. He was put on them because of a suicide threat about a 2 months ago. He has not taken them for about month and is showing unpredictable mood swings.Most of the time he is happy but he can change so quickly. I am really worried that there might not be an end to this. He is also refusing to see his doctor. HAs anyone got any advice.

sarah
30-07-04, 13:46
Hiya Gismo

It could be that his body was still getting used to them being in his system and that is why he was still having side effects.

If he really couldnt bear it, maybe he should go back to his doctor and see if he can try another anti depressant. Not everything suits everyone, so it may be that the citalopram just didnt agree with him.

If he is refusing to see his doctor, then he needs to take steps to help himself by eating healthy, taking regular exercise, preocupying himself with a hobby and taking time out for relaxation.

I hope this was of some help.

take care and let us know how you/he is doing

love Sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

sweetwater
30-07-04, 13:47
hi gismo 1979,
sounds like your partner needs to touch base with his dr. again, and try a different class of antidepressant...good luck.

Meg
30-07-04, 15:24
So he was taking them for about a month total . As has been mentioned it can take 6weeks to work and in that time symptoms can be more pronounced than previously...

Depending on how bad his withdrawal symptoms are , he could start again at a lower dose and wean back on and try it again These unpredictable mood swings are not unexpected . They should pass within about 6-8 weeks off the tablets.

Or stay off them and see doctor to try an alternative medication.

Or stay off them and try to self help and get help from his doctor in form of counselling or pay privately and find your own therapist and not involve the doctor at all.

I'm not sure how the health care system works out with you.
Could you get him to go to another doctor if that is available to you ?

What is the cause of his issues ?

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch

HB
31-07-04, 10:57
well i have recently come off citalopram and in total it took me about 4 months!! you really shouldn't come off them so suddenly, it changes the chemical balance in your brain too quickly. Perhaps a different anti- depressant would help him more effectively?

H

crazychickuk
03-08-04, 01:47
HI, i was on that med for a few weeks, i stopped it and ended up in hospital with the worst ever panick attack.. i was awfull, anyways i have come of my mirtazipine, i am not on no meds at the moment, i stopped the mirtazipine after being on it for a year i stopped it right in its tracks i felt a little agitated and depressed but valium helped me with that, he defintly needs to go to the doctors again, you need to make the appointment and some how get him there, tell him he needs help, tell him you cant sit back and watch him like this, you love him to bits and that when he is hurt you are to etc, that should work..

good luck

Luv Y'all

Donna

HB
03-08-04, 13:25
I totally agree with that xx

H

gismo1979
08-08-04, 10:44
[:O] Cheers for your support at the moment things dont appear to bad but I dont think there is any way I am going to get him back on the medication. So I think we will just have to rely on the self help. I am pushing him into his hobby and his work and it does seem to be helping.
I am also a sufferer of anxiety and panic attacks since I moved into my own place 4 months ago. When my partner tried to commit suicide (this is a long story) I was put on Prozac which I didnt think I would have any problems as had taken it before. My partner came back to me and we have been together ever since. I had worse panic attacks on the prozac then before. You cant win can you.

Can some one also explain why he was put on these for a suicide attempt when alot of people and the packet do say that they can cause feelings of suicide and do not take if suicidal. I dont understand.

HB
08-08-04, 17:04
I guess you just have to find the right meds if you want them to be 100% effective xx

H