PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety over my heart. Sharp pains in neck, chin, and down arms.

Jsp
16-04-14, 02:45
Hi everyone,

I've been getting these pains for the last few hours. It's like a sharp shooting pain, not too painful but noticeable. They're normally in my chin, neck, down my arms (mainly left) and sometimes in like my upper chest. I just got a more dull pain in my back but it was kind of similar. I'm so worried about this as I know it's a symptom of angina :(. I have had lots of anxiety over my heart before, due to chest pains and palpitations, but I haven't been this anxious in a while - it's keeping me awake. I had a dull chest pain I'm the centre of my chest earlier tonight when I was hunched over a little.

I had an ECG and an echocardiogram about two years ago, both came back fine. I went to the doc last week due to palps and she's sending me for another ECG soon just in case. When I went my blood pressure and pulse was kinda high, 100/130 :/. I'm 19 next week also so I'm still pretty young, and there's no history of heart problems in my family. I'm vegetarian and try to keep to low salt food.

I'm just so worried :( someone help! I'm laying in bed with the tv on, trying to take my mind of it and do deep breaths but the pains keep coming, and I feel really on edge :/

Edit: I just got a weird dull ache down my left arm :( and my belly feels weird now! My pulse feels regular though but I'm still really panicking

Jsp
16-04-14, 23:58
Anyone? :/

Tanner40
17-04-14, 00:06
JSP, if it is really troubling you, make an appointment to see your physician. With that said, the likelihood of having heart related problems at your age is minimal. You stated that you've had heart related anxiety in the past, so this makes sense to be anxiety. After all, you are posting on an anxiety forum.

What are you doing to help your anxiety, JSP? Medication? meditation? Therapy? CBT? Distraction? Have you came up with a game plan to combat the anxious feelings that you're having?

There is a really good CBT program on line and it's free. That might be a great place to start. Try some deep breathing meditation videos. YouTube has plenty that are free. Relax and they to do something positive.

Jsp
17-04-14, 00:08
JSP, if it is really troubling you, make an appointment to see your physician. With that said, the likelihood of having heart related problems at your age is minimal. You stated that you've had heart related anxiety in the past, so this makes sense to be anxiety. After all, you are posting on an anxiety forum.

What are you doing to help your anxiety, JSP? Medication? meditation? Therapy? CBT? Distraction? Have you came up with a game plan to combat the anxious feelings that you're having?

There is a really good CBT program on line and it's free. That might be a great place to start. Try some deep breathing meditation videos. YouTube has plenty that are free. Relax and they to do something positive.

Thank you for your reply!

I've actually got an ECG booked tomorrow morning, and I had a blood test the other day, so I'll see how they go. I've had CBT once in the past, as well as an online course, but these didn't work for me unfortunately :/. I started Fluoxetine a week ago, but I couldn't bare the side effects by the 4th day, so after my ECG I'll go back to my doctor to see what else I can try. No matter how much I do deep breaths, and try to distract myself, the palpitations/chest pains don't stop until they wanna stop! :(

Tanner40
17-04-14, 00:41
One thing that found totally necessary in my recovery was to learn to trust my physician and the test results. If the tests and ECG all come back clear, let that be it. Understand, believe and accept that it is anxiety that is causing your symptoms. Acceptance is one of the key points to recovery.
Then come up with a game plan for your recovery from anxiety. Give CBT a try again. It helped me immensely in talking myself down from irrational thoughts.

Let us know how your tests turn out and good luck.