PDA

View Full Version : Daughter's results :(

Susie333
16-04-14, 20:05
My daughter had her results today and she has stage 2 Melanoma. I am so worried, she has to have another biopsy and they will also check her lymph nodes. All the consultants and Macmillan staff were wonderful but I am totally devistated with this result (and so is she). I have to stay positive and tell myself that there will be a positive outcome. Her melanoma messured 0.95cm but had three modules growing from it. Does anyone else recognises this diagnosis?

Tessar
16-04-14, 20:17
Oh gosh susie. I am sorry to hear about your daughters results. I can totally relate 2 why you'd feel devastated. It is a worrying time. I don't have any knowledge of the diagnosis I am afraid but I am so glad up your daughter has got a caring and concerned mum looking out for her.
I am absolutely certain she will be so grateful for your warmth and affection.
Often when it comes to fighting & beating a disease ... it is not just physical courage and strength that is required. having a solid and reliable support network makes a huge difference & can be the driving force behind recovery.
Also I am glad you have your friends here at NMP because staying strong for others, particularly someone so dear to you is not an easy task. We can help to support you and give you an outlet for concerns too.
Sending u hugs and positive vibes.

Susie333
16-04-14, 20:32
Tessar, you have brought the huggest lump to my throat. Thank you so much for you kind words. Our children and grandchildren are so precious. I hope and pray for a positive outcome to this living hell! x

Shivmarie
16-04-14, 20:41
God bless you, your daughter and your family at this time. I send you positive vibes xxx

Kirbear
16-04-14, 20:46
I'm so sorry to hear this Susie. :hugs:

Sending love your way. x

Annie0904
16-04-14, 21:09
I am really sorry to hear this Susie. Not easy as a Mother to see your children suffering but like Tessar said your daughter has a wonderful caring Mother to help her through this and you have support to help you to cope and you know you can always turn to your friends at NMP. Sending you lots of loving hugs :hugs::hugs::hugs:

unsure_about_this
16-04-14, 21:14
Hi

Sorry to hear the news,

MRS STRESS ED
16-04-14, 21:26
Susie from one mum to another stay strong stay positive hope for the best outcome ,and make sure you dont burden this on your own we are hear to try and help and listen look after yourself you and your precious daughter will be in my prayers xxxx

Susie333
16-04-14, 21:36
Thank you all so much Fishmanpa I need your reassurance?1? x

bingjam
16-04-14, 21:47
Im sorry to hear about your daughters results. I was only thinking about your previous posts you had done just the other day...

Keep strong for your daughter..

Wish it was better results for your daughter... i cant imagine what your both going through...

All will be well I'm sure

X

Catherine S
16-04-14, 22:03
Stage 2 usually means it hasn't gone down to deeper layers or affected any lymph nodes that may be close by, so the treatment should be fairly localised. I think all you can do is try not to let her see you are scared, this is happening to her not to you so you need to keep her spirits up. She will recover from stage 2 so you need to try and be practical not hysterical..harsh I know, but this is not about you its about her, hope you understand. Take care.

ISB x

NotCool
16-04-14, 22:47
First of all, I'm very sorry to hear that, but as "I Still Believe" said, the proceedure for Stage 2 is NOT a guaranteed death sentence, so try to keep that in mind, and be strong, for you and your daughter. I'm sure your daugher will beat this.

RoseEve
17-04-14, 02:47
I'm sorry Susie I am praying for you and her.

bulan
17-04-14, 04:48
It's not easy dealing with the impact of news like this. I'm so sorry, Susie.

As some others have hinted at, this diagnosis has a better prognosis than other types of cancer. This is not to lessen the grief you must be feeling now. But I hope it gives you some hope for the journey ahead.

Fishmanpa
17-04-14, 05:05
Thank you all so much Fishmanpa I need your reassurance?1? x

Hi Susie,

I've been spending less and less time here but saw your post and wanted to respond. I've been wondering what was going on. Sorry to hear the news. That being said, this is VERY treatable and having a strong caregiver (YOU!) is vital to getting through this. I encourage both you and your daughter to join the cancer survivors network (http://csn.cancer.org/). There are forums specifically devoted to melanoma as well as caregivers. It helped me tremendously through my journey and still does.

I know it's scary for both of you. I can tell you attitude is 90% of the battle so keeping it positive is vital. Another thing that your daughter should look into is a 2nd opinion. I don't know how the health care system works there but I strongly believe and advise this. Time is of the essence so if it's possible to do so, get moving on it. I was going to be treated locally but something just didn't feel right. I sought a 2nd opinion at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, MD. (2.5 hours away from me and the best cancer hospital in the US). Having a "team" of doctors all working together and more importantly, having confidence in them is so important. I was treated at JH and I'm convinced it's why I'm still here.

I had Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Head & Neck. It was an unknown primary meaning they didn't know where it started. All cancers are bad but SCC is particularly nasty. An unknown primary accounts for 1-2% and is very rare. I was stage IV to boot! 90% of unknown primary H&N cancers are oropharyngeal or back of tongue so that is how I was treated. To say it was rough is a gross understatement but I'm still here, alive and kickin'! If I were to believe the statistics I would have planned my funeral so know that everyone is different. The prognosis is very good for stage 2 melanoma and while treatments vary, it's very doable.

You'll both get through this. Knowledge is power so both of you learn as much as you can. Visit/join the forum, ask questions, keep a notebook and most importantly, make sure your daughter is her own advocate concerning her care and be there to back her up.

Positive thoughts

Susie333
17-04-14, 12:00
Thank you all for taking the trouble to respond, I really appreciate your support.
I Still Believe - I take on board what you have said although I did find it rather harsh!! It's about us all really, whatever our family face we face it together. I don't cry or show my worry in front of my daughter, that's why I use this web site.

Jonesle
17-04-14, 12:42
I'm gutted to hear this news I must say. But at least now you know it can be dealt with. It's definitely definitely not a death sentence even at stage 4! So many people recover from cancer these days and she's young and has a great support network by the sounds. It's going to be tough but you have lots of people's positive thoughts here, including mine xxxx

Susie333
17-04-14, 13:01
Thank you Jonesle xxxx

Masqued
17-04-14, 13:18
I have a friend who has just celebrated 6 years cancer free after a stage 3 melanoma diagnosis, he was in his early 30s when diagnosed.

Wishing your daughter all the positive news and courage in the world xo

Susie333
17-04-14, 13:25
That's so good to hear Masqued, my daughter is also in her early 30's.

Thank you xx

Limey
17-04-14, 13:39
A diagnosis like this always knocks you for 6, but chin up, as others have pointed out, it should be relatively easy to deal with now it's been caught. You'll both make it through.

Rainboww
17-04-14, 13:55
Very sorry to hear about your daughters diagnosis - It must be a very difficult time for you all. Again, like others on here just wanted to provide some reassurance. I am a nursing student and have done a lot of work on melanoma and non-melanoma skin cancers and the fact that she has got this diagnosis at stage 2 is great. Many people do not notice or report problems with their skin and are diagnosed at later stages when it becomes more difficult to treat.
There are some fabulous treatments and surgeries available that have really high success rates - I am confident your daughter will be in good hands.
Wish your family all the best x

Susie333
17-04-14, 15:59
Thank you Raindoww, that is very reassuring x

Tessar
19-04-14, 22:33
Susie.... Just been reading the others posts here.
This is why NMP is such a great place. More hugs to you.....

Lin71
20-04-14, 12:55
Hi Susie I've not been around for a while so just catching up. Really sorry to hear this, but as others have said this is very treatable and your daughter has the love and support of what sounds like a wonderful family.
I know it's a horribly worrying time, it must feel like a bad dream so just take each stage at a time. Hopefully after the next biopsy you will get good news and she can be treated in the least invasive way possible. It's just a relief that she went to the Drs when she did.

Hugs to you and your daughter.

Lin xx