PDA

View Full Version : Caffeine

Spikie
17-04-14, 08:59
So I've (finally) come to the conclusion that caffeine is a bad thing for me to have, panic wise. It's like it hyper accelerates the part of my brain that makes me anxious, plus it makes me rush things and make mistakes (which makes me anxious). At home I'm fine unless I drink a lot, but at work half a bottle of coke seems to affect me massively.

Normal reaction? Or am I sensitive to caffeine (given how much I used to drink... but then I suppose that would also explain a lot :)).

What we need is a drink that makes us confident (alcohol? ;)) and lucid (so not alcohol :) )... someone should discover and market that.

#Edit#
Note to self, search forum before asking questions... Sorry!
But where are we with that confidence potion? ;)

Ryan92
17-04-14, 12:45
Hi Spikie, yep, caffeine can be bad for anxiety but when we drink it for years it becomes a habit, it has for me :doh: I have a cup of tea next to me right now :sign20: but I don't drink much else so sometimes I feel Im in a lose-lose situation :doh: I don't like alcohol and even if I did drink it, it would probably make my anxiety worse.

Maybe you could try de caff, or use less coffee mixture while making a drink or maybe just take a few minutes to make a cup of tea then the caffeine will not be as strong, obviously :)

You could try a non/low sugar/caffeine diet soft drink or diluted juices.

I wish there was a confidence potion, maybe it will exist one day :D

ankietyjoe
17-04-14, 12:49
It's a no brainer that caffeine is a bad idea with anxiety.

I used to drink 5-6 strong coffees per day plus diet cola galore on top of that and be fine, but with anxiety I can't touch the stuff at all without trembling on the sofa for a few hours afterwards.