PDA

View Full Version : Vomiting every 5 weeks

KeeKee
17-04-14, 13:03
I have been absent from this site for a good few months due to doing CBT (which I believe was a waste of my and the therapists time) and being told not to come on this website at all.
Since August last year I have had bouts of extreme nausea (I literally feel ill) and vomiting every 5 weeks. I have missed 2 months but other than that it is literally every 5 weeks and takes me between 3 - 5 days to start getting back on my feet.
At first the doctor said it was anxiety, then he has said it will be hormonal due to it occurring every 5 weeks. (I think it could be cyclical vomiting syndrome).
Anyway he finally gave me Cyclizine to take when I feel it coming on, and that is right now. I have stupidly googled this medicine and side effects such as paralysis, tachycardia and hallucinations have come up and I am terrified. I honestly do not know what to do but I cannot put up with 3 days of sickness.
Has anyone taken Cyclizine? My partner is at work later too so I will be alone with our daughter. I am also allergic to penicillin and read on one forum that a few people who had serious reactions were also allergic to penicillin and they were questioning whether there could be a connection.
I cannot stand this anymore. Over this past week or two my health anxiety is slowly creeping back.

blueangel
17-04-14, 15:11
It's a shame you didn't get on with CBT as lots of people find it very helpful. However, to make a comment about your worries about taking cyclizine (please note I am not a pharmacist!).

All drug manafacturers are required to list all the side effects of a drug - there is no way around this. However, no drug is marketed these days unless the proportion of people who suffer side effects has been carefully measured against a large test sample of people. Also, there is a national database of side effect reports and everything is recorded here.

What you seem to have looked up are the rare side effects - if I remember rightly, a side effect is classed as rare if more than 1 in 1,000 people given the drug have that reaction. The most common side effect is drowsiness, therefore this is the side effect you are most likely to experience.

If you are still worried, try taking half a tablet to start with.

Try not googling! :)

KeeKee
18-04-14, 20:00
Think you blueangel taking half sounds like a great idea.