PDA

View Full Version : Scared :(

kellylou89
17-04-14, 17:10
Last year sometime i remember writing a post because i was getting what felt like a rumbling in the chest, Almost like what you get when you have a chest infection.
I was diagnosed with reflux (gerd) and put on tablets for it before that, i was put on heart monitoring machines etc because i couldn't catch my breath, luckily there was nothing wrong with my heart, diagnosed with gerd and sent on my way.
I forgot all about that sensation in my test when it disappeared BUT the last couple of days it has returned and its scaring me again! It always feels like its your heart palpating but my chest is warm and i have a dry cough too, i just cant get over the what if its my heart and im gonna have a heart attack :/ iim not short of breath

Has anyone experience this at all?
Im on tabs for it but dont take them regularly anymore just when needed

---------- Post added at 17:10 ---------- Previous post was at 14:28 ----------

No one? :/

jayware33
17-04-14, 19:28
Hi there!

I'm new to this forum and actually you're the first person I've made any posts to :).

Firstly, I really don't think there is any reason for you to think that you're having a heart attack, or going to have one. I know, I know, that wont stop the thoughts though, right? You still think it's real and that maybe the Dr has missed something? Maybe they didn't do "all" the checks or that your condition has is now different somehow. These are the kind of thoughts I usually get on a daily basis.

Now, I can't see your age but I'm guessing your early 20's, 23?

You have had an Echo Cardiogram (ECG) which would pick up most heart abnormalities. This alone should be comforting? Do you really think the doctor would miss anything?

The sensation you describe I can relate to myself. I often get palpitations too. Feels like it causes a cough to clear it, almost like my heart has skipped or had a really hard beat. Again, these are mostly innocent and of no cause for concern.

Can I ask, what is it that you think you have? Do you have any suspicions of things?

PS... I also suffer from GERD and have done for the last 3 years. Daily Esomeprazole :(.

John

kellylou89
17-04-14, 23:59
Hi, thanks for replying! Im 25 .. I have no idea i read a leaking valve an aneurism and dangerous heart palpitations :(
It calms down when im sat after a few mins .. My chest is warm and i have what feels like a pulse then bubbling on my left side its scaring me to death! I keep thinking i have un diagnosed heart problem and its going to get worse .. It feels way too serious to be something as simple as acid :(

RapTalon
18-04-14, 00:56
I can relate completely to your post, as I have exactly the same sort of feelings pretty much every night. Like you, I'm on medication for acid reflux, yet I can't get the idea that it is a heart issue out of my mind. It's truly horrible, and I'm so sorry you are going through this as well.

kellylou89
18-04-14, 10:23
Thanks for your reply! .. It is so scary! .. Last night i felt like my heart was beating that hard!! .. Iv not had the sensation so far this morning but im so scared its going to come back at some point again today .. Surely if i had a heart problem it wouldnt come and go? I dont know? :(
I didnt eat last night at all i was struggling for breath this morn but after sitting down and making myself calm down its anxiety making me struggle for breath i was ok .. But the sensation i was having is still petrifying me

Limey
18-04-14, 10:36
Hi kellylou, I've had this on and off since I was 20, am now 24. It does sound just like reoccurring GERD. My doc gives me a course of omeprazole whenever I get flare up, usually in times of stress caused by health anxiety! It can feel weird, the rumbling, palpitations, the persistent cough, tight chest and feeling you can't get a full breath... The list goes on. You'll be fine :)

kellylou89
18-04-14, 11:16
Oh really? .. I have omeprazole but never sure if its side effects from that i have no idea :/ .. How long does yours last?
Thanks for your reply

Limey
18-04-14, 11:35
anywhere from a couple of days to a few months. It really depends on how worked up I get. Plus alcohol can set it off...

kellylou89
18-04-14, 11:46
Is it just me that thinks it feels like there heart? :/

Tanner40
18-04-14, 12:18
Kelly, you've been diagnosed with GERD, which can create all of the physical issues that you are having. You stated that you knew that anxiety was making it harder for you to breathe. Learn to trust that this is anxiety and accept that fact. Know that anxiety can't hurt you. It's miserable and uncomfortable but you're in no danger.

Taking omeprazole would be a good start to clearing up the physical ailments. Now the next step is to change your thought pattern about the "heart issues". Have you tried CBT? Worked wonders for me.