PDA

View Full Version : More HIV worrying/Overcoming HIV Anxiety

panicked1
17-04-14, 17:15
Hi guys,

Been a while since I've had to resort to asking for others' reassurance but had a trigger today that's set me off again.

I went to the doctors today to grab some hayfever medication and washed my hands straight after with hand sanitzer. I have a fresh and rather deep cut on the palm of my hand. I'm worried that there was blood on one of the door handles on the entrance to the doctor's office and that I have effectively used the hand sanitzer as a transport of medium by rubbing it into the cut - allowing for a HIV virus to have entered my bloodstream. Is there any likelihood of this happening?

On a related note, has anyone else suffered from HIV anxiety in the past? How did you shift it? It seems this is the only real obstacle for me overcoming my health anxiety

Thanks a lot guys
D

Jonesle
17-04-14, 17:19
HIV doesn't live outside the body for very long at all. So likelihood so small it's basically nil. I got over my HIV anxiety by not having unprotected sex, covering up open wounds with a plaster until it scabbed over, and ultimately I started worrying about other illness :( I don't recommend the last one but know the actual risks of catching HIV rather than a series of very unlikely events x

mummyanxious
17-04-14, 17:26
Was there actual blood on the handle or are you just thinking there was blood on the handle?

I had a massive HIV anxiety when I was younger. In fact this is what started my HA I think. For some irrational reason I thought I had HIV. Mine was easily cured so won't be the sake for you I'm afraid. Basically I had been with one guy. One day I got flu and it was to me the start of HIV. I couldn't get it out my head. It was at a time when it was in eastenders too. I couldn't watch that program as it would start me panicking.
I lived with my fear for years until one day I saw the guy with his family and realised he didn't have HIV as he wouldn't have two young kids. And I hadn't been with anyone else but my then current boyfriend. Spent all that time worrying for nothing.

Thing is there are germs all around us. If HIV was that easy to catch we'd have a massive epidemic on our hands?

panicked1
17-04-14, 17:32
Was there actual blood on the handle or are you just thinking there was blood on the handle?

I had a massive HIV anxiety when I was younger. In fact this is what started my HA I think. For some irrational reason I thought I had HIV. Mine was easily cured so won't be the sake for you I'm afraid. Basically I had been with one guy. One day I got flu and it was to me the start of HIV. I couldn't get it out my head. It was at a time when it was in eastenders too. I couldn't watch that program as it would start me panicking.
I lived with my fear for years until one day I saw the guy with his family and realised he didn't have HIV as he wouldn't have two young kids. And I hadn't been with anyone else but my then current boyfriend. Spent all that time worrying for nothing.

Thing is there are germs all around us. If HIV was that easy to catch we'd have a massive epidemic on our hands?

Thank you for your reply

I saw a small dot on the hand in concern whilst applying the hand sanitzer which has got me freaking out!

Do you think I would be considered at risk? I'm only 18 and small episodes such as this seem to dictate my life

mummyanxious
17-04-14, 17:35
Did you see blood on the handle though or did you just imagine it?

Like I said it would be very unlikely.

Have you ever spoken to your gp about your worries about HIV? They may be able to give you some 'factual evidence' to help you?

panicked1
17-04-14, 17:52
Did you see blood on the handle though or did you just imagine it?

Like I said it would be very unlikely.

Have you ever spoken to your gp about your worries about HIV? They may be able to give you some 'factual evidence' to help you?

I didn't see any on the handle but I've been concerned there could've been some around the back, say for example if someone had a small cut on one of their fingers.

I spoke to my GP at university a while back and they suggested CBT but I haven't followed it up as I thought I may try and fight it myself, however, I think I might follow their advice if things get worse

mummyanxious
17-04-14, 17:58
I think you need to do *something*
I'm not sure what the best approach is tbh, someone else will probably have more of an idea.
But if you saw no blood then you must forget it and move on. You can't live in the fear of every handle you touch etc etc.
I once worked with someone who wouldn't touch any handles, they always had to cover then with a tissue. It is I suppose a form of OCD.

panicked1
17-04-14, 18:14
I think you need to do *something*
I'm not sure what the best approach is tbh, someone else will probably have more of an idea.
But if you saw no blood then you must forget it and move on. You can't live in the fear of every handle you touch etc etc.
I once worked with someone who wouldn't touch any handles, they always had to cover then with a tissue. It is I suppose a form of OCD.

I guess it's because it's a handle to a doctors surgery that this is such a trigger. All I can imagine is that an HIV+ person has just had a blood test through a finger-prick and has touched the same handle I have. I recognise how crazy this sounds which is why it's so frustrating haha ):

mummyanxious
17-04-14, 18:46
At least you realise its irrational, that's a good place to be in. You just need to work on that. Start by asking yourself what evidence you have for and against the thought. Why would it be wrong? Challenge the thought and put positives into it.

jayware33
17-04-14, 20:02
Hey fella!

I think you should accept the offer of CBT.

As some of the other members have said, HIV is blood borne virus and is transmitted via blood. The HIV virus doesn't really like being outside of the human body and as a result, cannot sustain and the virus itself is unable to replicate and dies. The chances of you catching HIV from that door handle? Absolutely none. You weren't even sure if there was blood on the handle, so you invented that, or should I say, your anxiety invented that as our bodies are constantly on the lookout.

Lets say you're right and there was blood on the handle. Even if by some miracle the virus was still active and the blood did touch the open wound on your hand, there probably wouldn't be even enough virus or prolonged contact to cause any infection.

I think you're fine :)

John

panicked1
17-04-14, 20:02
At least you realise its irrational, that's a good place to be in. You just need to work on that. Start by asking yourself what evidence you have for and against the thought. Why would it be wrong? Challenge the thought and put positives into it.

Thanks for your responses. I guess asking my Dr for advice on PEP would be out of the question then?

jayware33
17-04-14, 20:22
Thanks for your responses. I guess asking my Dr for advice on PEP would be out of the question then?

Hey,

I really don't think that the antiviral meds would help as there is nothing to combat :-).

I was once in your position and I actually ended up going to the doctor and having an HIV blood test "just to be sure". The chances of anyone actually having HIV in the first place is still so so small.

Your doctor will not do PEP's without actual concern of you having contracted HIV. It would be expensive and not required in this case. He will however probably offer you a blood test to put your mind at rest.

John

---------- Post added at 20:22 ---------- Previous post was at 20:17 ----------

Also - just a little fact for you that will be sure to put your mind at rest :)

Did you know that the population of the UK is 63,000,000 approx and that the number of people in the UK that actually have HIV is about 98,000. That means you have a 0.15% chance of contracting HIV.

Better?