PDA

View Full Version : It's a blip right?

Marie36
17-04-14, 20:27
Feeling pretty rubbish today..very stressful morning and realised I was having palpatations again..haven't had them for ages and was pretty sure I was 'better'!
A medical colleague confirmed my pulse was a bit irregular...tried so hard not to focus on it but failed miserably and ended up back at gp..of course ecg was normal. Gp has suggested pregablin and although I am open to all suggestions, I am so upset and now back in the cycle of checking pulse etc. I do not believe I have heart problems. .the tests have ruled that out but I just can't cope with these anxiety symptoms....thoughts welcome

Xx

jayware33
17-04-14, 20:34
Hi Marie,

What's important to understand is that palpitations will almost certainly be part of your life forever. They can come and go and sometimes the episodes are far and few between.

You will get them from time to time and for a number of reasons which is a very long list :).

Your ECG will probably not have "captured" the palpitation therefore they cannot say what the underlying cause is however; your ECG was normal apart from that which leads me to say I agree with your doctor however; I wouldn't rush into taking the pregablin. You've had an episode of palpitations, leave it at that and accept it. I would start taking any medications unless you really think you need them or the palpitations are particularly troublesome.

Did you have any dizziness or chest pain with the palpitations?

John

Marie36
17-04-14, 20:43
Hey..thanks for your reply..I have had palpatations on and off for a while...this was just the longest it had been without them. I am taking low dose propranolol which I thought worked great. You're right about the ecg but this my fourth in a year..all normal..plus a whole stack of blood tests..all normal. An A&E doctor told me..'I can tell you now..there is nothing wrong with your heart' I figure they can't all be wrong!! And I can't change some rare thing that might mean I drop dow..bizarrely I don't worry about that..it's just tge symptoms and the worse by far are the palps.

jayware33
17-04-14, 20:54
Hey..thanks for your reply..I have had palpatations on and off for a while...this was just the longest it had been without them. I am taking low dose propranolol which I thought worked great. You're right about the ecg but this my fourth in a year..all normal..plus a whole stack of blood tests..all normal. An A&E doctor told me..'I can tell you now..there is nothing wrong with your heart' I figure they can't all be wrong!! And I can't change some rare thing that might mean I drop dow..bizarrely I don't worry about that..it's just tge symptoms and the worse by far are the palps.

You're welcome and hey, I totally understand you. I had a phase in my life which was focused around my palpitations and I was petrified. My thoughts ranged from "I have heart disease" to "I must have some undiagnosed heart abnormality". I always used think that the doctors had missed something or that this time was different, that palpitation felt like it lasted longer or that it was more intense therefore it must be something new and then anxiety would start all over.

I'm glad the beta-blockers are working for you, I tried them a while back but didn't help much.

Well there you have it, the doctors have given you the all clear and you have had a number of ECG's :). I have some medical knowledge (I'm not a doctor though) and would say that you're totally fine and this was really just a blip. You had an attack and you thought it was maybe a cause for concern again and grew into a state of uncertainty and questioning the tests maybe?

Here is a little insight to my triggers of palpitations.

They come more with caffeine and coffee intake. They happen more at night and sometimes when walking or exercising. I've also had 4 ECG tests (one of which was a 24 hour) and all normal yet, some voice at the back of my head used to tell me the doctors missed something.

I get them now and again but for the most part they dont bother me and if I get them, I cough hard and they pass :)

Your heart has it's very own unique way of working, it's kept on beating this long and hasn't let you down yet. It's your bodies best interest to keep you alive so just trust your body sensations.

Hope this helps.

John

Marie36
17-04-14, 21:12
Thanks John..it really does help. I trained as a nurse and have that typical thing that I have some knowledge..enough to know the symptoms of lots of diseases..not enough to reassure myself!! I have to trust the docs..they aren't worried and I must not either..easier said than done isn't it?! I am hypersensitive about every ache and pain and really thought I had a handle on it all. You're right..I need to accept this as part of this whole process. I have a lovely life and need to get this sorted.

Onwards and Upwards I guess!

jayware33
17-04-14, 21:17
Thanks John..it really does help. I trained as a nurse and have that typical thing that I have some knowledge..enough to know the symptoms of lots of diseases..not enough to reassure myself!! I have to trust the docs..they aren't worried and I must not either..easier said than done isn't it?! I am hypersensitive about every ache and pain and really thought I had a handle on it all. You're right..I need to accept this as part of this whole process. I have a lovely life and need to get this sorted.

Onwards and Upwards I guess!

It's ironic isn't it, medical knowledge yet we seem to use that to convince yourself that you really are sick (well, I do!).

Yes, that's the best action. Not the easiest but we will learn to listen to our bodies and accept that this is normal from time to time for whatever reason.

Keep me posted.

John