PDA

View Full Version : Heart Fears

RapTalon
18-04-14, 00:53
Hey guys. I'm new here, trying to come to terms with the idea that my fears really are simply that, rather than something actually wrong.

Yet despite this, I'm really struggling to get these fears under control. Ever since my grandfather had a heart attack several years ago, I've been absolutely convinced that I'm destined for one as well. Seeing him afterwards has left a very big scar upon me, and I'm certain that is where my fear stemmed from.

I know it's irrational. I've had the tests - ECG, Stress Test, Full blood work. I'm 26, which I know isn't an immunity to heart problems, but certainly lowers the risk factor. I have regular blood tests, and my only risk factors are weight and cholesterol, both of which I'm managing well. Four doctors have told me that I'm fine, and that I need to relax. I'm taking Duloxetine for anxiety, and have been attending CBT classes for three years.

Yet I lie awake every night, my chest pounding, my left arm and leg tingling or aching or going numb. I sweat and get light-headed, breathing becomes really difficult. My hands or feet get cold and lifeless, and I'm so weak it becomes a struggle to move. I can't sleep, barely eat, and seem unable to focus upon anything but my heart every living moment. I've been to A&E once, when a family member called an ambulance in a panic.

Does anybody else feel like this? How do you manage to come to terms with the idea that it's just anxiety?

skippy66
18-04-14, 09:55
A good mental exercise is to put yourself on your deathbed as an old man, then look back to when you were 26, young, healthy but anxious about something that might or might not (probably won't) happen.

If that doesn't scare you into actually living your life and not obsessing over your health 24/7, nothing will.