PDA

View Full Version : Where should I be after 6 months?

jayjoe18
20-04-14, 14:02
Wow, time flies! I've been on my medication for 6 months now... it only feels 2 minutes since I was scared to take the first tablet. Crazy.

Anyway, as the title says I'm beginning to wonder where I should be after the 6 month mark... how much improvement should I see, or how much improvement did others see in themselves?

I'm on Cipralex and it is working really well for me, I've acheived so much so far, from the big things; going on a long haul holiday, starting driving lessons to the small things; being more comfortable in social settings, going out more, being less nervous, going out alone and being able to actually just go to the supermarket without passing out!

But there is still anxiety and it is still hard work sometimes, I keep pushing myself... I know I will always have anxiety and I will always have to work hard at keeping myself well, I will have to keep pushing myself outside of my comfort zone. But, I just wonder, what should I be feeling like right now after 6 months, I know everyone is different, but as a general guide.. where should I be?

For example, as mentioned above I am managing driving lessons but I'm still having to do safety behaviours to be able to go to each of my lessons.

I've just had my 21st birthday and managed to have family around to the house, but I have a birthday meal next week with about 18 members of family which is making me nervous.

I have also wanted to get in contact with old school friends (as they have been asking about me and wanted to come round to see me) but I'm still too afraid.

So should I still feel this way? I know it takes time and there is no quick fix, but I am still only on my starting dose of 5mg... would increasing make me more comfortable and be able to do moreof the things that are still causing anxiety? Or do I just need to keep pushing myself and in time things will get easier with practice? Or should I do both?

I am really doing well, I can see huge improvements, but some things still seem so out of reach eg. having friends again, going back to college or getting a job. But I want all these things so badly!

Fishmanpa
20-04-14, 14:50
Hi JJ,

Unlike a physical illness where there are general time frames for healing (a broken bone for example), mental illness has no such parameters that you can gauge yourself against. Everyone is different in how they respond to medication, therapy etc.

From what you posted, you've made tremendous strides and should be very encouraged by your progress. When I looked back at your post history, it's very obvious just how far you've come. Perhaps taking a look back will offer you the same encouragement. I'd venture to say you're a very different person now :)

The things that seemed so far out of reach just a few short months ago are now in your grasp! The things that seem out of reach now are just a fingertip away. There is a true desire and inner strength that's driving you on the path to healing. Continue to do what you're doing. It's obvious it's working. Perhaps find some new tools to use to accelerate your progress. I know you were looking into CBT but circumstances threw it off course. Download the free CBT course here and look through it. There really are some good things in there. I've personally used some of the techniques to help me with my "scanxiety" and depression.

Keep up the good work... You're doing GREAT!

Positive thoughts

Zeitgeist
20-04-14, 15:33
Great to hear things are more positive for you.

In terms of increasing I thought I would share where I was as it sounds similar.

I started at 20 mg and went through all the challenging side effects, as these wore off I felt better, excited by what I was doing. But I had a nagging feeling that more was possible, that I was measuring against the baseline of my anxiety being really bad.

When the doc said how do I feel about going up further, I was in two minds, because I was relieved about not feeling my worst and didn't want to risk that. In the end I chose to increase as my curiosity won out. I am glad I did, I feel even better than I did, if a bit lethargic. Looking back I was part way through a journey, but happy that I had left the place that caused me pain, I hadn't yet reached the destination.

Everyone is different and this is just my experience, but for me the decision was made as I could not face not knowing if I could be even better.

jayjoe18
22-04-14, 18:11
Hi JJ,

Unlike a physical illness where there are general time frames for healing (a broken bone for example), mental illness has no such parameters that you can gauge yourself against. Everyone is different in how they respond to medication, therapy etc.

From what you posted, you've made tremendous strides and should be very encouraged by your progress. When I looked back at your post history, it's very obvious just how far you've come. Perhaps taking a look back will offer you the same encouragement. I'd venture to say you're a very different person now :)

The things that seemed so far out of reach just a few short months ago are now in your grasp! The things that seem out of reach now are just a fingertip away. There is a true desire and inner strength that's driving you on the path to healing. Continue to do what you're doing. It's obvious it's working. Perhaps find some new tools to use to accelerate your progress. I know you were looking into CBT but circumstances threw it off course. Download the free CBT course here and look through it. There really are some good things in there. I've personally used some of the techniques to help me with my "scanxiety" and depression.

Keep up the good work... You're doing GREAT!

Positive thoughts

Thank you Fishmanpa, especially for those kind words! That's really lovely to read! I just had a look back at my old posts and you're right, I have come a long way, you don't realise until you take a step back from everything. And considering it's only been six months... I guess I can't really ask for more.

It does take time, I've spent so many years consumed by anxiety of course it's going to take time. I just wish I would keep reminding myself of that, I think once you start getting better and getting a taste of normality you just expect everything to be normal again.

I don't think it helps that I always compare myself to people my age, people I used to know, early 20's is a very sociable age and I feel I'm missing out... I wan't to be able to enjoy things now but anxiety wise I'm not quite there yet.

I just need to be patient but I'm finding it so difficult :doh:

Great to hear things are more positive for you.

In terms of increasing I thought I would share where I was as it sounds similar.

I started at 20 mg and went through all the challenging side effects, as these wore off I felt better, excited by what I was doing. But I had a nagging feeling that more was possible, that I was measuring against the baseline of my anxiety being really bad.

When the doc said how do I feel about going up further, I was in two minds, because I was relieved about not feeling my worst and didn't want to risk that. In the end I chose to increase as my curiosity won out. I am glad I did, I feel even better than I did, if a bit lethargic. Looking back I was part way through a journey, but happy that I had left the place that caused me pain, I hadn't yet reached the destination.

Everyone is different and this is just my experience, but for me the decision was made as I could not face not knowing if I could be even better.

Thanks Zeitgeist for your reply, that sounds so much like me and where I'm at right now. I feel tonnes better and I'm so grateful, but what I'm able to do now is still only a small amount of what I want to be able to do in life. My progress is amazing though considering what I have been like in the past.. but I do still want more which I hope is where the increase would come in.

That's exactly my problem, I don't want to risk how I feel now... I'm scared of increasing and it making me feel worse instead of better. But I will never know unless I try, I'm just scared to take that risk... maybe I'll go speak to my doctor like you did