PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had help for hyperventilation ?

cloudbusting
22-04-14, 11:46
Hi all

I've been thinking for a time now that I don't breathe correctly. I have a large tummy and, like a lot of us I guess, I try and hold it in :D It has no muscle tone at all and, when I breathe, it seems to take in too much air unless I consciously stop it ... does any of this make sense ?

I did a bit of reading about it yesterday and saw that incorrect breathing can lead to panicky feelings, weakness and tingling in various parts of the Body AND the big one for me, skipped heartbeats !

I try and belly breathe now when I think about it but since reading all of this I realize how much I hold my breath when I talk and do other things. I sigh a lot, take great gulps of air and can't seem to get a 'full' breath very often.

I know that this is a physiological issue and doesn't really help with the psychology of anxiety but I just wondered if any of you had experience of this or any thoughts ?

Thanks

Lisa x

MyNameIsTerry
23-04-14, 08:44
Hi Lisa,

Correct breathing and posture are useful with anxiety. Your lungs will only take in what their capacity allows but if you have poor sitting posture you can prevent yourself from taking correct breaths.

So, you could bring on certain symptoms of anxiety or panic through incorrect breathing technique.

Ultimately, you can't consciously control your breathing all the time, its a subconscious function. Anxious people tend to notice their breathing more and try to control it. I have this problem although its not as bad now, but there comes a point where it does what it needs to and you may find yourself distracted and will no longer be manually breathing but the subconscious will take over SMS correctly regulate your oxygen intake.

If you want to work on your breath, or old friend Mindfulness meditation is useful because breathing is part of the induction process and you absently keep an eye on it throughout. You only take journal breaths in this since it had to be based on realistic conditions.

Look up Calming Technique which is a breathing exercise.

SarahH
23-04-14, 12:31
Oh without a doubt shallow breathing is part of the cycle of anxiety. I agree with all that MNIT says .......Mindfulness:D

Sarah