PDA

View Full Version : why am i being rejected by therapists?

chuchu
22-04-14, 17:12
I cannot believe what is happening to me... I went on to a counselling site or a site that shows counsellors in my area and two have rejected me!!! They havent got the time, I need open ended counselling blah blah blah.

So now I have to wait for NHS to get to the top of their list, the only good thing is in my area they dont let you wait any longer than THREE MONTHS oh the absolute joy!!!

You know as I do when you have accepted your anxiety you want to find a way to make it leave you, not for a month but forever who wants to have a monster creeping up behind you all the time.

Well it appears that the world is full of therapists and they are packed to the brim with clients and that shows that perhaps there are more anxious people in this world than I thought :scared15:

jayjoe18
22-04-14, 17:21
Sorry to hear that chuchu! The services available are in pretty poor supply, I agree, had to wait 8 months at one point, it's becoming quite ridiculous! It's a real shame that there isn't more options readily available for people who need it.

Hope you manage to get an appointment soon!

Rennie1989
22-04-14, 17:25
I'm sorry to hear that. You have to remember that counselling and therapy (in general) is not specifically used by people with anxiety. Some people get therapy to mend broken relationships, for example, and some use counselling to overcome difficult life obsticles, like parents divorcing or bereavement.

In hindsight it is better to wait for a counsellor to come up who can offer you their expertise and time for what you need them for, rather than using a counsellor who can't. The wait will be worth it.

chuchu
22-04-14, 18:58
my husband agrees with what you are both saying but more so with waiting for the right type of counsellor. When I went through the NHS they sent me to a lady who asked if I had been abused and I told her what had happened to me as a child and in my first marriage. She then said that I would need 20 sessions of CBT so she must know what she is talking about.

I have also been offered counselling for the mental and physical abuse I suffered from another source free of charge I think and I am going to see this service on Thursday.

Tomorrow I am attending a seminar on Anxiety and Panic which lasts for 2hrs and the lady from NHS told me it helps enormously to understand what is happening.

Fingers crossed for a good outcome!!!

MyNameIsTerry
23-04-14, 06:17
Which site did you use?

I ask because this sector is still not regulated so a counsellor/therapist could spend a couple of weeks doing online training and then set up a business but would have no real skills or ongoing supervision. There is a Bill of Parliament going through at the moment to regulate this.

Did you use the BACP register or look at BABCP?

hatsunemiku
23-04-14, 10:24
That's really annoying however it isn't the end, ALOT of my counsellors use the website 'getselfhelp.co.uk' and most of their print outs are from there. I know that it's not the same without someone to talk things through with however it'll be a start.
Another thing you can do is a free online course of CBT called 'MoodGYM', it really is great and very helpful!! Don't wait for a counsellor to begin your recovery because the power comes from within you and noone else can do it for you :) they can only help, goodluck!

chuchu
23-04-14, 12:12
That's really annoying however it isn't the end, ALOT of my counsellors use the website 'getselfhelp.co.uk' and most of their print outs are from there. I know that it's not the same without someone to talk things through with however it'll be a start.
Another thing you can do is a free online course of CBT called 'MoodGYM', it really is great and very helpful!! Don't wait for a counsellor to begin your recovery because the power comes from within you and noone else can do it for you :) they can only help, goodluck!

That is very sound advice I am going to go and look at the free online course of CBT and will let you know how I get on.

Thank you for caring :)

SarahH
23-04-14, 12:17
.so you are not being rejected by therapists... you are seeing someone this week? Or have I misunderstood what you are saying:huh:

sarah

chuchu
23-04-14, 14:45
.so you are not being rejected by therapists... you are seeing someone this week? Or have I misunderstood what you are saying:huh:

sarah

Yes I have been rejected by two private CBT counsellors.

I am on a waiting list with NHS but it could be 2 more months before I get to see anyone and I thought if I could do it privately I would not have to wait around but it appears that private counsellors want to give 6 sessions and I need 20 sessions and I also need counselling on the abuse I have suffered through my life.

Tonight I am going to a seminar for anxiety and panic disorders which the NHS are sending me on and I have been offered some free counselling from a wellfair board in my city.

My upset is that I was working out that I could pay for private CBT/counselling it would make a hole in my pocket but my health is far more important but it seems that the private counsellors are far too busy to fit me in and I dare not try to contact another for fear of another rejection. I might as well just wait for the NHS and pray the counsellor chosen for me is one I can speak to.