PDA

View Full Version : To everyone worried about cancer

Alice1
22-04-14, 17:16
This may sound counterproductive, and I would heed the warnings on the website and know if it's the right thing for you to do.
But I have found that after browsing the cancer research website and getting more and more panicky from all the statistics about lung cancer and survival rates etc, that after reading the section for people actually dying from cancer, I felt a million times better.
No, seriously.
I can't post links but if you go to the cancer research website-coping with cancer-dying section you'll be able to find a lot of literature.
Suddenly I knew what to expect if anything does happen, and now it doesn't seem scary but just something that can still be controlled even if it can't be cured.
I read it as though I was actually diagnosed (as so many of us who feel this way actually believe we unofficially are) and because it was written for people actually diagnosed, i.e so plainly and matter of fact and with a lot of compassion, it eased my worries completely.

Recently my main focus for feeling better has been to not think the worst of every situation, not in a way where the situation in itself isn't the worst it could possibly be (because it could), but that I had a belief that I wouldn't be able to cope with such a bad situation.
The human mind is extrememly powerful and a lot of anxiety can stem from thinking you're not able to cope and think clearly when you absoulty can. With anything.
Take care. x

pearl79
23-04-14, 20:04
I.have health anxiety, ive had it for about 7 years, its debilitating and made my life unbearable. Im 34 and have the children, 14 6 and 4. The.youngest having a genetic tumor condition.
In the past i.have worried.and fretted, been to.docs up to 3-4 times a week, diagnosed myself with every type of.cancer you can think.of. Anxiety attacks, panick attacks, slepless night, anxious mornings. You name it.ive done.it.
Well, as i.got.to.my worst in all.this time, ive been told i have a cancerous.tumor in my ovary, caught early but.nevertheless, its still the big frightening c, and.you.know, its not as frightenimg as i.ever.thought. Yes.you worry.amd.you get.nervous, but when it actually come.to it, you deal with it better. And i must say its a releif to have broken the anxiety cycle i was in. Xxx

cattia
23-04-14, 20:08
Very inspiring thank you both. I have a MASSIVE cancer fear. I know someone who has been through breast cancer treatment recently and I have followed her blog. I have to say it has helped a lot to demystify the diagnosis and treatment process. However ultimately I am terrified of dying, especially leaving my two small children and that is the thing that I can't get past.

Mrschurchill
23-04-14, 20:14
Cancer is by a country mile my biggest fear. My FIL stopped chemo yesterday as he is too weak now. I see him struggling and can't comprehend what he is going through :( xx

Jabberwoxx
23-04-14, 21:16
I think somebody suffering from cancer would undergo a rollercoaster of emotions, from fear to depression to relief to sadness to happiness. Although the treatments and pain are horrific, I think people with cancer meet so many people on the way, bond with others, and gain a different perspective on life entirely. It must be an incredible upheaval to undergo, but as you said, the human brain can take on so much.

I think also people instantly equate cancer with death. Cancer need not necessarily indicate a death sentence.

bulan
23-04-14, 21:23
I'm a member of the cancer phobia club too. It's everywhere, it seems. Strangely, my Dad was diagnosed with early onset dementia, and I'm not afraid of it. Just cancer... Which no one in my family under 65 has ever had. My fear seems far-fetched, yet I can't quit imagining cancer growing undetected. It's stressful.