PDA

View Full Version : pregabalin - my experience

somerandom
23-04-14, 00:28
Hi People!

I just wanted to share my experience with pregabalin in the hopes that it may help others also suffering from anxiety.

First of all I have OCD, GAD & Cyclothymic mood disorder and have been put on enough medication to make a chemists very happy. I'm currently on pregabalin, venlafaxine and diazepam (as required).

I first started taking pregabalin just over 18 months back, currently on 450mg per day and for my anxiety it has been, as much as I hate to use the phrase, a wonder drug.

The first couple of weeks are awful - dizziness (like you've drank too much), a bit spaced out and for me even a bit euphoric which wasn't entirely unwelcome to be honest! Fatigue on this med sucks bad and it's the only side effect still kicking me although it is much improved over the start of the med.

And it's changed my anxiety massively. Within a few days it felt as though a massive burden had been lifted off my shoulders. I left my home more, I spoke to people I didn't know with confidence and a massive step was that I was able to walk around a very busy shopping centre and stay calm about it. Whilst I still struggle with other problems, my anxiety is under control and aside from a few occasional blips (hence the diazepam) it really has made a massive, positive difference to my life.

If you've tried almost everything without success, it's worth considering as I know that I certainly would still be suffering without this medication.

SADnomore
23-04-14, 05:10
Hi, there! Wow! So glad to hear of your positive experience with pregabalin! I am on venlaxafine, too, nothing else atm. But I have considered pregabalin among others for anxiety IF I find it uncomfortable when I titrate up the ven next winter. I did have some physical anxiety symptoms at start-up, which I am so glad I rode out. That said, for comfort's sake at the higher doses I may need something to help with it next time, if I am on the higher dose for months. I am not overly worrying, I just like to be prepared, you know? So I appreciate this very much!
SO glad it has worked for your anxiety, which can be so tough to resolve, as you say. Might be worth a try for sure, especially as I can't take benzos. :P Lol!
Marie :hugs:

SarahH
23-04-14, 11:45
Welcome to NMP. It's great to hear you are having success with Pregabalin. It was a wonderdrug for me too. It got me out of a big hole. Unfortunately it started to wear off after about 10months so I went back to Citalopram. I am now tapering off Pregabalin.

Good luck... there are some on here that have found long term use beneficial too.

Sarah

hanshan
23-04-14, 12:00
I've been on pregabalin for three years or so now and it continues to work for me. I had a positive response from day one - I don't want to go back to how things were before that.

That said, there are side effects, some continuing, and it doesn't stop all anxiety. Nevertheless, on balance, I wouldn't be without it.

Corona89
24-04-14, 03:36
I got prescribed this for the nerve pain from my spine problems. On day two and can't stop smiling on it. Felt like i had more energy and also got the kind drunk/stoned feeling.

It's not helped the pain much but has helped my depression and the euphoria feelings kinda make you forget about the pain for a few minutes which is good. I'm on sertraline 150mg a day for that, and i've started on 150mg a day pregablin. Also on co codomol for the pain.

Only thing that worries me is i'm being redeployed soon and don't feel i'd be a good employee all doped up on meds!

hanshan
25-04-14, 12:25
Hi Corona89,

I don't know if this is good news or bad news. The euphoric feelings from pregabalin some people experience usually fade after a few days. Also the slightly drugged feeling, but maybe a bit slower. It usually works for anxiety, not depression, but if you feel it's having a beneficial effect for you, don't worry about the names.

somerandom
25-04-14, 13:32
Corona89,
In my experience the euphoric feeling faded away after a few days with the drugged feeling disappearing within a couple of weeks. The fatigue is something that hasn't faded away completely and my nighttime dose usually knocks me out within an hour of taking it as my eyes literally don't stay open! I've found that missing a night dose completely wrecks a decent nights sleep so it helps me there as well although I'm not sure that's an intended effect.

Sertraline on the other hand is possibly the worst thing I've ever taken. Within days of starting the medication it triggered a hypomanic episode which nearly saw me sectioned as my mood skyrocketed. According to my psychiatrist it's the worst way to discover a previously unknown bipolar spectrum disorder and I can't say it was a fun experience.

Venlafaxine meanwhile has helped somewhat with my OCD.

Corona89
30-04-14, 13:07
Corona89,
In my experience the euphoric feeling faded away after a few days with the drugged feeling disappearing within a couple of weeks. The fatigue is something that hasn't faded away completely and my nighttime dose usually knocks me out within an hour of taking it as my eyes literally don't stay open! I've found that missing a night dose completely wrecks a decent nights sleep so it helps me there as well although I'm not sure that's an intended effect.

Sertraline on the other hand is possibly the worst thing I've ever taken. Within days of starting the medication it triggered a hypomanic episode which nearly saw me sectioned as my mood skyrocketed. According to my psychiatrist it's the worst way to discover a previously unknown bipolar spectrum disorder and I can't say it was a fun experience.

Venlafaxine meanwhile has helped somewhat with my OCD.

Sertraline gave me no side effects. Citalopram was the devil though, stopped that after a few days.