PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety causing pain or ultrasound missed something?

Aussie11
23-04-14, 05:28
I posted recently about my health anxiety playing up again, and this time it being focused on pancreas symptoms. I've had endoscopy, colonoscopy, 2 ultrasounds and 2 lots of full blood tests and all have come back fine. I accepted it after the second scan that it must be stress causing my upper abdominal pain and back pain and indigestion, and the pain seemed better for about 3 days. Then it's back again worse than ever. It keeps me awake at night, it's like a gnawing ache on left side and middle of upper abdominal and lots of pain along my spine and aching into back.

I'm wondering if there was a tumour in my pancreas or something what is likelihood that it wouldn't show on scan or that something wouldn't be off with the blood tests?

I don't know what to do next. Seeing doctor again today for some more reassurance, but can't help wanting to ask for a CT or MRI scan which are apparently more accurate for this sort of thing. If she reassures me nothing could have been missed, I'm thinking of asking to go on anti anxiety medication as this is getting ridiculous!

blueangel
23-04-14, 09:49
Hi there

It's **extremely unlikely** that this battery of tests will have missed anything vital. When we're anxious, we constantly look for reassurance, and we always think that "just one more test" or "just one more doctor's appointment" will be the one that sorts it out. But it doesn't work like that and you have to find ways of getting away from the need for reassurance.

If I were you, I would talk to the doctor about how to deal with the anxiety, as I think that's the most important thing for you at the moment.

Fishmanpa
23-04-14, 12:42
I've had endoscopy, colonoscopy, 2 ultrasounds and 2 lots of full blood tests and all have come back fine.

I would say you're physically fine too. Definitely speak to your doctor, but not about further tests. Ask about counseling, CBT, meds or a combination thereof.

Positive thoughts

Darren1
23-04-14, 16:21
Aussie out of all those tests SOMETHING would have shown up.

I spent £200 on a private MRI and it was a waste of money. I should have trusted the NHS CT Scan!

Aussie11
25-04-14, 11:51
Thanks for the replies. I went back to dr and they think its all caused by anxiety but as I've now got bad pain radiating into my back they are sending me for mri of spine in case there's anything spine related and actually causing the abdominal pain. I'm still worried about pancreas but they think I'm mad as 2 ultrasounds have been fine. I wish I could accept that, it's just that my symptoms don't seem to fit anything except pancreas related! If all is clear on the mri I think I need to go on anti anxiety meds (already seeing psychologist about anxiety anyway)

pepperutchie
25-04-14, 12:15
Hi i can relate to this post cause ive been experiencing this pAin for about a month now but mostly on my right abdominal side up to my back ,and i will have an mri on sunday it really is worrying me for i already is in medication for pain and also received this pAin killer shot and it helps alitle.still i have this pain