PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to come off fluoxetine

lee123
23-04-14, 17:00
Hi,

I have been on fluoxetine for over a year now been on 20mg then bump up to 40mg. I was still having panic attacks and that was the main reason I was feeling down. I decided I wanted to come off the medication and I have dropped from 40mg to 20mg but I'm started to get the really bad side effects like when you first start fluoxetine the nausea the dry throat the panic the really bad depression.

I don't know what to do just stick it out slowly come off the medication and this is just my body have some withdrawal from the medication or go back up to 40mgs?

I've been put on beta blockers to try help with my panic attacks but don't really think they are effective either.

---------- Post added at 15:57 ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 ----------

Any advice would be great because I am really struggling I can't cope no more suicidal thoughts have came in my head..

---------- Post added at 17:00 ---------- Previous post was at 15:57 ----------

I believe i have had a really bad relapse from dropping the dose and my body isnt ready for it so going to go back to 40mg and stick with that for now and try find some sort of answer to stop my panic attacks

SADnomore
23-04-14, 17:45
Hi, Lee, So sorry you're having such a struggle atm! Firstly, please, please go to your doctor immediately or go to hospital and report the suicidal feelings. This is always indicated for any medication as imperative when this happens. Do not stop taking your med, just go in and get further treatment. Secondly, I don't think we can say it too often: please resist the temptation to adjust your own dosaging without your doctor's knowledge and assistance. If you want to come off fluoxetine, a gradual reduction and slow withdrawal are in order, so you don't suffer withdrawal symptoms nearly as much. There is a protocol to be followed. Your doctor has that. They can give you something to help with the panic, and get you feeling better quickly. So glad you came online to talk, please get help right now, and come back and let us know how it goes, okay?
Marie xx