PDA

View Full Version : Blind panic about blood results

panacea
23-04-14, 14:50
I had a blood test a week ago (investigations for lower abdo pains) and phoned for the result today. The receptionist said that I was to make a non-urgent appt to see the doctor. She said it was nothing to worry about.

Im in a panic now? My initial examination by the doctor was inconclusive and she thought it might be IBS or constipation. I am in turmoil now and my imagination is running wild. Help.

HoneyLove
23-04-14, 15:16
They key is in the fact that she said it's a non urgent appointment. Your doctor probably just wants to talk to you about the results, it's nothing to worry over, if it was anything urgent they would call you.

MRS STRESS ED
23-04-14, 15:23
I had a blood test a week ago (investigations for lower abdo pains) and phoned for the result today. The receptionist said that I was to make a non-urgent appt to see the doctor. She said it was nothing to worry about.

Im in a panic now? My initial examination by the doctor was inconclusive and she thought it might be IBS or constipation. I am in turmoil now and my imagination is running wild. Help.

You have answered your own question non urgent if it was urgent they would have you in today dont worry honest xx

Darren1
23-04-14, 15:28

When this happened to me I also paniced and demanded a telephone consultation.

Mine ended up being high iron which they retested 2 months later and then it was still high. They have done nothing since!

panacea
23-04-14, 15:45
Thank you for your swift responses. I'm trying to remain calm. There's no such thing as 'non-urgent' in the mind of a worrier.

RoseEve
23-04-14, 16:08
I agree I would be in a tailspin. Call and demand to speak to the doctor. If she told you not to worry it's not serious it could be a vitamin deficiency or something you need to change about your diet.

Fishmanpa
23-04-14, 17:00
I disagree with demanding a phone consultation. There comes a time where one must, despite their anxiety, take what is said at face value and accept it. I get my blood work done regularly due to my health issues. They are discussed at my appointment with the doctor a week later. If something needs immediate attention, it's taken care of "immediately".

"non-urgent": not compelling or requiring immediate action or attention; not imperative or pressing: not an urgent matter.

Positive thoughts

j2
23-04-14, 17:49
I am not sure how it works in the UK, but here in the US, I have had lots of blood tests and have always been told to make an appt to discuss the results even when results are normal.

Good luck