PDA

View Full Version : hey there

elanna
05-12-06, 08:16
hi everyone. I am new to the forum.

i suffered from panic attacks in my teens. they were very bad. on average about 3 a day with insomnia, weight loss etc. i finally had enough of them when i reached 20 and got hypnotised to stop them. it worked. I haven't had an attack for the last number of years until recently. thats not to say i wouldn't have felt anxious during those years lets say if i had to fly on a plane somewhere etc but never had an attack.

lately, i've been waking up with a high level of anxiety every morning. general things like being stuck in traffic, waiting in a queue, going to the supermarket etc are literally freaking me out now. previously it would only have been doing things like flying etc. So this side of anxiety is a new facet of my panic attacks for me.

I have several things going on at the moment that are stressing me out. I have made an appointment with a lady who works with paul Mckenna in order to see if hypnosis and counselling will help. however she can only see me on friday and unfortunately i have very important exams coming up starting on saturday and don't know how i'm going to sit them with how anxious i am. 2 hours in a room where i can't get up and leave without someone following me out (to check i'm not trying to cheat my exam!) thats all i need is someone staring at me while i'm having an attack!

any suggestions??[V]

jo61
05-12-06, 08:19
It might be worth going to the appointment on Friday anyway, just to see if she can help for Saturday.

Jo

elanna
05-12-06, 08:21
hi jo, yeah i fully intend on going. but i'd say i'll need to see her a few times before i start feeling the benefit.

my docotr only gives me medication to calm me down for travelling abroad. he hates giving me anyhting the rest of the time. But i will have to get something this time. I feel bad for asking him! feel like a 5 yr old!

jo61
05-12-06, 08:23
Your fears are very real, don't be fobbed off and don't be scared to get some medication to get you through your exams. You can deal with the real issues once you have the anxiety of the exams out of the way. Where in Ireland are you? I'm from Dublin but in UK since 1987

Jo

999madmax
05-12-06, 08:45
Hi Elanna,
Welcome to the forum.
Most of your syptoms are very similar to mine, Its really hard to cope with day by day issues!
Being busy is always the best way to cope, though it is annoying when you get anxious with appointments. Its is good that you are getting the help to cope with your issues, but can be very stressful!
Hope they go well, and of course your exams! LOL
It is hard to suggest things for you as you have already got help better than me at the moment. One day at a time, Slowly but surely it will get better!!!

LOL
Madmax
-*-

elanna
05-12-06, 08:54
well i'm totally determined not to let them control me again. they practically ruined my life before. They are NOT going to win. but i'm not used to the general anxiety stuff i have to say.

hopefully the exams will go ok. the other thing is my bf and I broke up yesterday and there are also some family issues going on. just alot on my mind and i can't seem to relax for 2 minutes.

why have you not gotten as much help as me then???

999madmax
05-12-06, 13:27
Hi Elanna,
Nah, ive only got an OT worker and hopefully soon a Dr at Mental Health Team. No MEDS. Just me on a day to day basis!!
Tough but i get by most days! I have to.. TeHe...
Just been in the pub with my friend and really enjoyed the company, just a shame it had to end as i have another app with my Support Worker shortly.
Any help is a bonus..[Yeah!]
Take Care Now...

LOL
Madmax
-*-

airwolf451
05-12-06, 14:27
HIya allana

what your feeling is just fear , and it cant harm you, you have thepower to control this with in you and i know it can be very hard, but you a havea strong inner strenght, and you will fly through your exam and pass with flying colours,

just remember that its only anx and the more you fight it the worse it gets, at home tonight if it comes on you, try just sitting withit and let it run its course and you will se that it will excuse the expression get bored and die away,

also we are all here to help and we have been there and some of us still are, welcome to the family

BIG HUGS FROM ALL OF US :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

manmoor
05-12-06, 15:10
Hi Elanna,

A big warm welcome to you.

Take Care

Mandyxx

elanna
05-12-06, 17:28
AWW thanks guys!![:I]

yeah i will try those exam relaxing things! its not so much the exam i like doing them, it's the been stuck in a room for 2 hours not being able to leave without a)failing my exams or b)not being able to leave without making a scene or someone following me!

the breathing thin works majority of the time but when it gets bad i don't have the presence of mind to count my breaths