PDA

View Full Version : Help stop my panic attacks!?

lee123
23-04-14, 17:05
Hi,

I was just curious at what medication or remedies people have been using for panic attacks? It has got to a point now where i worry about panic attacks which set off panic attacks its a vicious circle i get dry throat, lose control of my breath and vomit.

As silly as it sounds they have only been happening when i go on dates, or meet up with girls or even text them which I believe is due to past experiences.

I have been getting really depressed and I am on fluoxetine and that seems to help my depression but the reason I get depressed is due to my anxiety and panic attacks.

Any advice would be wonderful!

xrachykinsx
23-04-14, 17:24
I understand the problem you have. I too suffered depression because of panic attacks and anxiety. I am on Mirtazapine and I haven't had a panic attack since I took my first tablet. Have you looked into and researched about panic attacks? sometimes understanding what is happening, the fact it will pass, and exactly why it happens can help you deal with them. xxx

Sarahandduck
23-04-14, 17:28
What about counselling? Is it just women in general? Talk to your gp about your anxiety maybe they can give you something else to help?

lee123
23-04-14, 17:33
I have had some sort of counselling before and understand how panic attacks work but still struggle to control them :/ it's women who I find attractive that I start talking too and getting close too that starts my panic attacks due to previous relationships, self esteem and confidence. Just was hoping there would be something that could take the edge away...

Sarahandduck
23-04-14, 17:38
Speak to your gp I got prescribed diazepam for my anxiety and I have been suffering panic attacks I have never suffered them like that before and my fiancé helps me with my breathing when I have an attack.

xrachykinsx
23-04-14, 17:39
Have you had CBT as opposed to counselling? You've pointed out that it's a self esteem and confidence thing. Totally understand, but perhaps CBT in particular may be helpful? Diazepam is helpful for extreme anxiety, but I was always reluctant because of how addictive it would be to take them xx

lee123
23-04-14, 18:14
I understand the focus on cbt I'm thinking about trying it out again just last time it just felt like I was at school getting workbook after workbook and wasn't doing me any good.

I don't want to try that diazepam cause it sounds like a very addictive drug, I might just try up my dose on my beta blockers. It's the just the vomiting dry mouth nausea that really gets to me it's unbearable.

Been lowering my dose of fluoxetine to 20mg from 40mg for a week because I thought I was doing fine but all my symptoms have came back don't know if it was just withdrawal or i wasn't ready so gone back to 40mg hope I'm back to myself very very soon!

---------- Post added at 18:14 ---------- Previous post was at 18:13 ----------

End of the day I just want to feel normal drug free no fluoxetine no beta blockers no panic attacks :((

xrachykinsx
23-04-14, 18:38
The idealistic way is to not take ANY medication. I think that's what everyone wants. No-one wants to feel the way they do. But you have to be realistic and if you need to take medication to help you then so be it...it doesn't mean forever. It's easy to get put off medication when we have a bad experience on one.

I'll be totally honest with you, I've been a real stubborn little bitch when it came to accepting help. I had a breakdown last October due to life stresses since having my son at only 19. I thought I could beat it myself, I tried vitamins, literally everything I could think of (I could now open my own little vitamin shop with how much I have in my cupboard!) lol and it took me ages to just accept, I was going to need a little help to get me back on track. I would probably be interested in checking out another medication if I was you, because you need to cure the root of the problem- the anxiety... It's tough babe, we all know how hard it is, but you can do it :) xx

lee123
23-04-14, 18:59
I'm just so lost I don't know what to do :( I've tried loads of solutions over the past two years nothings worked. I don't feel like the doctor really understands just thinks ah he's just got anxiety il give him fluoxetine. I don't even think my family truly understand no one does just don't feel normal and don't feel like there is a way out of my anxiety and panic attacks and depression and arghhhhhh

I really so appreciate the replies so much thank you!

xrachykinsx
23-04-14, 19:27
It's hard for someone that has never experienced depression/panic attacks and anxiety to understand it at all. My husband has no idea how tough it is, but that's fine...why should he know, he's never suffered.

I think to a degree, you have to become accepting of how you are, you don't have to like it, but you need to just accept that you're not very well, it's okay, it's just a tiny part of your life and it will get better. I think you should give CBT another go, but go in open minded willing to face upto the fears. The more you fear your anxiety, the longer it remains. It takes practice to accept it but it really does help.

My antidepressants have completley vanished my panic attacks, I still struggle with some anxiety here and there, but I am learning to accept and carry on with life regardless. I might not feel very good somedays, but I still do what I'd normally do if I didn't have anxiety..I go to the cafe I arranged to meet friends at, I take my son to the park, I do the housework.. You need to be kind to yourself. I'm 14weeks into my medication and starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, I'm by no means out of the woods yet, but it's promising and a biggest part of that..was acceptance xx

lee123
23-04-14, 19:41
I really think I need to try some new medication but im really scared to come off my fluoxetine cause the side effects are horrible and will set me back loads!

I am going to ring up try set up some cbt aswell and go in full force :) Going to ring the doctors tomorrow to make an appointment aswell to have another chat!

xrachykinsx
23-04-14, 19:46
Good idea :) Think of the positives of coming off of fluoxetine and starting something else though. It might be a bit bumpy initially..but it will be worth it won't it? Especially if it gets you in a better place anxiety wise...means you can start to tackle the issues head on. I think the last bit of anxiety I have is all something I have to work on myself. Getting back to work will help massively. I've been a stay at home mum for the past 3years...very isolating, and has knocked my confidence xx

lee123
23-04-14, 19:58
Even just reducing the dose to 20mg made me get the side effects back and I hate them so went back to 40mg :( would just love some medication that would go along with that would stop my panic attacks the dry throat the vomiting the loss of control!

xrachykinsx
23-04-14, 19:59
Perhaps mention that to your doctor then. Ask if it's possible to have another medication alongside and see what he/she says? xx

lee123
23-04-14, 20:08
That is what I am hopefully going to do when i ring the doctors tomorrow :) downloaded these workbooks to help with panic attacks so going to have a read through them just want to get back on track be happy i am only 22 no kids still live at home no bills got a job no money worries yet this is setting me back loads, i hate change, been let down in previous relationships which has really effected me. My mams a worrier so its brought it on to me its just all built up overtime and eaten away at me! xx

xrachykinsx
23-04-14, 20:10
You will be happy again :) You have so much life to live! I'm 22, married and have a little boy with millions of bills to pay! lol Good luck tomorrow xx

Sarahandduck
23-04-14, 21:26
Hi again,

It will get better for you, I was in such a state this mornin that it was in fact my worst day so far and now I feel like I'm nearly myself not sure if it was due to talking to the crisis team lady or having diazepam earlier then having a nap but I'm feeling the best i have felt in nearly a week.

You are not alone ok we have all gone through the same and it WILL get better trust me I would never of said that this mornin I was in such a state. I too was on fluoxetine then I got changed to citarpram late last year due to the doctor telling me flux was not good for anxiety so changed me and it only took a few days to work just for some reason this time being upped from 20-40 it's gonna take 2-3 weeks to kick in. To me I would rather take these tablets for the rest of my life as long as I never have to feel this sadness ever again and I know some people prefer to not take meds but they are there for a reason and with you lowering your dose your should always talk to a doctor about that never just do it yourself let them assess you to check that you are up for it as it takes so long to get them fully in your system again.

And try a different doctor when you call tomorrow get someone else's opinion.

Cheesemonster13
24-04-14, 08:50
I'm the same as you, taking Fluoxetine for my depression, but no other meds. Luckily it gets me to the point where I can start dealing with my anxiety and panic attacks, which are still occurring.

It isn't silly to feel anxious or have panic attacks when you are in that kind of situation; many people would agree that dating is stressful. You are out there dealing with something you find frightening, rather than avoiding it - that's courageous.

I'm guessing you are worried about taking too many prescribed drugs and the possible side-effects.

lee123
24-04-14, 10:07
Hi all!

Rang the doctors today they said I did the right thing to go back to my original dose as my body doesn't seem ready for the drop. They have also upped my beta blockers but tbh I don't feel like they will do anything. Beta blockers are meant to be taken in certain situations but I'm always feel anxious and weary of a panic attack would love a medication that would just stop me from having panic attacks being sick and stop me from being anxious. I know it's my body just doing the fight or flight scenario but no one seems to have a sure fix for it :/

I'm off work again today feeling so emotional and down just feeling like giving up and that I'm back to square one, not good.

xrachykinsx
24-04-14, 11:23
Glad you rang doctors and got some reassurance. It's a shame your medication doesn't stop panic attacks. My antidepressants do, haven't had one since my first tablet xx