PDA

View Full Version : hello i'm new!!

chubsy2
31-07-04, 14:43
Hello, I just found this site today and am very pleased with what its for as last saturday I had my first panic attack and I didnt know what was happening. It just happened while I was doing normal everyday things indoors ( which was lucky) I got this awful feeling and my heart was racing, thumping ever so fast, sweating, trembling and felt quite dizzy. My daughters helped me in a chair and gave me a drink of water and eventually I calmed down, but it was so awaful it felt as if I couldnt breathe. I thought I was having a heart attack which I know now is a common thought since reading the postings. I took the rest of the day fairly easy and was ok the next day. But when I went out to the shops the ddy after I felt quite bad again although not to the extent as the 2 days previous. As I was alone I tried to make myself breath normally and stood a while albiet shakily and eventually walked put of the shop and got to my car where i felt safe, and was calmer. I got home and told my husband and the next day we went to the doctor who has prescribed me with Lustral (sertraline) and asked me to come back in 2 weeks. I dont feel any change as yet although I suppose it takes time and I am afraid to go out alone in case it happens again. My sister told me she has suffered from panic attakes for the past 10 years and 2 of my aunts do as well (which I didnt know about as we live a great distance away )My sister is on tablets which she must take as well. I wondered if it was genetic and do you think it will lead to alzheimers as my mum had this but not panic attacks. I am sorry if I sound silly for asking but I cant help wondering.

nomorepanic
31-07-04, 18:04
Hiya Corgiee

Welcome to the site. You will get loads of support on here so you came to the right place.

Panic attacks are very scary and do take some getting used to but I am surprised that the doc put you on Lustral straight away - took them 2 years to prescribe anything for me.

Has he suggested any sort of counselling or do you feel that you do not need that at the moment?

Most meds take a few weeks to kick in so stick with it ok?

I am not sure about the genetic thing - my dad was a nervous person so there may be some truth in it. I don't think that will lead to alzheimers though.

I hope you get some answers on here so keep posting ok and read some of the other posts. Use the serach facility at the very top of the page and search for Lustral and you will see other posts about it.

Nicola

Meg
31-07-04, 19:23
Hi Corgiee,

There is a genetic element . 18 % of patients have relatives with similar issues . 60 % have at least one relative with it given the right circumstances and environment.

Please check out First Steps for initial help and advice
First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

Everything you describe are textbook symptoms.

I am afraid to go out alone in case it happens again This is the worst thing you can do .. You have already been out alone , had some symptoms and coped beautifully. Do not stop doing things alone or agoraphobia will set in .

Lustral may take 3-4 weeks to kick in . Remember though that this drug will not cure you - it will mask the symptoms so you need to figure out what started you off. It is unlikly that they are completely unprovoked.

Did your GP do any blood tests ?

It is not linked to Alzheimers.

take care

Let us know how you're doing .

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch

seh1980
18-08-04, 17:52
hello there,

Welcome to the site!! We have all been in that position where you have just had your first panic attack and are very scared so don't worry!! You have done very well by going out alone already - it took me ages to do that and I still feel uncomfortable sometimes when I'm alone. Good luck with everything and let us know how you're getting on. Take care.

Sarah (seh1980)

Caz Fab Pants
18-08-04, 21:56
Hi,

Glad you found us and hope you find all the information on here useful. You've definitely come to the right place judging by what you've described.

I hope you carry on with the outings as Meg said, it is very easy to get into a rut and before you know it you're heading towards agoraphobia.

I too am on Lustral and find it takes the edge off the panic and helps a great deal with anxiety.

Take care
Caroline :)
x

meesey
19-08-04, 03:14
Hi Corgiee,
I am sorry you have had the displeasure of suffering with panic attacks, i have had them for 6 years on and off, with them recently returning to what feels worse than ever, but i know i have been through this before and they will subside again and i will learn to control them again. I am new to this site too, i found it about 2 weeks ago, and i can assure you it is become very helpful to me, not only reading the posts from the other members which makes me feel like i am not alone, but the chatroom which helps to talk about how we are all feeling, i have also in the short time of being a member of this room, made a couple of real good freinds which i am sure you will do also, they are very supportive.. Hope you feel better real soon, i am sure you will, take care..Paul

chubsy2
20-08-04, 14:34
Hi everyone! Thank you for the response-I didnt think anyone would notice me! I went back to my doctor after the 2 week course of Lustral 50mg and he put me on 100mg and I have to go back on this coming Mondayfor another visit. I didnt really notice any difference while being on the first lot of tablets and since going through the 2nd week I have felt very nervy just like before I took them. Maybe they are the side effects that it says on the leaflet but I cant understand why they would make me feel like this if this is the reason I went to the doctor. I was wondering if he had given me the wrong tablets but having read some more about the tablets on the net I now know this is to be expected and that they take a while to actually work. I havent been out on my own since the visit to the doctor (he's at the end of my road which is a great help) as I told him I am ok if I get in my car and I know someone is there at the other end of my journey or if I have company but if I know theres no one about to help me then I get worried in case I have an attack. Maybe this is why he gave me stronger pills. I dont feel much calmer though, I take them everyday at the same time. This morning I was a bit nervy and I knew I didnt have to go anywhere! I feel that my family think I am making things up when I say I feel nervy etc as they cant see how I actually feel if you understand what I am trying to say. My daughter who is 17 helps me by coming out if we need shopping, but even though my husband came to the doctor the first time I went, I think he thinks that one course of tablets is enough and I shouldnt have another attack, as when I said I had to go to the doctors for the 2nd visit he said but you been ok the past few days, and I did tel him its because I am taking the tablets! And I explained to him that its not something that can be overcome overnight. I told him my sister has been on tablets for panic attacks for the last 11 years. He seemed ok with this but I cant help feeling like he doesnt understand. Anyway sorry to go on and moan ! Better to vent than to build up I spose as they say.

Thankyou for listening. Shirley.x

Meg
20-08-04, 16:12
Hi Shirley,

I now know this is to be expected and that they take a while to actually work

About 3-5 weeks usually. They can make you more nervous initially but this then subsides.

Do now start to take short walks alone or habits will be formed and take ages to then break .

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch

chubsy2
23-08-04, 19:35
HI everyone, just thought I would come in and let you know how my drs visit went today. I told him I was feeling more nervy since about 4 days ago (I have since read megs posting and know its normal now) and had to show him how nervy I was by showing him my hands which were quite shaky at the time as it seems to occur after about 2 hours of taking the lustral . He's given me another 2 weeks supply of lustral 100mg and also 2 weeks supply of zopiclone which he said would relax me and to take them at night. I have to report back to him in 2 weeks.
I asked him what effect i should expect and he said that I should be feeling normal, no nerviness or panicking, and the other tablets would make me relax more.I had to ask as I didnt know if they were to put me on a high or what!! Anyhow I will be back to read postings and reading some more of your wonderful help .
Shirley xx