PDA

View Full Version : paroxetine

jackie robbo
05-12-06, 15:30
hi all,doctor has just given me these paroxetine 20 mg is anyone taken these,if so did you feel ok i also take 75mg ampitriptline{spelt wrong]i hate taking something new i think i talk myself into the side affects most of the time

kazzie
05-12-06, 18:18
Hi

I took paroxatine for some time and it helped big time with the panic etc but coming off them was hell on earth!!

That said everyone is different and I dont want to alarm you!!!

Best Wishes

Kaz x

BillySpans
05-12-06, 19:53
Hello.

I took paxil for years and it was "the wonder drug". Things went well for 8 years or so with it, no side effects, but best of all no panic! Unfortunately I have to agree that coming off of it was difficult.

Best Of Luck,

Mike

jackie robbo
05-12-06, 20:32
thanks for your advice,i have looked this drug up and im not going to take it,ok it may help in the short term its the comming off it that scares me,why is it with drugs like these make you feel worse before you feel better,i feel as if im only just hanging in there at the moment without any more feelings

mooks
06-12-06, 00:00
hi there
ive been on/off for 10 years....it saved me..yet now i have to switch to a newer drug as its no longer helping...it takes time to work and may make you feel worse to start...but stick with it...its famous for being hard to get off BUT it did help me for a long time xxx

squirrel
06-12-06, 00:39
Just two words to say about paroxetine, STEER CLEAR!!!!!!

otis
06-12-06, 09:21
Hi there -seroxat was my life saver for 7 years. I was fine on it, but it started to wear off. I decided to come off it as i no longer felt i needed it as it wasnt doing much anyway. Now sroxat is my hell on earth. I am in the process of coming off it. I was on 20mg and now i'm on 6mg and probably wont be off it for a good few months yet. the withdrawal feels like it is literally killing me at the moment!! I need to get off it as i want to start a family.

Please seek better alternatives if you can.

Otis x

mooks
06-12-06, 10:02
hi again

please dont be scared by mails..seroxat is a quite an old ssri now and many docs dont issue it anymore as it has got withdrawel issues due to short shelf life...
i would say if i had my time again..perhaps a different one...coz of the symptoms...if youve just started it i would go back to your doc and ask for a newer one...just purely as they are available to you xxxx

jackie robbo
06-12-06, 11:55
hiya thanks for all the advice,otis hope you feel better soon,thats what scares me commimg off them as i know meds are just like putting a plaster on a cut,its just covering the problems but god do they help,ampitriptline helps me on a night its trying to get thruogh the day thats hard at the moment,i keep telling myself i will feel better tomorrow,its just not happening at the moment

otis
06-12-06, 12:46
Hi again

Seriously, if you need medication then so be it. It does not make you a weak person. If it wasnt for wanting a baby i would still be on seroxat and wouldnt be any of the wiser regarding withdrawal. Seroxat worked for me and i liked it. Literally the only reason for coming off it os to have a bay. But i am sure there is a better drug that when you do want to come off it, it isnt as bad as seroxat is posing for me xx

otis x

Cassie
06-12-06, 23:09
Hi There

I took Paroxetine for 6 years and have to say it worked wonders for my anxiety it was like a miracle and i was able to be the person i felt i always had been bar the anxiety.

There is a lot of negative information on the net about this drug and there is no smoke without fire. Saying that not everyone will experience the negative withdrawal effects and people seldom seek out these kinds of boards etc when they are feeling well or to say anything good about a drug.

I would however consider a different SSRI and if you have no success then the Paroxetine is always there as a last resort. Also you must have therapy to deal with the root causes. I was happily medicated for years only to find my anxiety issues were still around when i came off.

Cassie

Gemm
06-12-06, 23:35
Hello.
I have been on Seroxat for years and it has been a wonder drug for me. My Doctor is very keen that i come off it but every time i try (slowly reducing my dose) my anxiety symptoms return and are so bad i go back on it.
I am currently back to my highest dose. I wouldn't even be considering coming off it but my partner and i want a baby and medical advice says i should not take it while trying to concieve. I believe Seroxat changed my life.

Gem

squirrel
07-12-06, 00:19
anyone interested in finding out about Seroxat should look up paxil progress.org and then you can make an informed choice.

Cassie
07-12-06, 15:25
Bearing in mind paxilprogress.org is biased against the use of Seroxat so you'll hear all the negatives.

squirrel
09-12-06, 00:51
True but there are two sides to every story.

mmm111
10-12-06, 11:29
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi there -seroxat was my life saver for 7 years. I was fine on it, but it started to wear off. I decided to come off it as i no longer felt i needed it as it wasnt doing much anyway. Now sroxat is my hell on earth. I am in the process of coming off it. I was on 20mg and now i'm on 6mg and probably wont be off it for a good few months yet. the withdrawal feels like it is literally killing me at the moment!! I need to get off it as i want to start a family.

Otis x

<div align="right">Originally posted by otis - 06 December 2006 : 09:21:25</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

mmm111
10-12-06, 11:30
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi there -seroxat was my life saver for 7 years. I was fine on it, but it started to wear off. I decided to come off it as i no longer felt i needed it as it wasnt doing much anyway. Now sroxat is my hell on earth. I am in the process of coming off it. I was on 20mg and now i'm on 6mg and probably wont be off it for a good few months yet. the withdrawal feels like it is literally killing me at the moment!! I need to get off it as i want to start a family.

Otis x

<div align="right">Originally posted by otis - 06 December 2006 : 09:21:25</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

mmm111
10-12-06, 11:46
If your doctor agrees that your treatment with paroxetine has been effective and your ready to come off but having withdrawal symptoms that mimic your original symptoms there are ways to withdraw that work.Generally coming down ml by ml is not helpful.The half life is not long enough to make this a useful way.I think the receptor binding effects like lots of drugs make the last few mls the most difficult.Also if your on something like 6mg then its not physiologically therapeutic.The symptoms your getting are SSRI withdrawal.Its sometimes helpful to stop taking the paroxetine when your in this situation and to take a very small dose of another SSRI with less problems e.g. citalopram 10mgs.This will get rid of the SSRI withdrawal symptoms your feeling but isn't really a treatment dose.Take it for 4 to 6 weeks to stabilise your system then stop the citalopram.SSRI discontinuation syndrome is less common with something like this especially after only 4-6weeks.
This only works if your anxiety disorder is treated properly but can be very helpful way of "escaping" a drug you feel trapped on.It works for lots of people.Obviously discuss it with your doctor first.