PDA

View Full Version : Spina Bifida

puzzledlass
25-04-14, 08:56
Hi all,

In my early 20's (I'm 30 now) I went to a chiropractor and had a full spine scan. When this was happening I was advised that I had a "small amount of spina bifida" at the bottom of my spine.

Now, I'm freaking out about this. Could this be now a large amount? I'm really afraid that this has gotten worse and I don't know what to do.

blueangel
25-04-14, 11:42
Hi there

I would guess that what the chiropractor found is a mild form of spina bifida, called spina bifida occulta (i.e. hidden). It's very common - I have it and I know at least 1 other person who has it as well. It's a small variation in the way the bottom of the spine has formed. For me, I have a small, fairly deep dimple over my tailbone and the very bottom of my spine is a bit flatter than it should be.

It's the way your spine has formed and it can't get worse.

RoseEve
25-04-14, 11:48
I don't think spinal bifida gets worse. Did he suggest you keep having scans?

NotCool
25-04-14, 13:44
Just a quick google on that condition makes me think that if "it got worse" and developed into a "large amount", you would definitely know. ;)

jillyb
25-04-14, 16:37
My friend has this and is now 61 ... It's never developed. I don't think they do. X

Button1
25-04-14, 16:38
I have this too. I only know about it as I recently had to terminate a pregnancy because the baby had such severe spina bifida and the consultant examined my back and said that the enormous birth mark I have at the base of my spine, that I'd always thought was normal (my sister has it too) was actually a sign of spina bifida occulta. It is what it is and doesn't get worse. Plus if its occulta it won't give you any problems, it's symptomless.

I would say though that if you are planning a pregnancy at any point, you will have to go on the high dose of folic acid to minimise the chance that any baby you carry it might develop it too. Being on the higher dose makes those chances really minimal so it's worth doing x

puzzledlass
25-04-14, 19:48
Thanks for the replies!

When the chiro spoke of it she mentioned it as calcification/spina bifida? Is this the same thing? I don't recall her saying to get follow up scans.

Sometimes I feel weaker in the lower back if you know what I mean? This has caused me to remember the scan and worry now. All these years later. -_-

puzzledlass
26-04-14, 02:13
so anxious!~