PDA

View Full Version : Misplaced Anxiety

mister_zed
25-04-14, 15:30
Hi. I have had problems with depression, anxiety & OCD all of my life.
I am aware that my condition is getting worse as I am getting older (I’m now 44) despite my expanding knowledge of the problem.

I have tried many medications, and I’ve tried coming off them I have tried many ‘talking’ therapies, CBT, Image Guided Relaxation, Mindfulness.
I’ve quit drinking alcohol, I have a varied diet, quite Mediterranean, lots of fish, I also make a point of eating, brown rice, beans, banana’s, foods that promote health & well-being. Even very dark chocolate, which is supposed to be good for you, I find it it’s so bitter though.
I avoid tea and coffee, I drink red bush and also peppermint tea, sweetened with honey.
I am fairly active; I walk a couple of miles to my parents’ house a few times a week. Occasionally I use my cross trainer.
My one vice I can’t shake at the moment is smoking 2 or 3 cigarettes per day, though there have been times when I have not smoked for months.
I wake every morning with a misplaced fear, my stomach in a knot, I am tired all day, all I want to do is sleep, I have to force myself to try and do the things that I used to enjoy, let alone household chores. Even when I do, let’s say, clean the kitchen, do some washing, walk the dog, I feel no better. I remain, anxious, depressed and tired.

I say the above fear is misplaced as I am fortunate enough to have few material problems that occupy my mind, life’s usual grinds, but my wife, teenage children, family and friends support me, I have no debts or people chasing me, my ruminations are usually a nonsense by-product of the OCD.

Has anyone had physical problems that have contributed to their panic and anxiety problems, such as:
Underactive thyroid gland, I tick the boxes..
• depression
• being sensitive to the cold
• dry skin and hair
• muscle aches

Also overactive adrenal glands can cause stress and anxiety.

I have made an appointment with my GP, he has omitted the above before, maybe I’ll’ get a second opinion.., anyone have anything else or have ideas or experience with similar problems, worth a mention..
Mr Z

Oosh
26-04-14, 09:30
Hi

Maybe it's genetic and was activated early in life.
Maybe you naturally have low serotonin levels.

I once heard serotonin described as like a calming sea which submerges the worries, anxiety icebergs. If levels aren't high enough it leaves the anxieties more exposed. If there's a history of it then maybe it's genetic and those levels are naturally low leaving you prone to these conditions.

I know lots of people don't like taking drugs to manipulate serotonin but maybe if you were found to have low levels no matter what you did that would be a logical reason to use them.

I heard its possible to have a gene passed down and can simply become activated by early experiences.

You seem to have done everything else, have you ever had serotonin levels checked ?
I read of someone doing that, I just can't remember where.

mister_zed
26-04-14, 09:44
Hi, thank you for the reply.
I didn't know Seretonin levels could be checked, I'll do some research..

Oosh
26-04-14, 10:07
I found this -

http://www.livestrong.com/article/354035-how-to-check-your-serotonin-level-for-depression/#page=1

My suggestion was just a long shot really as you seem to have tried all the other things anyone could think of.

But I suppose if they tell us some conditions are genetic then some levels must be naturally low to make us prone to these things.

Well at least if you haven't tried it I found something you haven't tried :yesyes:

mister_zed
26-04-14, 13:54
Nice one. Thanks.

MyNameIsTerry
27-04-14, 06:44
What causes GAD?

The exact cause of GAD is not fully understood, although it's likely that a combination of several factors plays a role. Research has suggested these may include:

overactivity in areas of the brain involved in emotions and behaviour
an imbalance of the brain chemicals serotonin and noradrenaline, which are involved in the control and regulation of mood
the genes you inherit from your parents – you're estimated to be five times more likely to develop GAD if you have a close relative with the condition
having a history of stressful or traumatic experiences, such as domestic violence, child abuse or bullying
having a painful long-term health condition, such as arthritis (http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Arthritis/Pages/Introduction.aspx)
having a history of drug or alcohol misuse (http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/alcohol-misuse/Pages/Introduction.aspx)
However, many people develop GAD for no apparent reason.

Thats from NHS Choices Mister Zed. Basically, the medical world just don't know.

There are other things to consider such as Candida, gluten, sugar, etc. I would suggest looking at the Top Tips and Natural Therapies boards where things like this are discussed, particularily by Lilharry and mbarger.

mister_zed
27-04-14, 10:59
Hi, thanks for the info.
I had a brain scan in 1999. It was a study of brain activity, comparing people who had OCD and people that did not, they found that my brain was was/is working in unusual patterns.
What to do about it is another matter.