PDA

View Full Version : Came of citalopram helpp

James3hr
26-04-14, 10:53
Hello, so a little behind my background and just a couple of questions, just to make a long story short. I had been on cit, 5 years i was doing great no problems I enjoyed life to the fullest, then bam I went to a 3 day concert event were I missed my pills and peer pressured to take molly, so I did. drove back home didnt sleep much woke up took my medication and felt horrible like when I first took my pill cloudy not able to concentrate focus or think well. Saw the doctor not much help just said I would feel better soon. I thought maybe it would take a couple months 2 or so and I would feel better held on to that hope. But I never got better Still felt like cloudy and not able to concentrate or focus well. Tapered down my medication within a 5 month period. now I am completely off 5 weeks and still feel the cloudy feeling do you guys think I might have permanently damaged something in my brain?? The cloudy feeling goes away when I drink alcohol strangely enough and i can actually think well... Can some of you share some advice please and also let me know if when you came off completely from the medication how long it took you to feel better??

Thanks, In need of alot of advice almost lost hope that I will ever be able to think clearly again.

SarahH
26-04-14, 11:08
Ok so I don't know what "Molly" is but I am guessing its a mind altering drug.... so this could be a combination of Serotonin Withdrawal symptoms together with your mind playing a few tricks on you and "remembering" the experience with the drug you took. As it's been so long now I would say stay with it and things will slowly get better.... stop worrying.... and as an older and (supposedly) wiser person... stop messing with drugs!! They are not good for people with mental health problems (lecture over) :D

sarah

James3hr
30-04-14, 09:30
thanks for advise, I have definitely learned my lesson no more drugs for me, things have gotten better this week I thought I was going to be stuck like i was last week for life, thats how horrible it felt but things are getting better. thanks again

Linda01818
30-04-14, 14:01
It will pass. I was on celexa for 3 years and weaned myself off (coming down slowly, not abruptly) and the withdrawal was pretty terrible. Dizziness, feeling like my head was floating above my body, night sweats, visual disturbances, confusion, etc. And, like you, I felt better when I was drinking. I guess maybe the effects of the alcohol masked the withdrawal from the citalopram and I simply couldn't tell the difference.

I've been off of it for about 2 years now and, to be honest, I don't think my head has ever gotten completely back to normal (I live with dizziness just about every day) but it's better than it was.

My doctor just recently wanted to try me on Lexapro because my anxiety has become worse again. Just two days in and my appetite was gone, I was getting brain zaps and was so lightheaded I couldn't even drive to work. I grabbed the bottle of Lexapro, tossed it into the trash and that was that. No more. No more of these mind-altering drugs. The citalopram helped me put my life back together when I had bad anxiety and panic attacks, but never again will I go on these medications. I'll live with the anxiety before going back on those drugs.

I take the occasional ativan when I need it and that's as far as I'm willing to go anymore.

James3hr
04-05-14, 08:13
Hi linda, how are your side effects now? I am still having issues I thought I was improving more and more but somehow it halted and I am having shor tterm memory issues as well as dizzyness. IT is crazy how alcohol somewhat takes away the side effects. where you able to still function well? because I am about to start a job and I pray everyday that these side effects will go away so I can do a good job.

---------- Post added at 00:13 ---------- Previous post was at 00:10 ----------

That might end up being my case as well no more, In the begging when I was on them I felt great I could think straight and everything now everything is a mess. So much dizzyness and confusion its crazy. Did the withdrawal symptoms go away to a point where you could function normally? think well enough to do work?

SADnomore
04-05-14, 16:16
James, I really think you should book in an appointment with your doctor where you can go over everything, your prior experience, your withdrawal, how you feel now and what your fears are for another drug making things no better or even worse. Personally, I am on Effexor and can think straight fine and everything is normal for me. But the start up gave me side effects, that's why they tell you to give it 4 weeks. It's like that for all drugs really, even blood pressure meds. So, yes, if you are starting a new job immediately, maybe the doctor can give you something mild, or start you on a low dose. Even staying away from coffee and of course nicotine is key. I would not try driving or working on Ativan. It is a very strong benzodiazapene, you will need to be home. They can definitely be habit-forming, and so can alcohol. More quickly than you think! And they will not help with your short-term memory, trust me :wacko: Bit of bad timing with the new job, but as I say, your doctor may suggest something else with very few side effects that will ease your anxiety. There are beta blockers, for example. Go see him, good luck :flowers:
Marie

James3hr
05-05-14, 02:19
Your right I will make an appt asap thanks for the advice.

Linda01818
05-05-14, 13:35
Hi linda, how are your side effects now? I am still having issues I thought I was improving more and more but somehow it halted and I am having shor tterm memory issues as well as dizzyness. IT is crazy how alcohol somewhat takes away the side effects. where you able to still function well? because I am about to start a job and I pray everyday that these side effects will go away so I can do a good job.

---------- Post added at 00:13 ---------- Previous post was at 00:10 ----------

That might end up being my case as well no more, In the begging when I was on them I felt great I could think straight and everything now everything is a mess. So much dizzyness and confusion its crazy. Did the withdrawal symptoms go away to a point where you could function normally? think well enough to do work?

I never really lost the dizziness, but the brain fog eventually goes away. My 'cognitive skills' are, for the most part, back to normal. I still have occasional moments where I feel confused, but that's probably just age :blush:

You have a message.