PDA

View Full Version : I hate this fear of passing out!

LyingScotsman
26-04-14, 22:31
He folks! Hope you are all well. I should start by saying that when my anxiety started a few years ago my main fear was having a sezuire. Just a few months ago, I got over this fear and now it has been replaced with the fear of passing out. I have asked people in the past if it was possible to have a sezuire due to anxiety, and they told me it wasn't. Ever since I got used to the fact it was just my anxiety that was making me think this, I finally got over it. The bad news is that I am now fearing about fainting. I have asked people if it wad possible to faint while having a panic attack, and they told me it was. It doesn't help when I have seen these wedding videos of people fainting due to having a panic attack on You've been Framed. Does anyone have any advice to help me get over this dreaded fear? Thanks!

Sunflower2
26-04-14, 22:36
My cbt therapist says that it doesn't matter what the trigger is, it's just the same way of dealing with it. The thought triggering the reaction which makes you scared and then it just keeps on cycling around. How did you get over it last time? Can you try doing the same for this? Have you had any cbt therapy?

LyingScotsman
26-04-14, 22:42
It was the fact that I knew that there was no way I could have a sezuire that got me over that fear. But the problem is that I hear that you CAN faint due to a panic attack that makes it tough to get over.

---------- Post added at 22:42 ---------- Previous post was at 22:40 ----------

I have not cbt therapy. :)

Sunflower2
26-04-14, 22:48
It's really good because it teaches you that you don't need to react to your thoughts, and you can eventually realise you're being irrational before it takes hold.. There are lots of books on it, but you can usually get it through the nhs - I did anyway! Have a search on it, also there is a good website to use called moodgym which takes you through it.

Also, fainting from a panic attack is really really unlikely because when you faint it's because your blood pressure is too low.. And in a panic attack your blood pressure goes higher! So it's not possibly! The dizziness is just your heart racing and because there's so much adrenaline going on. I've gotten dizzy while driving and panicking but just focus on breathing slowly and it does go away :)

MRS STRESS ED
26-04-14, 22:51
He folks! Hope you are all well. I should start by saying that when my anxiety started a few years ago my main fear was having a sezuire. Just a few months ago, I got over this fear and now it has been replaced with the fear of passing out. I have asked people in the past if it was possible to have a sezuire due to anxiety, and they told me it wasn't. Ever since I got used to the fact it was just my anxiety that was making me think this, I finally got over it. The bad news is that I am now fearing about fainting. I have asked people if it wad possible to faint while having a panic attack, and they told me it was. It doesn't help when I have seen these wedding videos of people fainting due to having a panic attack on You've been Framed. Does anyone have any advice to help me get over this dreaded fear? Thanks!

Hi love the answer is no this was my worst fear two doctors told me it is impossible because when you have a panic attack it raises your blood pressure ,to faint it has to do the oppersite in other words if you have low blood pressure ,since then I dont worry im going to faint hope this helps hun xx

LyingScotsman
26-04-14, 22:58
Thanks for the kind replies. It has really helped. :)

MRS STRESS ED
26-04-14, 23:07
Thanks for the kind replies. It has really helped. :)

Your very welcome hun just try to tell yourself your not going to faint and you felt like this before and nothing bad happened xx

aprilmoon
26-04-14, 23:25
I used to get this a lot.Breathing steady not only gives you something to think about,it also helps the symptoms ease.
If you're in a supermarket say,and you
start to feel like that,grab a tin or something off a shelf and start counting the vowels in the writing,when you've done that,count the number of words on each line,and things like that.
It works! Keeping your mind distracted on something like that will slow your breathing and calm you.
If its still not working,and it should have helped at least a bit,then complicate it even more by picking up another tin,packet,or whatever,and compare it with the first!
I know it might sound daft,but give it a try.
When you've found that it helps,it can become one of your crutches,and just knowing you can do it,will help you cope.
Good luck!

marlowe78
13-06-14, 15:59
I've had two fainting episodes in my life, one when I was 12 or 13, the other 5 years ago (I'm 36 now). Now that I've gotten through some of my anxiety issues, I have this new fear of passing out somewhere. I have a lazy/overtly relaxed feeling throughout my body and I often have a lightheaded feeling that is not dizziness, more like a kind of sleepiness. I stop worrying about it when I'm distracted with something else but I worry about it a lot when I'm alone, as if I'm going to stop getting enough blood to my head and pass out cold. My chest muscles also feel mildly strained after I bathe at night - not pain, just a feeling that they've been stretched - and I feel even drowsier.

I get enough sleep at night so I don't know what's causing this. My diet has also been okay and I've made changes lately to improve it. I've just been to my doctor and everything seems alright. The one thing I wonder is if my recent anxiety has been 'burned off' and I'm healing up. :shrug: