PDA

View Full Version : Can I rule an Aneurysm out 100%? Can't take this anymore!

Hikaru
26-04-14, 23:55
So hi, you don't know me yet, but I can probably claim title as the worst Hypochondriac in the world. I've been to the hospital hundreds of times and called 911 more than that, I can't even count anymore. Medicaid probably hates me and it's a wonder they haven't kicked me off the insurance yet.

Normally I TRY to deal with it, go to the hospital, get reassurance, have that reassurance for a while, and just, yeah. But it never works for long. Logic? Doesn't work. I can't shut that looped thought process in the brain up that says "What if this is the one time you're right? What if? What if? You could die!" It NEVER shuts up. Medications of the past have not worked. Taking myself off caffeine 3 years ago helped a bit, I was a ticking time bomb then, and after I stopped drinking any or eating any, I got less of a ticking time bomb. But these passed two weeks, it's like EVERYTHING has regressed.

I can't do ANYTHING to calm myself down. And of course it's my number one health fear. Cerebral Aneurysms. The silent, and normally hard to detect killer.
I fear aneurysms so much I've probably had over 15 cat scans (my 16th I THINK was yesterday). Maybe more.. Yeah I'm in for brain cancer due to that probably.

So what happened this and last week?

It started on the 14th, the day of the Passover or for Jehovah's Witnesses, the Memorial. Early in the day I had dizziness and felt faintish like usual. So I of course called 911, they got there, checked my vitals, said its most likely not an aneurysm and I opted not to go to the hospital. Once I managed to calm down we went to the Memorial. While sitting there I was still kind of anxiety ridden, and kept moving my head and changing positions during the talk. All of a sudden I heard a loud pop in the left side of my head near my ear. Instantly panic flooded through me and I got up, went to the door and had one of the Elder Brothers call 911. Got taken to the hospital. They did nothing, said it was a panic attack, if it was an aneurysm I'd be dead already, the usual, sent me home.

Still freaked out, I demanded Dan (my boyfriend) to take me to the hospital in another town over to get a CT Scan since this one was now bias against me. After a fight about it he finally did. Went, got my CT Scan, everything normal, no aneurysm, thought I was reassured. This was the 15th. Thought everything was normal, hahaha, no >.<

Night of the 16th! We were going over to Dan's parents. Everything seemed fine, we were talking in the car. Suddenly it was like someone submerged my head into water, my ears blocked, Dan's talking became further and further away and it was hard to hear him, my head was on fire and in pressure, etc. It didn't go away till I opened the door while he was still driving and let the pressure out of the car. Ran into his parents house, freaked out and begged them to call 911, Went to the hospital. They of course again did NOTHING, said it wasn't an aneurysm, sent me home, told me to get a Neurologist.

Finally scheduled a Neurologist appointment on the 17th. But they won't have an opening till May 5th. Yeah, a long time to wait, either way I scheduled it. Thought that day would be normal. Near 10pm, I had an episode where I couldn't breathe, I was reading and suddenly it was like someone knocked the wind out of me and made me light headed, there was pressure in my chest, and I couldn't breathe to read the next word. Then had pain in chest to back region. Called 911, went to the hospital. Demanded a blood test even after the EKG was normal to rule out heart attack completely, and was finally diagnosed with GERD (Heartburn can cause breathlessness? News to me.)

Night of 18th Normal? Thought it was. We were near Dan's Grandparents in the car, just got Burger King and I was eating. Suddenly had weakness in the head, couldn't hold it up, and a headache. Went in, called 911, got taken to yet ANOTHER hospital. In the waiting room waiting to be seen, had an electrical shock sensation in my neck near the base of my head. Doctor gave me a Muscle Relaxer prescription and said it might be due to the Trapezius in my neck. (I have bad posture, to the point my C1 disc is pushing against my brains tem at times, and my neck is ALWAYS in pain and out of whack.)

Got through the 19th without a hospital visit. 20th - present, more headaches, more hospital trips. About 4 more added to that. PLUS two more CT scans. One regular, everything normal of course. OF COURSE you can't convince me because I've heard unruptured aneurysms don't show up on a regular non-contrast CT Scan. So my thinking is that okay, I was fine THAT day and it wasn't a stroke, but I could have had an unruptured aneurysm that ruptured TODAY that wasn't seen.

FINALLY a hospital took me seriously yesterday. They didn't give me the MRI I want, but they did a CT Angiogram. They said this could rule out small unruptured aneurysms and finally give me the reassurance I wanted. I was fine after that, thought I'd be great. Till I went to the internet.

I google imaged CTA scan images and saw that the images are hardly clearer than that of the regular non-contrast CT Scan images. It's the MRI/MRA images that are clearest. And I also googled if it could detect them, it says CT Scans miss aneurysms all the time, even CTA ones. So I'm back to where I started, no reassurance, panicked.

I got a closer Neurologist appointment from my PCP for Tuesday (29th) But I feel like any minute now I could have the worst headache of my life and bleed out and die, or silently bleed out and die, not survive, etc. I'm sitting here panicked in fear and will probably spend another night or few nights in the hospital.

Oh and before you say to stop reading the internet, I don't have to, I've memorized it all. And unlike other Hypochondriacs, I didn't just read symptoms. I read survival stories, how people went through aneurysms, how they felt, the symptoms they had, their entire journey, so I would know more and more of what to look for. The fact some lived days with one bleeding proving you don't always just die like the hospital loves to say when I say I think I have one.

....I'm going insane. What do I do? Is there a way to 100% rule this out or will I be like this forever?

Catherine S
27-04-14, 00:12
Wow! You have alot to cope with there! So, to answer your question in the English understated way...no, there isn't any 100% assurance about absolutely anything and striving for 100% will always end in failure because its not possible. Why do you want 100%? Are you a perfectionist by nature? Can you settle for say 80%? if you can then you can begin to recover.

ISB x

AlexandriaUK
27-04-14, 00:12
Wow after reading that I am sure there is absolutely nothing I can say to convince you that you are not having an aneurism, so I want try, after all those tests I'm sure you should be convinced by now that Its all to do with your illness, the real one HA same as Dr told you, you are wasting your life waiting for your aneurysm to happen, what will convince you Its not going to, sorry if Its a bit blunt x

Hikaru
27-04-14, 00:19
Wow! You have alot to cope with there! So, to answer your question in the English understated way...no, there isn't any 100% assurance about absolutely anything and striving for 100% will always end in failure because its not possible. Why do you want 100%? Are you a perfectionist by nature? Can you settle for say 80%? if you can then you can begin to recover.

ISB x

So I know that there's no chance of me having an aneurysm and dying.
I just feel like.. that if it's not 100% that I don't have one, there could be a small one or a hard to see one in there somewhere that they didn't detect, like some of the survival stories.

That it will rupture, that I'll be one of the ones to bleed out in an instant and die. ... 80% still carries that chance of there being one, which won't shut my fear and that thought process up :huh:

AlexandriaUK
27-04-14, 00:26
Sorry if you thought my post was a bit harsh which you obviously did or you would have answered It, no one in the world can give you guarantees on our health , has a close relative died of one

Catherine S
27-04-14, 00:28
Why do you think in this way...do you suffer with headaches and such? If its a fear without symptoms then nobody will be able to reassure you. The thing is, that this could happen yes, with no symptoms, just one day happen...but how could you stop it from happening in this way if you don't feel it coming? You cannot live your life waiting for something to happen that would just take you anyway, just in that moment. Live your life and to hell with it!

Danii
27-04-14, 01:04
First of all, let me tell you, I feel for you, and I hope you get through this, this is one of my biggest fears as well, however, I've never had a scan done. That being said, I work in a major hospital in a huge city. I work on a trauma and surgery recovery unit. 80% of the patients I see have had aneurysms. Most of them are there because they had some type of scan, something was found, and the aneurysm was coiled, thus fixing it. The other small amount I see are people who had had aneurysms that burst, and are now on their road to recovery.

Im not a doctor, but I'm speaking from years of experience in the field. If you have had that many ct scans, honestly, they would have seen it by now.

I often find myself exactly where you are, in a panic, about to dial 911. I always try to wait it out. Maybe the next time you feel like calling 911, as long as you are with someone, so you feel slightly safe, maybe try holding off. Try saying to yourself, if I don't feel better in five minutes, I'll call. I understand that in the case of a cerebral aneurysm every second counts, but this is all anxiety. You will get back to your regular self, please, try to believe and trust the doctors. Good luck.

Hikaru
29-04-14, 09:59
I looked at the CTA scan after getting a copy, those pictures are no clearer than a regular CT scan and the veins/arteries barely visible. I also saw several artifacts and bulges that look like photos of aneurysms on ct scans... Can the doctors be wrong?

Fishmanpa
29-04-14, 13:23
I've had cancer and you've had more scans that I've had before, during and after treatment. All have been negative and all have been read by medical professionals trained to do so. If all those tests cannot convince you, certainly a forum full of anxiety sufferers cannot do any better :(

I apologize by being so forthright but to even speculate that you see something in your scans that the medical professionals missed by using Google images as a tool is ludicrous. As has been said, one cannot get 100% guarantees unless you're worrying about testicular or prostate cancer of which you can't get due to gender ;)

You've certainly been through a heck of a time with your HA. One thing you didn't mention on your post is if you're getting help with it? Medical professionals are giving you a clean bill of health so perhaps some counseling, therapy, CBT, meds or a combination would be in order?

I do hope you find a way to quell the fears. It sounds exhausting :(

Positive thoughts

fairyloveheart
29-04-14, 13:24
You don't have an aneurysm. You have had so many scans and tests they would have seen something untoward on one of them. You are no
more likely to get one than anyone else. Now, I have bad health anxiety and worry about everything and it's much easier to be objective when it isn't about
Yourself so I do really understand what you are feeling.
You can't read the pictures as you have not been trained too so it's pointless. I have a lot of sinus problems and they can cause immense pressure in the ears, headaches, face pain and pressure. Could you have a sinus infection? They make me dizzy and have pain if the air pressure is high, or drops quickly. X

Yossino
29-04-14, 14:04
This is what's likely to happen vs you dieing:

You're gonna crack, not a blood vessel in your brain, but your mind. Your anxiety is gonna drive you up and down the wall, and eventually alienate you from your friends and family. You'll get to be so sick of worrying about this aneurysm you'll slowly lose your ability to enjoy life. You'll end up hating the worrying more than the possibility of dying.

You can either continue down that path or start fighting your true enemy of anxiety.