PDA

View Full Version : Chat room help

RedMozzy
05-12-06, 23:17
Hi,

Regarding help for anyone having problems with the chat room, I have the following tips...

The chat is java based, so make sure you have the latest version of your prefered browser (I recommend Firefox, its free and better than Internet Explorer) and also get the latest version of Java for your computer, again this is free and can be downloaded from http://www.java.com

Are you at work or behind a corporate firewall? If so, you will need to contact your administrator for help as most corporate firewalls will not let you access java pages like the chat room.

If you are still having problems, post questions here and either myself, or one of the other chat admins will try to help.

Kind regards

Alan

Alan (redmozzy)

Chat room Administrator

jill
06-12-06, 00:15
Hi Alan.:D

I have been a member for over 2 years, not used chat much, my thoughts get in the way, if you know what I mean, but I would like to give it ago.

Now my problem is at the mo, my son and hubby say Java slows the pc down, is this true [?]

We have had this pc for 2 years and its crashed twice, were you have to send it off to the pc hospital LOL we never find out the course of the crash, but hubby and son don't want to to activat Jave, just in case the pc crashes again.

I don't know mush about pc and when you do the chat about pc's I would like to be there to ask some questions, with a little problem I'm having with the pc. Ohhh don't want to miss it.

Than you

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXX

Ross
06-12-06, 13:10
Hi Jill. Java is only a very small application. It does run as a TSR in the background, but only really comes to life when using a Java Applet.

I wouldn't suggest you would have any problems if you install it.

------------------------------------------------
Is There Really Gravity, Or Does Earth Just Suck?

jill
06-12-06, 13:16
Thank you Ross [^]:D

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXX

Ross
06-12-06, 14:26
Bt the way Jill, feel free (as anyone can do if they wish) to post about your PC problems.

There are a few Computer Boffins who use this site, so hopefully, your problems can be resolved ASAP.

TC - Me xxx

RedMozzy
06-12-06, 17:26
Boffins? Speak for yaself Ross! lol

I'm a geek and proud

Alan (redmozzy)

Chat room Administrator

Ross
06-12-06, 17:56
lol Alan - I wasn't referring to myself.

*begs for a time warp back to the good old days of DOS and problematic free computing*

jill
10-12-06, 05:14
Hi all,

Ohhhh I don't know whats going on. can you help [?][?]

I don't know much about pc's [Duh!][Sigh...]

Well. I have a cordless mouse. I have 3 functions on it, eg, left click, right click and the middle is scroll. to pull gage down and read then,

It seems that when we use middle scroll, everything on the page dissapersres, mmmmm we can,t back click, everything just dissapeares. I can't find NMP. I have to go through, google, to get back on NMP.

If I use the left click its fine, but as soon as I use the middle scroll, ohh my goodness everything has gone and I can't find it. CAN YOU HELP [?] its a pain in the ***, oh please can you help.

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXX

Ross
10-12-06, 19:37
Hi Jill.

Did your mouse come with a CD.... It should have done, if not, don't despair, all you need to the make and model of the mouse (usually found on the bottom).

You need to get the driver for the mouse. A driver is a small piece of software which tells Windows how to use the Peripheral (in this case the mouse).

Windows itself has a Mouse Set-Up screen in the Control Panel, but its about as much use as a Chocolate Tea-Pot.

So, install the driver from the CD provided. (Or let me know the make and model number, and I will locate the relevant driver for you).

Once this is done, at the very right of your TaskBar (near the clock) will be a new icon (you may already have it there???). It will correspond to your Mouse settings. You can alter the way each of the buttons behave, including the Scroll Wheel.

Hope this helps. Please post as to how you get on with the above information, and if it doesn't solve the problem, I have another couple of solutions.

Kind Regards

Ross

Alex
11-12-06, 00:23
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">

Now my problem is at the mo, my son and hubby say Java slows the pc down, is this true [?]

<div align="right">Originally posted by jill - 05 December 2006 : 23:15:18</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Jill

Java will in no way slow your PC down.

Java is ONLY run whilst the chatroom is active and even when its running will not slow your machine down.

There are a lot of myths around regarding Java and my best advice is to ignore them all because 99% are wrong.

Kind Regards

Alex

jill
15-12-06, 16:03
Hi Alan :D

Thank you soo much for taking the time to explain things, it was so nice of you. I am sorry I have not got back to you sooner, but its the run up to exmas and I'm taking a little time away from the forums.

***Once this is done, at the very right of your TaskBar (near the clock) will be a new icon (you may already have it there???). It will correspond to your Mouse settings. You can alter the way each of the buttons behave, including the Scroll Wheel**

We do already have this, I looked at it, but not sure what setting it should be on. I am scared to mess with it, just incase I mess up all together [Duh!] LOL

It seems to work fine, the scroll, but if I put my favourites up on top of NMP and use the wheel there,( on favvorites) it takes everything off. I can back click and see on the url that its on the pc somewhere, but it does not bring it back onto the screen :(

There are sooo many setting, do you know which one its supposed to be on [?] I did try and change it a few times to other setting, but the problem still happend :(

Thank you soo much for trying to help, but your talking to someone who's knows NOTHING about pc's [:P] LOL

Thank you Alex for your reply :D

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXXX

Ross
15-12-06, 18:44
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">

It seems to work fine, the scroll, but if I put my favourites up on top of NMP and use the wheel there,( on favourites) it takes everything off. I can back click and see on the url that its on the pc somewhere, but it does not bring it back onto the screen :(

<div align="right">Originally posted by jill - 15 December 2006 : 15:03:48</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Hi Jill. Thats a Mystery as to why it removes your Favourites. It must have something to do with the Coding used when they designed the Favourites Window, so it doesn't support the Scrolling. Thats all I can think of.

I dont use Internet Explorer... but, if my memory serves me right, goto the Tools Tab (at the top of the window, to the right of Favourites, then Goto Internet Options (at the bottom of the list).

Once in there, click the Advanced Tab (at the topright of the window) and Look for 'Enable Personalized Favorites Menu'. Click the box to the left of it, so it has a green tick in. Now Click OK.

This will hide the Favourites you haven't used for a while, shortening the list, so scrolling shouldn't be necessary. You can access the less frequently used Favourites by clicking the little Down Arrow at the bottom of the list, so don't worry, they wont be deleted.

Sorry I cant provide you with a better solution.

Ross xxx

Edited to add: I assumed you mean Internet Favourites.... Did you mean the Favourites within NMP?

jill
15-12-06, 22:03
Hi Ross,

Thank you again for your reply. Will check it out.

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXX