PDA

View Full Version : So confused. Was this a panic attack?

Alice1
27-04-14, 22:48
So recently I've been very worried about my health, thinking I'm gonna die at any second etc etc.
But I've really been making every effort to change my mind (apart from excersing which I will find time for soon) because although the doctor referred me for a 24 hour ecg he says he thinks it might be anxiety so Im willing to try that theory out.

But today happened and now I'm so confused, so if you can bear with my many questions it would be much appreciated.

I was feeling off all day, a bit under the weather, nothing specific.

At 5ish me and my mum took the bus because we were going to a meditation class (the first one since I was about 15) and I was actually going to pay attention this time, not read a book whilst my mum meditated. Whilst we were in the bus station waiting for out second bus I started to feel a bit dizzy, or woozy I guess, which is the most recent devolpment of all these health problems and has been happening on and off recently. I breathed, distracted myself, told myself I would be fine, told myself that whatever happened would happen and panicking wouldn't help.

Fast forward to 6ish and the meditation. It was silent and I was sat on a chair but I kept feeling really woozy and felt like I couldn't really get enough air in. I thought hey, ok, this is odd, but I'm going to breathe and it's ok. You're interpreting innocent symptoms as catastrophic event, you're ok. I kept repeating this, kept breathing, and it was uncomfortable and took effort but it passed.

There was a teaching then and I was a bit woozy if I looked away from her face but relitively ok.

Then, the second meditation, I started feeling dizzy again and my head just felt so odd. I once again told myself I was fine, over and over. I tried to just let it pass. Relaxed and observed my body. Breathed. I even started adding 1+1, 2+2 etc but couldn't get past 16+16 (what is that again. primary school maths is HARD) But it didn't get better. My heartbeat got so so fast that it was really uncomfortable, I felt what I think was a palpatation and a bit of pain it was that fast. I felt like I couldn't really breathe despite trying to control my breath, I honestly thought I was going to pass out and die and felt really naseous. I managed to just bear with it and calmed down enough by the end of the meditation-where-I-did-no-meditation so that my heart was slower despite feeling a bit shaky.

But now I don't understand.
I acknowledged that it was probably a panic attack and did everything to calm down. But it not only happened once it happened again in the space of an hour.

Does this sound like a panic attack?
Why would it happen when I was at a meditation class? I'm not stressed? Out of the blue?
Why if I made every effort did it take so long to calm down (like over 10-15 minutes either time)?
If it is a panic attack how on earth would I prevent it next time. Or stop myself from having them. I really just don't understand why I would have them when I'm really starting to feel better about being anxious about my health regardless of if there is a problem or not.
Could anything else, i.e actually health related, cause these things?
Thank you.

AlexandriaUK
27-04-14, 23:01
Hi Alice I probably want be much helps but I will say that panic attacks can and do happen out of the blue and sometimes for no apparrant reason, they also can be hard to come out of, you did Really well I think to realise what was happening and to go with It, was that your first real panic attack, you should always see a Dr just to get checked over if It was your first that way you get peace of mind which can help to nip It in the bud.