PDA

View Full Version : Finally going to see my GP again....

cjw
28-04-14, 09:27
After 5 years of suffering with HA I have decided to go and see my GP today ( in 30 minutes. To be honest I'm terrified :weep:

For the last 5 years I've felt terrible everyday. Mainly heart related worries. To try and cope I have been drinking heavily (a bottle of wine and a couple of pints a day). I know this is the worst thing I can do but when I feel crap all day a couple of drinks makes me feel better:shrug:

Anyway, I have decided that I can't go on like this.......

I'm going to see my GP and hopefully get some help with cutting down my drinking and getting my HA under control.

I've tried citalopram and CBT a few years ago but they didn't really help. I'm hoping that reducing my alcohol intake will help gets things under control.

I'm dreading going but it's something I have to do........

littlemrs
28-04-14, 09:49
Well it's great that you are going to see your GP for advice. I'm going to see mine this morning too about HA issues. Like you, I'm really nervous about going.

Did you take citalopram for long? I've been on it for several years and sometimes i wonder if it is really helping but my husband tells me he sees a difference in me so I stick with it.

I hope you get the help you need :)

SarahH
28-04-14, 10:02
Well done to both of you...... be TOTALLY honest about your HA... and alcohol intake... its the best way forward. I am sure you don't need to be told that alcohol is both a stimulant and a depressant so is just making your HA worse as the years go by...... good luck to you both.

Sarah

cjw
28-04-14, 11:03
Well.......I've just got back from the doctors who have given me Citalopram 20 mg. She has told me to take them for 4 weeks and then we may increase the doseage if required. She said that reducing my alcohol intake and taking the citalopram will help. I'm going to give it a try but know I had some side effects last time I took the drugs. As I have lots of important meetings over the next 2 weeks I am going to wait until I start taking them and just cut out the alcohol for now. Or should I just jump in with both feet and start taking the meds?

littlemrs
28-04-14, 14:45
If you had a bad time starting Citalopram last time, maybe take 10mg for a week or two to start off slowly then increase to the full 20mg. That's what I did and I don't remember experiencing any nasty side effects other than the anxiety/panic I was already having.

You must do what feels right. Good luck!