PDA

View Full Version : Been to docs re sons gland

Kirbear
28-04-14, 20:17
So I've been panicking for over 3 weeks now about a swollen gland in my sons neck. I had originally thought due to a bit of a cold.

This gland is below his ear and next to his jaw, it's just over 2cm long and is moveable one way. It's not soft but not totally rock solid either. He has had a runny nose on and off with a slight cough.

Dr checked him over and gave him a course of antibiotics. His throat is slightly red, the Dr thinks he may have a bit of an infection that hasn't fully disappeared (he had chickenpox in Feb and a full blown cold straight after that)

Back in two weeks and if the gland hasn't gone down then he will be referred to a paediatrician.

He named the gland and said its suggestive of head and/or neck infection.

True to form my panic hasn't faded one little bit!

Mrschurchill
28-04-14, 20:33
Aw fingers crossed the antibiotics clears it up in no time! Let us know how he's managing :) xx

Kirbear
29-04-14, 06:54
I do hope so, I now face another 2 weeks of worry! :doh:

Thank you, I will :)

RoseEve
29-04-14, 10:40
My son, almost 2 has one behind his ear that has never gone away. It's been checked several times. The doctor said sometimes you can just feel lymph nodes in little ones. When they grow you can't feel it anymore.

Kirbear
29-04-14, 17:22
Thanks RoseEve. That's reassuring. I wouldn't worry so much if it was a bit smaller

cattia
29-04-14, 20:14
My friend's son had a swollen gland like that in his collarbone. He had had chicken pox around two months before and the Dr said it was caused by that, apparently they take a while to go back down. Her son was also put on antibiotics and this reduced the swelling slightly so the doctor wasn't worried.

Kirbear
29-04-14, 20:19
Thank you Cattia! :) he didn't have a severe case of chickenpox but he has a few scars. He had a small gland up near his ear that hasn't vanished and doc said a while ago it's from his chickenpox. He said he wouldn't refer him for any further tests even if this big gland only goes down slightly so fingers crossed! x